How accurate are the online wireless calculators?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
0ldman
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 3:54    Post subject: How accurate are the online wireless calculators? Reply with quote
Gents with experience, how accurate are sites like http://www.zytrax.com/tech/wireless/calc.htm ?

I've got a 10.5dBi omni on top of a 130ft tower 3.25 miles away. According to this calculator, I should get a -80 signal with another 10.5dBi on the client side.

I've gotten access 5 miles away with a 24dBi parabolic about 8ft off the ground, -89dB signal, but I'm pretty sure my signal is weak due to the 8 degree beamwidth being shot over the client AP's antenna. To verify my thoughts, I'm asking anyone with experience how accurate these calcs are.

I'm just at the testing phase of a WISP, working with the antennas I already have, this is not for the final product.

If the calculators are fairly accurate according to someone else's experience, I'm thinking about putting my 10.5dBi omni on top of a 40ft antenna pole to break the tree tops and try to access my other AP for further testing. If the calculators are overly optimistic, I'll just wait until I get the tower up.

DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 6:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
Like everything on the internet, I wouldn't use the info as fact. You have to take into consideration obsticals, like trees, and interferance that the calculater can't take into consideration.

So, to answer your question, no I have never seen this site before. But, I predict that the added hight on the 10.5dBi will help, just don't expect mericals.

WRT54G v1.1- SP1, xbox cooling fan.
WRTSL54GS - DD-WRT v23 SP2 (09/15/06) voip
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: