Asus RT-AC88U AC3100

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Jonathan
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 20:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well after trying numerous combinations of port*vlans and vlan*ports settings, still no luck.

AC88U may have to wait until the GUI VLAN interface is fixed. As it is, if you need VLAN support, I'm not sure I'd recommend this router for DD-WRT duty.

Going to try a few additional things.

EDIT: finally got 802.1q VLANs working via nvram manipulation after many hours of raw trial-and-error, using one of the LAN ports (LAN port 3, identified by the nvram variable as "port1vlans" and as port "1" in the vlan*ports variables).

Annoying, but functional.

No attempt to modify the VLANs GUI page worked, and all such attempts resulted in lockups without fail.
Sponsor
amplatfus
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 13:03    Post subject: LAN Reply with quote
Jonathan wrote:
Well after trying numerous combinations of port*vlans and vlan*ports settings, still no luck.

AC88U may have to wait until the GUI VLAN interface is fixed. As it is, if you need VLAN support, I'm not sure I'd recommend this router for DD-WRT duty.

Going to try a few additional things.

EDIT: finally got 802.1q VLANs working via nvram manipulation after many hours of raw trial-and-error, using one of the LAN ports (LAN port 3, identified by the nvram variable as "port1vlans" and as port "1" in the vlan*ports variables).

Annoying, but functional.

No attempt to modify the VLANs GUI page worked, and all such attempts resulted in lockups without fail.

Hi,

Please, in case I need to use LAN for wired internet from WAN all 8 ports are working?

Thank you!
zonez
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 16:42    Post subject: Re: LAN Reply with quote
I have the exact same question. Will all ports work after moving to dd-wrt?

Jonathan wrote:

Hi,

Please, in case I need to use LAN for wired internet from WAN all 8 ports are working?

Thank you!
georgarmbruster
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:59    Post subject: Re: LAN Reply with quote
I'm running a RT-AC88U on the 30880 build and can confirm that all LAN ports work...

Kind regards,
Georg

zonez wrote:

Jonathan wrote:

Hi,

Thank you!
smitna
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 17:33    Post subject: Re: LAN Reply with quote
I am also running the 30880 build and ports 5-8 are not usable.
What's your "special" config?

regards

georgarmbruster wrote:
I'm running a RT-AC88U on the 30880 build and can confirm that all LAN ports work...

Kind regards,
Georg

zonez wrote:

Jonathan wrote:

Hi,

Thank you!
jwang3723
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 18:56    Post subject: AC3100 DD-WRT failure Reply with quote
I had painful experience with this routers DD-WRT. I have flashed 3 other routers (cheap ones) so that I can use them as WIFI client adapters for my VoIP, Printers, etc.

For this new AC 3100, I was able to flash to DD-WRT, but I got horrible signal : signal quality used to be 75% with stock firmware, now 44%. And worse yet, I get much slower wifi speed, even if I turn x Power to 999mw. In addition, the leds are useless -- WAN led was red but I still can connect to internet.

So decided to revert back to ASUS stock firmware - it was absolutely painful.

First, you can not just use firmware upgrade from the DD-WRT GUI -- it always goes back to DD-WRT even though it says successfully upgraded (with Asus stock firmware).

After much searching, I found this site and sure enough I am not alone. I downloaded ASUS firmware restoration tool, but only found the LAN ports do not connect. Then tried to install a different version of the DD-WRT -- success!

However with this version of DD-WRT firmware in recovery mode, while uploading the stock firmware, at 100%, it says "fail to Recover the System".

In desperation, I tried to switch to another version of DD-WRT (July 25 2016 version). Success and now leds seemed to correct except WAN led is off. It was not able to get an IP address from DHCP. After configuring a static IP 192.168.200.20 (AC3100 WAN is connected to my main router), the WAN led becomes red (was off) - so still refused to join the network.

Fortunately after some 30-30-30 reset, I was able to get LAN working somehow, so quickly connected to recover utility and successfully uploaded ASUS stock firmware, and recovered successfully!!!

Lessons learned -- for a sophisticated router like AC3100, don't mess with DD-WRT. There are too many router details of this router for the DD-WRT community to get this right in any time soon! I would stay away from DD-WRT for any expensive routers.
Jonathan
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 20:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
I was able to get VLANs working on this router, but the order of the ports remained switched around on the version I'm using (build 30471) and it took a fair amount of nvram programming. Any attempt to modify things on the VLAN tag resulted in a router lockup, necessitating a reset to default settings.

I have it running as an access point.

The settings below resulted in LAN port 3 being the trunked port for VLANs 1, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, and 8.

vlan1ports=0 1t 2 3 5 7*
vlan2ports=4 7u
vlan3ports=1t 7
vlan4ports=1t 7
vlan5ports=1t 7
vlan6ports=1t 2t 7
vlan7ports=1t 2t 7
vlan8ports=1t 2t 7

port0vlans=15 18 19 21
port1vlans=1 3 4 5 6 7 8 16 18 19 21
port2vlans=1 6 7 8 16 18 19 21
port3vlans=1 18 19 21
port4vlans=15 18 19 21
port5vlans=1

lan_ifnames=vlan1 vlan2 eth1 eth2 eth3
rc_startup=nvram set lan_ifnames="vlan0 vlan1 eth1 eth2 eth3"

I had to replicate the following vlan 1 settings manually for the other vlans:

vlan1_label=
vlan1_ipaddr=0.0.0.0
vlan1_isolation=1
vlan1_txq=1000
vlan1_bridged=1
vlan1_dns_ipaddr=0.0.0.0
vlan1_netmask=0.0.0.0
vlan1_mtu=1500
vlan1hwname=et1
vlan1_multicast=0
vlan1_dns_redirect=0
vlan1_nat=0

I'm attaching an image of the resulting VLAN tab.

VLAN 2 is unused; it seems to serve a purpose internal to the router.

VLANs 6-8 are wishful thinking at this point, as DD-WRT doesn't seem to allow one to create more than 4 BSSIDs per band, and I'm using both 2.4 and 5 GHz bands for each BSSID.

vlan.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  70.07 KB
 Viewed:  23549 Time(s)

vlan.png

vlan.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  97.53 KB
 Viewed:  23549 Time(s)

vlan.png

beren
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 22:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
Did this router ever come with an unencrypted CFE?
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 22:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yes, I have a unit with cfe 1.0.3.9. If flashed the first dd-wrt build on it but the newest ones are too big.
So this weekend I tried the kong build for the r8500 and it installed fine. Today I flashed the rt-ac5300 build from Kong and it works.

On my rt-ac3100 that is.

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 0:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
hello guys,

Thinking to buy this router to replace my old D-Link DSR-250 8 port router...

Want to make sure that the latest 2017 DD WRT FW has it all sorted out and not issues running it.

Thanks
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 1:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
Chances are great you will get a unit with a cfe that prevents any dd-wrt from going on it. and if by chance you get a unit like mine that allows dd-wrt, forget about using the firmware from the past few months.
The files keep getting larger and larger every release, preventing them from being flashed.
The issue has been raised but I wouldn't count on anything being done about it.

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 1:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
Malachi wrote:
Chances are great you will get a unit with a cfe that prevents any dd-wrt from going on it. and if by chance you get a unit like mine that allows dd-wrt, forget about using the firmware from the past few months.
The files keep getting larger and larger every release, preventing them from being flashed.
The issue has been raised but I wouldn't count on anything being done about it.

1. CFE? not sure what it stands for...
How can i tell it its possible or not? SN or something?

2. Larger DD-WRT is getting larger and RT88 has some limited space for FW?

3.So only chances to get most of it (if DD WRT wont work) use merlin or Tomato?

Thanks Wink
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 2:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
Merlin. I'm not sure it's supported by tomato firmware.
If you flash Merlin on it, under tools it should say what the bootloader (cfe) version is.
Mine is 1.0.3.9, which accepts dd-wrt. Newer units have version 3.0. something. I don't remember exactly.
If you google it, you should be able to find posts describing the issue.

See here http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=1069996

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 0:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks for tips...

One more question - about OpenVPN - if this is not the right topic, where to ask?

---
Lets say when i connect via Router (as client) to VPN provider - can i somehow define which IP/connection will use VPN and which not?

Thanks
thechez
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 23:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
I just wanted to give a huge thanks for those who developed this firmware. I was using Merlin before but whenever I activated a virtual machine on my NAS everything would go haywire.
I decided to try this firmware before giving up on my 3100 and it works like a charm. No issues and everything works great. Good connectivity and good speeds.
Cheers!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 4 of 5
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: