Kodi and DD-WRT with Archer C9: Cannot install any add-ons

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
fmll
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 4:19    Post subject: Kodi and DD-WRT with Archer C9: Cannot install any add-ons Reply with quote
I have several devices on which I use Kodi. Prior to installing dd-wrt firmware on my TP-Link Archer C9 I had no issues whatsoever. I immediately regretted my decision to flash the firmware, as I had no idea that I could not easily revert it back to stock on the C9, and now I am in a bind.

Therefore, I am left to ask a question. What could possibly be the cause for me to not be able to download add-ons in Kodi? I am by no means an expert in networking. The devices which already have Kodi installed function perfectly. But when trying to reinstall Kodi on a device, I have not been able to download any add-ons. My PC will simply freeze for a few seconds, and then not install anything.

I am at a loss, and am desperate for help. Anyone who could please shed some light on the issue, I would greatly appreciate it.
Sponsor
js1662
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
Have you verified that the problem is indeed caused by dd-wrt on your router? In case you have a modem router, your main router, have you tried connecting your device to the main router and see if the problem goes away?

Since you suspect that the problem is related to C9, I will move this thread to the correct forum which is Broadcom.
Xeon2k8
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:40    Post subject: Re: Kodi and DD-WRT with Archer C9: Cannot install any add-o Reply with quote
fmll wrote:
I have several devices on which I use Kodi. Prior to installing dd-wrt firmware on my TP-Link Archer C9 I had no issues whatsoever. I immediately regretted my decision to flash the firmware, as I had no idea that I could not easily revert it back to stock on the C9, and now I am in a bind.

Therefore, I am left to ask a question. What could possibly be the cause for me to not be able to download add-ons in Kodi? I am by no means an expert in networking. The devices which already have Kodi installed function perfectly. But when trying to reinstall Kodi on a device, I have not been able to download any add-ons. My PC will simply freeze for a few seconds, and then not install anything.

I am at a loss, and am desperate for help. Anyone who could please shed some light on the issue, I would greatly appreciate it.

I have Kodi running on several Fire Sticks and x86 PCs on all of my 3 routers. Everything smoothly so it must be something else. In case you are desperate issue erase nvram && reboot, use it with vainilla config and try kodi again.

R6250 - BS 29193 running since 03/20/16 - (AP - NAS - FTP - SMB - DNSMasq - AdBlocking)
fmll
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 20:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
I was able to dismiss Kodi itself by using my Phone's 4G connection, and it was able to connect to repositories and download/install add-ons.

Now I'm seeing it might have been entirely a huge coincidence, after reading this article http://koditips.com/cant-install-kodi-addons-could-not-connect-to-repository/

I've read that ISPs may now be blocking the source urls, hence why I can connect through 4G but not through my router. I've read that using a VPN may help fix this issue.

Can anyone shed some light on this before I purchase a VPN service?
Per Yngve Berg
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 8:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
Determine if it's a DNS lookup issue or you cannot reach the server.
Xeon2k8
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 8:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well as the article says, try on a PC to access addons git repositories, like this https://offshoregit.com/exodus/ If that works then it's not the router. And if that doesn't work chances that it's because of the router are not high either. You could try using your phone as a hotspot, then connecting the router to your phone's wifi and see how that goes.
R6250 - BS 29193 running since 03/20/16 - (AP - NAS - FTP - SMB - DNSMasq - AdBlocking)
Brimmy
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 16:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
Early last year say about February, i installed Kodi and many addons on my PC and had no issues accessing content or without any long buffering times or lag. My router is always DHCP and i used Kodi 15.2_Isengard.
jheide44
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 14:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
FWIW, sometimes when using "those types of Repos" you may need to disable add blocking (or setup an exception).

Services > Ad Blocking > Privoxy

that was my "secret sauce" a while back...

but I can't remember what I was updating, or whose repo it was... one of the add-ons, openELEC, one of the RetroPi things? (probably not openHAB)

I just remember a RaspPi, an issue & after disabling Privoxy I was able to get run the update.

EDIT:
PS. you also realize that many "unofficial" add on repos are getting shut down and re-opening at a new URL... copyright crackdowns & such. You may also need to setup new repos for your add-ons & the dd-wrt cause/effect might have just been timing thing from your point of view.

_.-:Curently Deployed Devices:-._
Loc_1.0: R6400 -- v3.0-r51887 std (02/28/23)
Loc_2.0: R6300v2 -- Kong PTB 35550M 03-28-2018

Others: too many others to list

R7000 (& similar HW) Tips/Tricks HERE.

Assumptions:
1. Everyone on the forum has read the relevant forum section announcements.
2. For Broadcom section we have ALL at least tried to understand the "Peacock" thread,
HERE
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: