EA6300V1 Serial Dump and pinout question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
emunity
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 15:17    Post subject: EA6300V1 Serial Dump and pinout question Reply with quote
I wanted to verify the pinouts for the serial port on the EA6300V1(EA6400). I have both a EA6300V1 and a EA6400. The EA6300V1 already has been modified with DD-WRT running well but before I plan on flashing DD-WRT on the EA6400 I want to grab the full virgin CFE file 1.5mb, both the bootup and showall for nvram as Malachi did in the EA6300V1 thread. I left posts at the end there but no one replied.

LOM referred Malachi to another thread of Fractal's for the pinout information on the EA2700 6 pin.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=172389&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=45

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=153481&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=120

I have tried for a few days now and I cannot seem to get to the CFE prompt. I am using an Arduino Uno with ground and reset jumpered to get into serial mode.

Using putty with the correct settings but no matter how fast I hit CTRL + C and how many times I do it, I never get to the CFE prompt, as a matter of fact I see nothing happening in Putty. I did a loopback connection for RX/TX on the UNO and I see characters printed in putty and both RX/TX LED's illuminate on the UNO.

When connected to the pins on the EA6300V1 all I see is the RX LED illuminate and the TX LED never illuminates.

I have mixed and matched the pinouts and cannot get anywhere.

Just to clarify I know pin 1 the square one is Vcc +3.3 volts and Pin 6 is ground, but for pin 5 my volt meter reads 3.3 volts and they refer to that pin as RX? Pin 2,3 and 4 I do not read any voltage so I have to assume 2 of those 3 pins are the RX/TX? If I connect the RX, pin 5 as shown from the link above my router ethernet ports, green and orange LED's are lit solid which indicates that connection could be wrong?

Screenshot of my PCB board serial port J6.

EA6300V1_Serial_Port.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  84.19 KB
 Viewed:  7806 Time(s)

EA6300V1_Serial_Port.JPG

Last edited by emunity on Tue May 30, 2017 23:07; edited 1 time in total
Sponsor
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 19:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
From left to right, the pins inside the white connector. 1-2-3-4-5-6
Ground is #6, tx or rx is #3, rx is #5.
If that doesn't work, swap rx and tx. It won't harm to swap them.
Ground is always #6.

IMG_1165.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  75.85 KB
 Viewed:  7845 Time(s)

IMG_1165.jpg

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 22:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks that did it I saw the file decompress and the boot then did CTLR + C and got the CFE prompt.

The UNO does not work with this application because it RX/TX outputs +5 volts, I am sure the linksys needs it to be 3.3 volts so I found something laying around that has a jumper on it for 3.3/5 volts set it to 3.3 and I got output to putty.

I need to go back and copy the entire boot log I saw something about the Ethernet was strange message over and over unless its because there is not connection to Ethernet.

I order a header with 1.27mm spacing, the standard is 2.54 as the other ports are just the serial is different. Did you buy that header and solder that in? Couldn't find anything on Ebay will search some more.

Once at the CFE prompt is it possible to mount example /tmp to save the files or do you just save the output from the putty print screen?
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 22:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
I soldered them in but there is a user in the Marvell subforum who had a batch made from China and I bought one from him after that. I've used it on my wrt1900ac and wrt3200acm, they have the same setup.
I'll see if I can find the post.

Last edited by Malachi on Tue May 30, 2017 22:32; edited 1 time in total
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 22:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
Here is the link http://www.ebay.com/itm/Linksys-WRT-Series-TTL-Console-Port-Adapter-/132070173439?hash=item1ebffeeaff:g:sjEAAOSwImRYgUDF

The seller's name is the same on the forum here.
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=1071561&highlight=#1071561

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 22:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks was the white male header already soldered to your board. That part from ebay looks like the piece that connects to the header. I will need the part that will solder to the board and I believe the pitch is 1.27mm not 2.54mm.

Thanks for your help!
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 23:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yes my header was already on the board.

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 23:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
In his eBay description he states what the pitch is

Navigation

Jump to: