ASUS RT-AC56R trailed build?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
thomst
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 13:35    Post subject: ASUS RT-AC56R trailed build? Reply with quote
I've searched the forums here from top to bottom and haven't seen any information on this issue, so I'm posting this query as a last resort.

I'm reasonably familiar with DD-WRT installation procedures. I've successfully installed and upgraded it on several Linksys WRT54G's in the past, and I've always followed instructions in the rainbow post and the specific instructions for the WRT54G.

Because we FINALLY have decent Internet speed here in rural southern Ohio, I recently purchased a refurbished ASUS RT-AC56R router, and I'd like to install DD-WRT on it. However, I can't find a trailed build for this router on the FTP site - and I have looked for it pretty carefully.

Is there such an animal? If so, where do I find it? If not, what's the optimal first build to flash this router with?

Thanks in advance for any helpful responses.

thomst
Sponsor
Alozaros
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 14:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
nope no support http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Supported_Devices#Asus
nor there is any 3 party firmware support for this router

TP-Link WR1043NDv2 -Gargoyle OS 1.15.x AP,DNS,QoS,Quotas
Qualcomm-Atheros
Netgear XR500 --DD-WRT 55779 Gateway/DoH,Forced DNS,AP Isolation,4VLAN,Ad-Block,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R7800 --DD-WRT 55819 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,Forced DNS,AP&Net Isolation,x3VLAN,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R9000 --DD-WRT 55779 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,AP Isolation,Firewall,Forced DNS,x2VLAN,Vanilla
Broadcom
Netgear R7000 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/SmartDNS/DoH,AD-Block,Firewall,Forced DNS,x3VLAN,VPN
NOT USING 5Ghz ANYWHERE
------------------------------------------------------
Stubby DNS over TLS I DNSCrypt v2 by mac913
thomst
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 15:28    Post subject: Sorry, but that's incorrect Reply with quote
As it turns out, that's not the case. See:

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=1040371&sid=4b8ea3d0e98556f67faec9813be5b439

In fact, I've flashed one of these boys with a recent beta build - and it worked, except that it doesn't appear to support OpenVPN. (The services tab for it exists, and I can enter all the correct parameters. They just don't DO anything.) Oh, and I can't get it to revert to ASUS factory firmware or upgrade to a new build of the DD-WRT firmware for this router (note: it's the same hardware as the AC-RT56U, only the trailing letter is different).

That appears to be due to a bug in the device itself. It reports the upgrade as successful, but, in fact, it doesn't change the installed firmware in any way - including resetting it to default values.

ASUS-Merlin is also supported on this model, btw.

Again, any HELPFUL responses will be greatly appreciated ...
Per Yngve Berg
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 16:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/2017/05-02-2017-r31924/asus-rt-ac56u/asus_rt-ac56u-firmware.trx

You may have a new router that locks out dd-wrt due to FCC rules.
thomst
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 17:15    Post subject: Sorry, I may not have made the problem clear enough Reply with quote
The issue I'm trying to solve is not that DD-WRT will not install on this router. It will. The problem is that, once installed, it cannot be upgraded, nor can the original ASUA firmware be re-installed.

I recall from doing any number of DD-WRT installs to the good, old WRT-54G that the right way to do it was to install a "trailed" build - a small or tiny, model-specific build - first (with 30-30-30 resets before and after). Then and only then could you safely install a standard, big, or mega build with a fair degree of confidence that you could up-, down-, or lateral-grade the software afterward. Or re-install the factory firmware, for that matter.

That is what I'd ike to do: find a trailed build for the AC-RT56R/U that I can then replace with a larger, more current build, after a 30-30-30 reset.

My question is whether such an animal exists, and, if so, where on the FTP site - or elsewhere, for that matter - it's lurking.

I've been a big fan of DD-WRT for years now. I'm fairly familiar with installing and configuring it, at least for my relatively modest needs. I'm pretty sure I can configure the AC-RT56R I already have as a bridge to provide coverage in the basement at gigabit speed. What I need is to be able to configure one (which I've just ordered) that's capable of running OpenVPN as a gateway device, so I can set up VPNUnlimited on that, rather than on each individual device on my home network.

And I strongly suspect the key to doing that successfully is to start with a proper trailed build for the AC-RT56R.

Any helpful responses would be greatly appreciated.
Per Yngve Berg
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 22:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
Forget about the 30/30/30. it will only work on the wrt54g.
thomst
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 22:57    Post subject: Forget the 30-30-30 Reply with quote
I actually know that. The hard reset function for the AC-RT56R/U uses a different procedure.

And the 30-30-30 procedure for the WRT54G is mostly bullshit, too. Interruping the power for even one second is all that's required. 30 seconds is based on the supposition that you need to let the unit's caps drain.

You don't. And the first reset only needs to be a standard reboot. ONLY the final step - holding the reset button down as you power the router on - is really necessary. Even there, 20 seconds is usually enough.

So, yeah, what you said.

Still looking for assistance with my actual problem: a trailed build specific to the ASUS AC-RT56R/U.

I suppose a mini build would do just as well, though.

Any helpful responses are greatly appreciated.
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 23:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
There is no mini or anything else. Only the build in the folder for that specific router or the kong std arm build.

Have you tried to put the router into recovery mode and flashing that way?

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 0:08    Post subject: Recovery mode Reply with quote
I have tried that, with the same result: the mini-webserver SAYS it has successfully upgraded the flash ROM, but it doesn't actually do that.

It's more than a little annoying.

I haven't tried the Kong build, however, so thanks for that suggestion. Where on the FTP site would I find it?
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 0:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
Try the firmware restoration tool.
http://www.desipro.de/ddwrt/K3-AC-Arm/

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 5:03    Post subject: Thank you, Malachi! Reply with quote
Thank you for the suggestion and the link.

Are there any instructions available for how to use this tool, or do I just upload it to the emergency recovery web interface as if it were a regular firmware image?

Sorry if that's a kindergarten question. I don't pretend to be a guru, just because I've managed successfully to flash a few routers with DD-WRT in the past ...
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 9:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
No, after installing the tool, put the router into recovery mode then upload the firmware using the restoration tool.
http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/wireless/RT-AC3200/Rescue_2000.zip

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 12:48    Post subject: Thank you, Malachi! Reply with quote
Thank you, Malachi.

Whether or not this tool solves my problem, I greatly appreciate your helpful and informative responses to my posts.

You, sir, rock!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: