IPv6 - Wireless Access Point - radvd config?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
KeithB
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 22:25    Post subject: IPv6 - Wireless Access Point - radvd config? Reply with quote
I'm using two Asus RT-AC68U routers (TM-AC1900 flashed to DD-WRT) at home. The main router is configured to get an IPv6 address from my ISP, and does so successfully. If I connect to the wireless from the main router, my laptop gets a valid IPv6 address. If I connect to the wireless from the WAP, it does not. Sad

I've tried several different configuration options, but none seem to provide reliable IPv6 addresses from the WAP.

Does anyone have suggestions for radvd config scripts for a wireless access point?

DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
Does the WAP act as a repeater bridge to the primary ac68u router or is it connected by wire to one of the primary's LAN ports?

For what its worth, i have an access point off one of my ac68u's LAN ports to one of its own LAN ports. Then i disable everything from DHCP to firewall and QoS (except wireless obviously) as well as set its LAN IP to .1 higher than the primary router (on the same subnet) so i can still configure it if im connected to the primary router.

This gets me working IPv6 through both since the main router is doing all the 'routing' and the WAP connected by LAN ports, has most of its functions disabled.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
No repeater bridge, and the WAP IS connected to the main router (192.168.1.1) via LAN cable. WAN port is assigned to LAN. Static IPv4 address (192.168.1.3) is assigned. Firmware is DD-WRT v3.0-r31800M kongac (03/31/17)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 17:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
KeithB wrote:
No repeater bridge, and the WAP IS connected to the main router (192.168.1.1) via LAN cable. WAN port is assigned to LAN. Static IPv4 address (192.168.1.3) is assigned. Firmware is DD-WRT v3.0-r31800M kongac (03/31/17)

If you get a v6 prefix from your ISP and aren't looking to setup stateful/static addressing, then turn off RADVD and use this to have DNSmasq provide IPv6 functionality and local DNS.

(paste this under 'additional DNSmasq options' in services tab)

dhcp-range=::,constructor:br0,ra-stateless,1800
enable-ra
quiet-ra
quiet-dhcp
quiet-dhcp6

This is what I use to get IPv6 on my Comcast connection that works over both router and WAP.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 21:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
MDA400 wrote:
If you get a v6 prefix from your ISP and aren't looking to setup stateful/static addressing, then turn off RADVD and use this to have DNSmasq provide IPv6 functionality and local DNS.

(paste this under 'additional DNSmasq options' in services tab)

dhcp-range=::,constructor:br0,ra-stateless,1800
enable-ra
quiet-ra
quiet-dhcp
quiet-dhcp6

This is what I use to get IPv6 on my Comcast connection that works over both router and WAP.

Thanks!! Very Happy I trust those are the settings on your main/gateway router, then?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 13:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
The one that's doing the routing, yes.

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 23:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
MDA400 wrote:
The one that's doing the routing, yes.

Belated thanks to you!! Very Happy

I just applied these settings to my main router, and will reboot later this evening. Keeping my fingers crossed!

Navigation

Jump to: