Uptime monitor

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
garce
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 17:19    Post subject: Uptime monitor Reply with quote
Hi,
I am looking to find whether somebody could recommend a solution.
I am looking for a script that would monitor and report on the uptime of certain machines at home.
Ideally it shows:
a. Graph that shows when a machine was up/down through the day
b. Table showing up/down events and how long in the day the machine was up (reset daily)
c. Cumulative results per week

I found a very cool app called YAM that monitors traffic and gives an idea but I am looking for something more specific that would report "minutes" uptime instead of megabytes traffic.
There are some implementations based on ping. Maybe something like that.
Sponsor
lazardo
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 4:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
uptime hours:
Code:
$ ssh dd-wrt "cat /proc/uptime | awk '{print \$1/3600}'"

Cheers,
garce
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 14:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
I was looking for the daily uptime for a particular server and not the router. Thanks
stephensuley
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 14:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
To monitor devices on your LAN you use a monitoring solution. This is usually a piece of software installed on a device also on your LAN as well. This monitoring software can be installed on your router using entware or optware or on a PC ( linux or windows).

Once you have a monitoring solution in place and operational you then add the devices you want to monitor to the monitoring solution. Once you have the devices added then you add sensors to each device. The sensors are what determines what metric you monitor on each device. For reporting you select the device sensors you wish to see the metrics for. In your case this metric is the system up time value. For windows that will usually be a WMI based sensor but for network devices and linux hosts on your LAN that sensor will usually be an SNMP based sensor.

Two monitoring solutions

Zabbix - is a opensource monitoring solution you can install on the router itself or any linux or windows system (inside a VM).

PRTG - If you don't want to use Linux,for Windows I use the free edition ( 100 sensor limit) of PRTG.

monCapture.JPG
 Description:
my LAN
 Filesize:  89.53 KB
 Viewed:  5521 Time(s)

monCapture.JPG

Latest and greatest builds Wink

Last edited by stephensuley on Sun Apr 23, 2017 14:57; edited 1 time in total
garce
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 17:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks @stephensuley
for some reason I am not getting an email indicating somebody has posted a comment to my question.
I will try both options. I was trying to use "Ping Monitor" but was not giving me the information on the format I wanted.
garce
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 0:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
I must be to tired. Both seem fairly complicated to me and not designed for what I wanted.
I am not able to accomplish any of the things I set out to in the beginning. I was looking that was automated that would accomplished what i wanted every day.
I thought my request would be something fairly common Sad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: