Kong builds what are the best settings for wireless?? R7000

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2  Next
James Greystone
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 15:47    Post subject: Kong builds what are the best settings for wireless?? R7000 Reply with quote
I am trying to optimize the signals for 2.4 and 5ghz and was wondering what the best settings are for each frequency.

What are the best adjustments to the other settings?

Mainly my 5ghz signal is weak and I am only 1 room away and this is the better frequency for me.

Also the 5ghz signal will sometimes disappear altogether and I lose internet and it does not show in my available networks?

Thanks in Advance.

I remember a post sometime ago where someone had specific settings for each channel that were working great but I can't find it anymore.

Last edited by James Greystone on Tue Apr 18, 2017 17:27; edited 4 times in total
Sponsor
Kloze
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 16:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
wow those questions are gonna get a harsh answer.

Ill try to answer the best that I can.

There is no magical setting unfortunately. I too used the survey tool to locate nearby sites and chose a non-crowded channel. This has worked wonderfully for me for 2.4. For 5G, this setting for my household took a lot of tinkering. The the signal was strong no matter what USA setting I had it at but had a hell of a time getting some of my devices to connect at 866+. I would say a whole day of resetting and read to get it just right. I used to use an upper upper setting on a much older firmware. When I upgraded to a newer one, that setting would no longer allow me to connect. So after another day of timkering, i found a lower lower setting that allows me to connect at the high speeds.

look for a post from KONG. he has a nice write up on his personal website about these very subjects. Good luck
Xeon2k8
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 16:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm assuming you have an R7000 from your posts history. If you have, then you suck at seaching (or you really haven't done it)

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=264152

If you haven't got that one then it will still be useful for you that link

R6250 - BS 29193 running since 03/20/16 - (AP - NAS - FTP - SMB - DNSMasq - AdBlocking)
James Greystone
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 17:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
Xeon2k8 wrote:
I'm assuming you have an R7000 from your posts history. If you have, then you suck at seaching (or you really haven't done it)

Yes I know about that page you linked too, but I thought that someone using the R7000 may have tweaked things and have some better settings that they may recommend.

Cheers.
Xeon2k8
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 17:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
James Greystone wrote:
Xeon2k8 wrote:

Yes I know about that page you linked too, but I thought that someone using the R7000 may have tweaked things and have some better settings that they may recommend.

Cheers.

- If you can't change channels then I suggest you erase nvram.
- I have tried almost every combination of Reg Domain and channels and have come to the conclusion (at least from MY experience, I'm not saying this is universal) taking into account Performance/Device-Compatibility (compatibility meaning that some devices weren't reaching highest 5ghz channels), that using Germany reg domain and 130.. something channel with VHT80 (doesn't matter the extension combination) gave me the best results.
- On 2.4 there's no magic, use VHT20 and the less crowded channel, not Auto.
- Tx power always auto.
- Beamforming, I have got both enabled but meh... I have the A6210 adapter that makes use of active beamforming (can't recall the real name of that feature now) and haven't seen difference between enabled and disabled. Some people have seen more stability with both disabled.
- Airtime fairness always disabled

That's pretty much it I think, of course it would be stupid to mention that you have to use WPA2/AES.

R6250 - BS 29193 running since 03/20/16 - (AP - NAS - FTP - SMB - DNSMasq - AdBlocking)
James Greystone
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 17:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
Xeon2k8 wrote:
James Greystone wrote:
Xeon2k8 wrote:

Cheers.

- If you can't change channels then I suggest you erase nvram.
- I have tried almost every combination of Reg Domain and channels and have come to the conclusion (at least from MY experience, I'm not saying this is universal) taking into account Performance/Device-Compatibility (compatibility meaning that some devices weren't reaching highest 5ghz channels), that using Germany reg domain and 130.. something channel with VHT80 (doesn't matter the extension combination) gave me the best results.
- On 2.4 there's no magic, use VHT20 and the less crowded channel, not Auto.
- Tx power always auto.
- Beamforming, I have got both enabled but meh... I have the A6210 adapter that makes use of active beamforming (can't recall the real name of that feature now) and haven't seen difference between enabled and disabled. Some people have seen more stability with both disabled.
- Airtime fairness always disabled

That's pretty much it I think, of course it would be stupid to mention that you have to use WPA2/AES.

Thank You Kindly, I appreciate your advice.
Alozaros
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 20:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
well....
for 2,4Ghz i use country domain Canada, Channel 11 + lower
40HT, Short GI, Short Preamble, CTS disabled, Airtime fairness, beam-forming and all other extras are off for less errors...
for 5Ghz country domain is Canada Channel 149 40HT and pretty much all the same like 2,4Ghz settings, in general 5Ghz signal is very week due to the essence of 5Ghz wi-fi so you must be closer to the unit to get best results...
in general i don't use 5Ghz that much and it stays off even in very congested 2,4Ghz zone i don't have any troubles with signal or speed i have at least 4-5 beacons using the same CH 11 around me, as well around 30 other wi-fi beacon's among them using different CH and never had any complains or problems with it DD-WRT is rock stable..

sadly im away from my R7000 unit and i cant give you more details but in general this are the settings i use....

TP-Link WR1043NDv2 -Gargoyle OS 1.15.x AP,DNS,QoS,Quotas
Qualcomm-Atheros
Netgear XR500 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/DoH,Forced DNS,AP Isolation,4VLAN,Ad-Block,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R7800 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,Forced DNS,AP&Net Isolation,x3VLAN,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R9000 --DD-WRT 55363 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,AP Isolation,Firewall,Forced DNS,x2VLAN,Vanilla
Broadcom
Netgear R7000 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/SmartDNS/DoH,AD-Block,Firewall,Forced DNS,x3VLAN,VPN
NOT USING 5Ghz ANYWHERE
------------------------------------------------------
Stubby DNS over TLS I DNSCrypt v2 by mac913
James Greystone
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 21:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
Alozaros wrote:
well....
for 2,4Ghz i use country domain Canada, Channel 11 + lower
40HT, Short GI, Short Preamble, CTS disabled, Airtime fairness, beam-forming and all other extras are off for less errors...
for 5Ghz country domain is Canada Channel 149 40HT and pretty much all the same like 2,4Ghz settings, in general 5Ghz signal is very week due to the essence of 5Ghz wi-fi so you must be closer to the unit to get best results...
in general i don't use 5Ghz that much and it stays off even in very congested 2,4Ghz zone i don't have any troubles with signal or speed i have at least 4-5 beacons using the same CH 11 around me, as well around 30 other wi-fi beacon's among them using different CH and never had any complains or problems with it DD-WRT is rock stable..

sadly im away from my R7000 unit and i cant give you more details but in general this are the settings i use....

thank you for the information
MDA400
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 14:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
This is what works well for my RT-AC68U, but should also work for the r7000 since they use the same wireless chip:

Basic Settings:

Regulatory Domain - US (obviously change this to your country's setting)
Regulatory Mode - off
TPC Mitigation Factor - 0

(2.4ghz)
Wireless Mode - AP
Wireless Network Mode - NG-Mixed (some N-capable devices I have don't even work in N-only mode)
Wireless Channel - 1,6, or 11 (use the least crowded in your area)
Channel Width - 20mhz
Optimize Multicast Traffic - enabled
TurboQAM - enabled
Explicit Beamforming - enabled
Implicit Beamforming - enabled
Airtime Fairness - disabled (this currently causes wireless dropouts over time)

(5 ghz)
Wireless Mode - AP
Wireless Network Mode - AC/N-Mixed (unless you have only AC clients or are still relying on wireless-A)
Wireless Channel - I use 104 (least crowded. DD-wrt exposes the middle frequencies under 149 and above 48 as selectable [per DFS preemption])
Channel Width - 80mhz
Extension Channel - Upper Lower (depends on the channel you use. lower lower for above 149, upper upper for below 48 )

Wireless Security:
WPA2 Personal with AES only (unless you run a RADIUS server or something, in which case choose enterprise..)

Advanced Settings
(both bands):

Basic Rate - All
Transmission Rate - Auto
CTS Protection Mode - Auto
Frame Burst - Disabled

Beacon Interval - 150 (I set this a bit higher to save mobile clients some battery. Not too high so that wireless client's don't drop out from missed beacons)
DTIM interval - 1 (Can set this higher for battery saving of mobile clients, but since it works in tandem with beacon interval, it can cause drop outs if set too high as well)
Fragmentation Threshold - 2346
RTS Threshold - 2347
Max Associated Clients - 50 (Personal preference. Say you want to restrict a certain number of IP's for wired clients only. This setting would prevent wireless clients from taking all the IP addresses in the address range from the DHCP server)

AP Isolation - Disabled
TX Antenna - Auto
RX Antenna - auto
Preamble - Short (Long is for compatibility with older wireless devices. Most everything within 15 years works with short)
Shortslot Override - Short (another compatiblity setting that affects G-clients in relation to older B-clients. Reduces the time in between sending packets to clients after collisions)
TX Power- Auto (This will change as needed for the client while obeying regulatory domain)
Bluetooth Coexistence Mode - Preempt (tells a bluetooth client which 2.4ghz channel the router is using to avoid transmitting on that frequency)
Wireless GUI access - enabled (else your wireless clients can't configure the router)

Radio Time Restrictions - Disabled (personal preference)

WMM Support - enabled (Wireless-N and newer require this for higher transmission rates)
No-Acknowledgement - enabled (disable this if you are getting frequent throughput drops from a noisy wireless environment)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 15:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
@MDA400, if you don't mind about the country regs, use Germany since it allows more power on that range, it's the same range I use.
tmo1138
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 15:19    Post subject: Re: Kong builds what are the best settings for wireless?? R7 Reply with quote
James Greystone wrote:
I am trying to optimize the signals for 2.4 and 5ghz and was wondering what the best settings are for each frequency.

What are the best adjustments to the other settings?

Mainly my 5ghz signal is weak and I am only 1 room away and this is the better frequency for me.

Also the 5ghz signal will sometimes disappear altogether and I lose internet and it does not show in my available networks?

Thanks in Advance.

I remember a post sometime ago where someone had specific settings for each channel that were working great but I can't find it anymore.

This is what I've done.. unfortunately as has been said here there's no magic bullet..

First I start here:

https://flashrouters.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/225844427-DD-WRT-Wireless-Recommended-Settings

after that I 'fine tune' the settings using a Wi-Fi diagnostic tool on the mac called Wi-Fi explorer.. I'm sure there's a Windows equivalent..

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/wifi-explorer/id494803304?mt=12

I can then figure out what channels will give me the best signal strength.. Because 2.4Ghz is usually the problem child I focus there first.

YMMV, IMHO, this is what works for me, etc etc etc

Useful links:

Builds:
ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/2020/

dd-wrt supported devices:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Supported_Devices

So long <kong> and thanks for all the fish!
MDA400
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 15:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
Xeon2k8 wrote:
@MDA400, if you don't mind about the country regs, use Germany since it allows more power on that range, it's the same range I use.

I personally don't mess with regulatory domain since the CFE is made for US country code.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 15:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
MDA400 wrote:
Xeon2k8 wrote:

I personally don't mess with regulatory domain since the CFE is made for US country code.

You mean for your router or in general?

MDA400
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 15:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
Xeon2k8 wrote:
MDA400 wrote:
Xeon2k8 wrote:

You mean for your router or in general?

Specifically the CFE I flashed has US as its country code.
The regulatory domain setting reads this from the CFE so I keep it on US to avoid any other issues.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
MDA400 wrote:
This is what works well for my RT-AC68U, but should also work for the r7000 since they use the same wireless chip:

Basic Settings:

Regulatory Domain - US (obviously change this to your country's setting)
Regulatory Mode - off
TPC Mitigation Factor - 0

(2.4ghz)
Wireless Mode - AP
Wireless Network Mode - NG-Mixed (some N-capable devices I have don't even work in N-only mode)
Wireless Channel - 1,6, or 11 (use the least crowded in your area)
Channel Width - 20mhz
TurboQAM - enabled

(5 ghz)
Wireless Mode - AP
Wireless Network Mode - AC/N-Mixed (unless you have only AC clients or are still relying on wireless-A)
Wireless Channel - I use 104 (least crowded. DD-wrt exposes the middle frequencies under 149 and above 48 as selectable [per DFS preemption])
Channel Width - 80mhz
Extension Channel - Upper Lower (depends on the channel you use. lower lower for above 149, upper upper for below 48 )

Wireless Security:
WPA2 Personal with AES only (unless you run a RADIUS server or something, in which case choose enterprise..)

Advanced Settings
(both bands):

Basic Rate - All
Transmission Rate - Auto
CTS Protection Mode - Auto
Frame Burst - Disabled

Beacon Interval - 150 (I set this a bit higher to save mobile clients some battery. Not too high so that wireless client's don't drop out from missed beacons)
DTIM interval - 1 (Can set this higher for battery saving of mobile clients, but since it works in tandem with beacon interval, it can cause drop outs if set too high as well)
Fragmentation Threshold - 2346
RTS Threshold - 2347
Max Associated Clients - 50 (Personal preference. Say you want to restrict a certain number of IP's for wired clients only. This setting would prevent wireless clients from taking all the IP addresses in the address range from the DHCP server)

AP Isolation - Disabled
TX Antenna - Auto
RX Antenna - auto
Preamble - Short (Long is for compatibility with older wireless devices. Most everything within 15 years works with short)
Shortslot Override - Short (another compatiblity setting that affects G-clients in relation to older B-clients. Reduces the time in between sending packets to clients after collisions)
TX Power- Auto (This will change as needed for the client while obeying regulatory domain)
Bluetooth Coexistence Mode - Preempt (tells a bluetooth client which 2.4ghz channel the router is using to avoid transmitting on that frequency)
Wireless GUI access - enabled (else your wireless clients can't configure the router)

Radio Time Restrictions - Disabled (personal preference)

WMM Support - enabled (Wireless-N and newer require this for higher transmission rates)
No-Acknowledgement - enabled (disable this if you are getting frequent throughput drops from a noisy wireless environment)

Thanks for the settings, I have been playing with them and have seen increased speed and range.
Goto page 1, 2  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: