Linksys WRT3200ACM

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.)
Goto page 1, 2  Next
everyonespams
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 22:34    Post subject: Linksys WRT3200ACM Reply with quote
I've recently purchased a wrt3200ACM router and I want to flash it and I am reading mixed reviews on the forum and issues with wifi, net speeds etc.

I want some clarification on the following:

1. I read that you don't need to do the 30-3-30 reset, I can just use the Linksys UI to install the factory to ddwrt bin file to flash the router. Is there any steps I need to do before this, I mean press reset etc.

2. Is anyone facing issues with speeds, wifi, cascading with Verizon Fios routers after flashing?

3. Is the current v3.0 [Beta] Build: 30796 release stable?

Thank you!
Sponsor
whatsashell
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
1. Correct, no need to do a reset as it's Linux firmware ready out of the box.

2. No issues. The latest firmware cleared up the issues for me. Wifi is fine, haven't done speed tests as I don't care if I get a slight bit more throughput.

3. Latest beta for this is: http://download1.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/betas/2017/03-30-2017-r31791/
everyonespams
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thank you! @whatsashell
if I've made changes to my link sys local network address from the default, is that what I would use to connect to log in to the admin of the dd-wrt module.
ATHF
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
everyonespams wrote:
Thank you! @whatsashell
if I've made changes to my link sys local network address from the default, is that what I would use to connect to log in to the admin of the dd-wrt module.

No, the stock partition you would have left has it's own settings, they are not transferred to the DD-WRT partition when you flash.
So whatever you set the stock's LAN IP to won't work after flashing to DD-WRT, you would need to go to 192.168.1.1

Velop:2 WHW0101, RE6500, RE9000(AP)
Spectrum - 1000/50
SysLog Watcher 5, New security Onion box coming soon, Fingboxes, PiHoles, NEMS, Cacti, rpisurv
everyonespams
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:31    Post subject: WRT3200ACM revert to Linksys factory firmware Reply with quote
I was able to flash the router to Firmware: DD-WRT v3.0-r31791 std (03/30/17) but I'm having some issues with WIFI. I wanted to know if anyones facing similar issues of drop connection and speed on the 5Gz band.

How can I reset back to Linksys original factory settings? I tried to reset it to factory and even tried updating the firmware from Linksys site with FW_WRT3200ACM_1.0.5.176416_prod.img but it still boots with with dd-wrt firmware.
ATHF
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
See this post, http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=287813&start=1 , you may need a program like Putty to telnet into the router to set it to the other partition.
Spectrum - 1000/50
SysLog Watcher 5, New security Onion box coming soon, Fingboxes, PiHoles, NEMS, Cacti, rpisurv
everyonespams
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thank you @ ATHF. As per the instructions on the link you shared. I followed the instructions.
I checked the boot_part and it was 1, I set it to 2 and rebooted my router and it's booting up in dd-wrt mode. Does this mean that I have dd-wrt on both my partition?
If yes, how can I restore one partition to the original Linksys firmware.
vit5421
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 13:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
There is the tread for 3200 with same questions and same concerns.
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=304086&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=345
everyonespams
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 14:55    Post subject: bin file to revert back to Linksys factory Reply with quote
Thanks @vit5421
I read and it seems very complicated for me as I am very new to dd-wrt.
Do we not have bin file to revert back from dd-wrt to link sys after flashing both partitions?
vit5421
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 15:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sorry, we dont. And reading for all nightmares with 3200 i highly recommend if possible to replace this crap with wrt1900acs with ddwrt as soon as possible. It works even better and faster than wrt1900ac and 1200 and i cant be pleased more. The other option is wait for new Marvel driver coz you will have wifi problems now with all 3rd party firmware.
We dont have to fight with Linksys crap trying every possible firmware but just enjoy the internet
everyonespams
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 15:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
@vit5421 I get it..
I usually don't install betas and wait for a stable release. I've been reading all sorts of things and some are true and I must say I've experienced it first hand. I've done pretty well with my wrt400N 2 routers with wp-bridge but last night got the best of me and in my excitement I decided to flash the new router. I should have read about the partitions on the new router, I saw 2 files and thought one was for factory to ddwrt and the other one said dd-wrt to linksys and thought this would reset it to link sys factory defaults. I was having internet issues with the stable build but after installing the beta release I must say the net connection and speed performance is remarkable on the WRT3200.

I also tried the dd-wrt GUI to update the link sys firmware img file and the router still booted in dd-wrt mode after successful installation message. Not sure why?

I came across these links while doing more research and not sure if this will be tufts will be helpful to install the link sys image on one of the partitions and reboot.

This url shows putting the dd-wrt bin file using tftp
https://neil-black.co.uk/computing/dd-wrt-beginners-router-firmware-flash-guide/

https://www.cnet.com/news/using-terminals-tftp-to-update-linksys-router-in-os-x/

I'm thinking of the following steps:

1. ubootenv set boot_part (1 or 2) (doesn't matter as both my partition are flashed)
2 downloading the img file for linksys
3. connecting to my router using tftp -I ip of my router
4. type <binary> for binary mode
5. put linksys.img and enter
6. on success response type quit and exit
7. reboot the router.[/list][/list]

Anyone experienced with all this utility, can you confirm if this would work?
ATHF
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 19:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
everyonespams wrote:

Anyone experienced with all this utility, can you confirm if this would work?

Personally I have not tried it that way, not sure if it works on these newer routers.
Chadster has some great write ups/walkthroughs on how to get stock back on these, https://community.linksys.com/t5/Wireless-Routers/WRT3200ACM-Any-Fail-Safe-or-Dual-Boot-Options/td-p/1129106

-Edit There is also a way if you don't have a USB to TTL cable, http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=305228&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=55

Spectrum - 1000/50
everyonespams
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
@ATHF, thank you for the link to restore without USB to TLS cable.
I had a few questions about the steps.
The first 2 steps:

Create a McDebian WRT3200ACM V1 rootfs USB Key\Drive -

https://github.com/Chadster766/McDebian/wiki/3.-Make-Root-File-System
Copy FW_WRT3200ACM_1.0.5.176416_prod.img to the USB Key\Drive

If we can SSH can we not copy these files directly to the router to the folder you specified.
`mount -t proc none /tmp/mnt/sda1/proc`
`mount -o bind /dev /tmp/mnt/sda1/dev `

and then follow the steps after this to restore the partition with the Linksys img.
jsebean
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 23:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
everyonespams wrote:
@ATHF, thank you for the link to restore without USB to TLS cable.
I had a few questions about the steps.
The first 2 steps:

Create a McDebian WRT3200ACM V1 rootfs USB Key\Drive -

https://github.com/Chadster766/McDebian/wiki/3.-Make-Root-File-System
Copy FW_WRT3200ACM_1.0.5.176416_prod.img to the USB Key\Drive

If we can SSH can we not copy these files directly to the router to the folder you specified.
`mount -t proc none /tmp/mnt/sda1/proc`
`mount -o bind /dev /tmp/mnt/sda1/dev `

and then follow the steps after this to restore the partition with the Linksys img.

The USB Key is going to store your chroot environment for McDebian. The examples on github is just how to properly format it.

The mount details you just posted will be ran on the router and you can do this from SSH/Telnet, but you'll still need to set up that drive first and it's probably best to just copy the IMG file to it. While I guess it's possible you could alternatively move the file somehow else, but personally I'd stick to the instructions they give and just put the IMG firmware file on the root of the USB drive, which, in the example they give, would be located at your mount location on your PC initially. The example given is
Code:
/mnt/usbkey
(This could potentially be different on your environment, or technically you don't even necessarily need Linux to setup and format the drive if you had the proper formatting/mounting tools for your OS, but doing it from Linux is probably easiest given the instructions there since it's all there for you.)

You'd then find the file on
Code:
/tmp/mnt/sda1
if you copy it to the root of the drive, which, after you chroot on DD-WRT, it would simply be found at
Code:
/

I think that makes sense, but if you have any questions just post back. Let me know how it goes for you!

Regards,
-Jonah

OEM Satellite internet -- I'll likely get back to DD-WRT again when I get better internet
everyonespams
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 0:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
@ATHF, @jsebean, solution worked. I'm back on Linksys firmware successfully! Thank you.

Is the linksys firmware installed on both the partitions?
If yes, how can I toglgle between the 2 partitions.
If No, how can I switch and install did-wrt on the other partition

Thanks!
Goto page 1, 2  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.) All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: