R7800 VPN Client Speed

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
cinory
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:10    Post subject: R7800 VPN Client Speed Reply with quote
Has anyone tested the speed of the VPN client? How fast is it?
I wanted to buy that router for turning it into a VPN router.
Sponsor
tatsuya46
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 22:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
cinory wrote:

65mbps+, i heard around 75-80mbps from kong i think, and k4.9 is supposed to be faster than 3.18 whenever we get it..r7800.

for ea8500..55mbps+ should be for sure, about 65mbps as a guess.

Mbps not MBps

BrainSlayer wrote:
we just do it since we do not like any restrictions enforced by stupid cocaine snorting managers

[x86_64] Haswell i3-4150/QCA9984/QCA9882 ------> r55797 std
[QUALCOMM] DIR-862L --------------------------------> r55797 std
▲ ACTIVE / INACTIVE ▼
[QUALCOMM] WNDR4300 v1 --------------------------> r50485 std
[BROADCOM] DIR-860L A1 ----------------------------> r50485 std

Sigh.. why do i exist anyway.. | I love you Anthony.. never forget that.. my other 99% that ill never see again..

mooninite
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 23:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
tatsuya46 wrote:
cinory wrote:

65mbps+, i heard around 75-80mbps from kong i think, and k4.9 is supposed to be faster than 3.18 whenever we get it..r7800.

Mbps not MBps

You can use a 4.9 kernel today if you use LEDE.
tatsuya46
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 1:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
mooninite wrote:
tatsuya46 wrote:
cinory wrote:

Mbps not MBps

You can use a 4.9 kernel today if you use LEDE.

do not like lede/openwrt at all, tried them already multiple times over the years. i mean 4.9 in ddwrt.

BrainSlayer wrote:
we just do it since we do not like any restrictions enforced by stupid cocaine snorting managers

▲ ACTIVE / INACTIVE ▼

Sigh.. why do i exist anyway.. | I love you Anthony.. never forget that.. my other 99% that ill never see again..

cinory
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks for answering my question Smile Just a short follow question: Does LEDE or DD-WRT/Kong have more/better performance? My goal is get the best VPN performance out of the router, things like Wifi only have minor importance for me.
tatsuya46
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 13:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
cinory wrote:
Thanks for answering my question Smile Just a short follow question: Does LEDE or DD-WRT/Kong have more/better performance? My goal is get the best VPN performance out of the router, things like Wifi only have minor importance for me.

the fw is negligible, if the numbers i told u are good enough just get the router. i find ddwrt better, and im an advanced user, lede/openwrt is just plain bad, lots of their builds dont even have a gui interface cause i dont know, lazy devs..? & even when it has a gui, its ugly, fat, klunky, hard to find anything, just stay on ddwrt..

BrainSlayer wrote:

▲ ACTIVE / INACTIVE ▼

Alozaros
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 14:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
cinory wrote:

better performance on R7800 wtf... this router has
IPQ8065 (1.7 GHz, 2 cores) and its next to last R9000 what even better than that....
I tried the stock firmware didn't like it at all, as well unit was randomly rebooting, with DD-WRT Kong build, all good and smooth so far no issues with it...WAN performance and VPN are on very high level probb best on the market so far...

http://www.desipro.de/ddwrt/K3-AC-IPQ806X/

TP-Link WR1043NDv2 -Gargoyle OS 1.15.x AP,DNS,QoS,Quotas
Qualcomm-Atheros
Netgear XR500 --DD-WRT 55779 Gateway/DoH,Forced DNS,AP Isolation,4VLAN,Ad-Block,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R7800 --DD-WRT 55819 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,Forced DNS,AP&Net Isolation,x3VLAN,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R9000 --DD-WRT 55779 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,AP Isolation,Firewall,Forced DNS,x2VLAN,Vanilla
Broadcom
Netgear R7000 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/SmartDNS/DoH,AD-Block,Firewall,Forced DNS,x3VLAN,VPN
NOT USING 5Ghz ANYWHERE
------------------------------------------------------
Stubby DNS over TLS I DNSCrypt v2 by mac913
cinory
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 16:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
Alozaros wrote:
better performance on R7800 wtf... this router has
IPQ8065 (1.7 GHz, 2 cores) and its next to last R9000 what even better than that....

I only wanted assure myself, 'cuz right now I'm using an Asus router with a 800Mhz dual core cpu that only achieves up to 32mbps. I would never use stock; I've Tomato by Shibby running on my Asus and it doesn't perform bad, but the R7800 has a way more powerful cpu. So if you all say, dd-wrt is the way to go, then I go for it =).
Doppel-D
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 16:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
tatsuya46 wrote:
...im an advanced user, lede/openwrt is just plain bad, lots of their builds dont even have a gui interface cause i dont know, lazy devs..? & even when it has a gui, its ugly, fat, klunky, hard to find anything, just stay on ddwrt..

You are exaggerating and / or have had bad luck with router models and / or revisions. I installed lede stable 17.01 on three different routers and I appreciate stability and flexibility regarding the availability of software packages e.g. f2fs or sqm and many more. Surely the learning curve is steeper e.g. guest networks with firewall rules or mounting of USB sticks and filesystems compared to dd-wrt, but worth the effort.

I have not the slightest complain about either GUI, so it's probably a personal flavor and / or depends on the things / amount of what you are doing.

To sum it up: Happy both exist....and all the other flavors. Your rant seems a bit trumpyfied ;- )

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 22:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
tatsuya46 wrote:
cinory wrote:

the fw is negligible, if the numbers i told u are good enough just get the router. i find ddwrt better, and im an advanced user, lede/openwrt is just plain bad, lots of their builds dont even have a gui interface cause i dont know, lazy devs..? & even when it has a gui, its ugly, fat, klunky, hard to find anything, just stay on ddwrt..

LEDE/OpenWRT have recently redone their web interface. It now looks more like the Tomato interface. More reasonable. Personally, that's not my criteria for picking firmware, but you might be surprised if you saw what they're doing with it now.

Or maybe not, don't know when the last time you looked was. As far as web interface attractiveness (subjective, of course), I feel that they've passed dd-wrt with the latest update. Your opinion may differ *smile*.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: