I would like to try out dd-wrt on my R7800

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
solidservo
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 16:09    Post subject: I would like to try out dd-wrt on my R7800 Reply with quote
Hello! I would like to try out dd-wrt on my R7800, but I am kinda lost when it comes to what build I should use and what is the process of installing it - and possibly reverting back to the original firmware.

I supposed this is the firmware to use? http://download1.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/betas/2017/03-21-2017-r31722/netgear-r7800/

Anyone can point me towards a guide that explains how to install and how to revert back to the stock firmware?

Thank you! Smile
Sponsor
jerrytouille
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 17:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
solidservo wrote:
Hello! I would like to try out dd-wrt on my R7800, but I am kinda lost when it comes to what build I should use and what is the process of installing it - and possibly reverting back to the original firmware.

I supposed this is the firmware to use? http://download1.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/betas/2017/03-21-2017-r31722/netgear-r7800/

Anyone can point me towards a guide that explains how to install and how to revert back to the stock firmware?

Thank you! Smile

- Flash factory-to-ddwrt.img
- Wait until it FULLY boots up
- admin, admin, admin
- Flash dd-wrt-webupgrade.bin with reset to defaults
- Power off router
- Wait 1 min
- Power it back on
- Now setup your things
solidservo
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
jerrytouille wrote:
solidservo wrote:

Thank you! Smile

- Flash factory-to-ddwrt.img
- admin, admin, admin
- Flash dd-wrt-webupgrade.bin with reset to defaults
- Power off router
- Wait 1 min
- Power it back on
- Now setup your things

Thank you! Do you also know how I can revert back to the stock firmware in case I run into problems with dd-wrt? Smile
jerrytouille
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 18:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
solidservo wrote:
Thank you! Do you also know how I can revert back to the stock firmware in case I run into problems with dd-wrt? Smile

Follow this guide: https://kb.netgear.com/22688/How-to-upload-firmware-to-a-NETGEAR-router-using-TFTP
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 23:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
It is stated in this thread. To go back to stock hold on the reset button while powering up. Hold the reset button in for 15 seconds then tftp the netgear firmware.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 18:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
solidservo wrote:

There's also this image to flash from Kong's repository, assuming that your router is still working well enough to be able to flash firmware images. I've used it a couple of times (no tftp needed) and it works just fine to go from dd-wrt to stock firmware:

http://www.desipro.de/ddwrt/K3-AC-IPQ806X/NetgearFW/ddwrt-to-netgear-fw-R7800.bin
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 18:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
Last time I tried it it didn't work. Must have been changed.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 19:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
Okay, it hasn't not worked for me.

How's that for twisted logic?
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: