Can't get R6300v2 to flash

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
OnlyUsD
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 23:53    Post subject: Can't get R6300v2 to flash Reply with quote
Just bought two certified refurb R6300v2 (my previous bricked on me when upgrading from a previous dd-wrt build to the 3/4/17 firmware)

Neither device will take the .chk firmware listed on the wiki, the 2/28/17 or the 3/4/17 builds. (says it's not compatible/incorrect generic error)

The stock firmware on the devices is the V1.0.4.6_10.0.76 build from Netgear.

Is there something I am missing? Does the newest firmware for this device not allow DD-WRT to be loaded?

I've flashed on many routers but this time it seems to be stubborn. I even followed the Wiki step-by-step just in case I was not following the process correctly by memory.

Last edited by OnlyUsD on Sat Mar 11, 2017 2:41; edited 1 time in total
Sponsor
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 0:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
Are you sure they aren't charter version?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 0:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yes, according to the wiki and stock firmware that is in them, they do not have the CH at the end of the firmware.
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 0:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
I meant your routers. Look at the label on the bottom.
If there is no ch on the bottom, try this http://www.desipro.de/ddwrt/K3-AC-Arm/dd-wrt.K3_R6300V2.chk

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 0:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm slightly confused. The wiki says to check the stock firmware to make sure it's a v2 and to see if it's a charter by looking at the firmware which it says it's a v2 and there is no CH in the firmware.

What does have me worried though after further investigation is that there is a new label slapped over where the SSID and WPA goes. Behind it, you can see that it just says a R6300 on both and the color stripes on both are blue and not yellow/gold as the bricked R6300v2.

The other plot twist is that the r6300v1 is not supposed to have USB3.0, only two USB2.0's. Where the USB3.0 should be on the back of these two refurbs is blue and labeled as USB3.0

(Ok I wrote all of that before I just typed this)

So as I was typing that and then thinking about what you said, I decied to peel back the new stickers the refurb company added on. Low and behold they do say Model R6300v2 AND in their SSID they have MycharterWiFi3F-G2
MycharterWiFi8F-G2

looks like they are Charter's after all. Cheeky bastards.

I'll do a CH flash on them and see what happens.
OnlyUsD
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 1:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
Co*$ suckin Mutha %*$@&!$, they were CH's.

One already flashed, one more to go...
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 1:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
OnlyUsD wrote:

Glad you got them flashed. Complain to the seller. Maybe you can get some money back.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 2:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
Malachi wrote:
OnlyUsD wrote:

Glad you got them flashed. Complain to the seller. Maybe you can get some money back.

Good thought but honestly now that I have it up and running, I don't care.

I'm now running two R6300v2's, one WRND3700v4 and one WNDR3800 in my house. Yes one of the R6300's and both WNDR's are in wireless bridge client mode but they are running on the 5G. The main R6300 is in 5G 80/80 wide AC mode and is connected to the other R6300 at an average of 500mbps but I've seen up to 853Mbps. The two WNDR's are also connected on the 5G and are at a solid 270Mbps connection.

All my client devices are set to run on the 2.4ghz signal. All devices are on different channels thus not to overlap and will allow me to have absolute full coverage on my entire property with the slowest router giving my client devices (hardwired client, not tested on wireless yet) an outbound speed of 100Mbps down and 19Mbps up.

My fastest (the r6300) is allowing my hardwired client to reach speeds of 199Mbps down and 20Mbps up.

The main R6300 which is connected directly to the ISP router/modem which is in routed without nat mode is pushing 219Mbps to 247Mbps down and 20Mbps to 24Mbps up.

All-in-all, I'm happy.

Problem solved, problem staying solved.
OnlyUsD
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 2:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
Soon as I get my cable in the mail, I'll be able to unbrick the other R6300v2 (non-CH) and add that to the mix Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
sploit
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:26    Post subject: Differences Reply with quote
The r6300v2CH and R6300v2 are Identical hardware... Except for these differences.

Plastic Chassis (Case)
1) The CH model has a Blue Stripe at the bottom.
2) The Non CH has a Yellow Stripe.

Board
Identical

Firmware
1) CH Version Board Model id has been changed. It can be changed to a NON CH board ID.

The stickers on both versions say r6300v2 and the sticker does not show a CH on it.

The Chinese Guys selling them have no idea what the difference is and go by the stickers. It isn't their faults. The stickers say r6300v2.

Also.... Thats a crap load of routers. Ever heard of CAT5??? Very Happy

DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 21:33    Post subject: Re: Differences Reply with quote
sploit wrote:
The r6300v2CH and R6300v2 are Identical hardware... Except for these differences.

Plastic Chassis (Case)
1) The CH model has a Blue Stripe at the bottom.
2) The Non CH has a Yellow Stripe.

Board
Identical

Firmware
1) CH Version Board Model id has been changed. It can be changed to a NON CH board ID.

The stickers on both versions say r6300v2 and the sticker does not show a CH on it.

The Chinese Guys selling them have no idea what the difference is and go by the stickers. It isn't their faults. The stickers say r6300v2.

Also.... Thats a crap load of routers. Ever heard of CAT5??? Very Happy

Just to throw my 2 cents in here I have the following:
1) 1 Original R6300v2
2) 2 Ac1450
3) 1 R6300v2CH
With that being said the board id's were all done to reflect R6300v2 and I have been flashing them all with kingac 31520M without issue. I have purchased a serial cable and if i brick them i just bring them back to life and play some more. Now with reading all things out here my question to go along with this thread is due to the board id being changed should i use the corresponding chk files pertaining to the model and not by the board id. Again from stock netgear firmware that indicated r6300v2 on each one but as you can see from above # 2 and 3 are actually different models.

Thanks in advance for your responses

Fitz55
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: