WRT3200ACM back to stock

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
myersw
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 16:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
Glad you have not flashed the wrt3200 more then once. If you had you would then need a serial cable, etc to get the Linksys firmware back on. I personally, never overwrite the Linksys partition as I like to try other firmware such as LEDE/Openwrt or Gargoyle.

You can also switch back to the Linksys partition if you have only flashed DD-WRT once by doing the following.

Now issue command

ubootenv get boot_part

This will give you the active partition number.

Lets say that the active partition number was 2.
You want to switch to the other partition so you would then issue. (Reverse the number if the returned number is 1 instead of 2.)

ubootenv set boot_part 1
reboot

This tells the router the active partition is now partition 1 where the Linksys firmware is.

The above is assuming you have not done a flash of DD-WRT through the DD-WRT UI as this would mean the Linsys firmware has been over written.

I find this easier then trying to get the off/on sequence correct. Usually takes me 3 or more tries if I do the switch sequence. Very Happy

--bill

ISP:Comcast
tutorial for flashing "WRT" series:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=287813
DD-WRT Installation, Upgrade & Basic Setup–Cliff Notes:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=311117
Kong DD-WRT Config Tutorial:
http://www.instructables.com/id/Install-and-Configure-a-DD-WRT-Kong-Router/
I tried to be normal once. Worst 2 minutes ever.
Sponsor
blturner
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 21:14    Post subject: Telnet worked Reply with quote
Myers,
Thanks, Telneting worked and only took a few minutes an no special cable. I had only flashed it one time.

For others that want to go the telnet route. You have to turn on telnet in Services then also in Administration areas of the web GUI.
The username is always root and not what you set in the web GUI but the password is what you set.

The only other question I have, is how do I reflash the other partition so that when I return this to BestBuy the next buyer does not get bitten by some future reboot to the other partition?
ATHF
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 21:29    Post subject: Re: Telnet worked Reply with quote
blturner wrote:

The only other question I have, is how do I reflash the other partition so that when I return this to BestBuy the next buyer does not get bitten by some future reboot to the other partition?

All you need to do to get stock on the other partition as well is download the firmware from Linksys's site and flash it through the current stock that is running on it now. Will overwrite DD-WRT on that partition.

Velop:2 WHW0101, RE6500, RE9000(AP)
Spectrum - 1000/50
SysLog Watcher 5, New security Onion box coming soon, Fingboxes, PiHoles, NEMS, Cacti, rpisurv
myersw
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 5:16    Post subject: Re: Telnet worked Reply with quote
ATHF wrote:
blturner wrote:

All you need to do to get stock on the other partition as well is download the firmware from Linksys's site and flash it through the current stock that is running on it now. Will overwrite DD-WRT on that partition.

Have you actually done this. Have heard of folks bricking doing this. Perhaps you know something they didn't. Know you typically give good info.

--bill

ATHF
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 5:52    Post subject: Re: Telnet worked Reply with quote
myersw wrote:

Have you actually done this. Have heard of folks bricking doing this. Perhaps you know something they didn't. Know you typically give good info.

--bill

To be honest, I haven't done it in a while, but I do remember doing the set boot_part, then using the GUI to go back to factory defaults, reboots to stock then flash the same stock from there.

Thanks for the compliment, same to you, try to read every post on here either to try to help or learn from the elders Smile

Velop:2 WHW0101, RE6500, RE9000(AP)
Spectrum - 1000/50
SysLog Watcher 5, New security Onion box coming soon, Fingboxes, PiHoles, NEMS, Cacti, rpisurv
Saijin_Naib
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 4:22    Post subject: Re: Telnet worked Reply with quote
blturner wrote:

Don't worry about it. Any opened item return for Linksys product goes to the Best Buy Product Return Center for processing. It isn't going directly back out on the shelf. Thanks for thinking of other people though Smile
elvisimprsntr

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 15:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
Looking for a solution for myself, had a bunch of WRT console port cables made in China for everyone. http://www.ebay.com/itm/132070173439

Read my post for re-flashing: http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=1054186#1054186
blturner
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 13:55    Post subject: Re: Telnet worked Reply with quote
ATHF wrote:
blturner wrote:

This seems to have worked. I did not switch partitions so I can't 100% guarantee. Thanks.
myersw
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 14:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
There are 2 partitions on the wrt series of routers. When you do an update, whether OEM or 3rd party the update/flash always goes to the unused partition and then boots to that partition. This is a safety feature so that you can get back to a good firmware load by switching back to the other partition.
--bill

usamartinez
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 21:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
[quote="myersw"]There are 2 partitions on the wrt series of routers. When you do an update, whether OEM or 3rd party the update/flash always goes to the unused partition and then boots to that partition. This is a safety feature so that you can get back to a good firmware load by switching back to the other partition.
--bill[/quote]
====
Hi
I purchased the WRt3200ACE a few days ago and would like to try DDWRT.
I read that I have to use the .IMG file first and use the .bin for updating DD-WRT.

Is there a Kong image for WRT3200ACE?
How do I go from DD-WRT back to stock?
Thank you
Mario
LookingForMyMojo
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 18:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
this information has been posted multiple times in these forums. Please search.
silelis
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
[quote="usamartinez"]
myersw wrote:

Is there a Kong image for WRT3200ACE?
How do I go from DD-WRT back to stock?
Thank you
Mario

There is no Kong firmware to WRT3200 at the monent.

For example change active partition to 1.
As I understand If You flash firmware "factory to DDWRT" the 2nd partition will be flashed (first time - and to be more precise flashed will be this partition which is currently not active so the active one is always as backup). So every time You will active 1st partition and flash "factory to DDWRT" the first will be with OEM firmware.
Please read this thread: Booting back to stock from other patition .
dbman
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
wow, flashing back to stock seems like a pain in the butt.

Do I really have to go down this serial port path stuff?

Probably need to wait until some revert back to stock FW comes out, huh?
LookingForMyMojo
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 17:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
it is as simple as you can imagine.

flash ddwrt from the linksys gui(once).

when you want to go back to linksys, telnet into your router.

when you login type:

ubootenv set boot_part 1
reboot

router will be back into linksys firmware in 30 seconds or less.
dbman
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 19:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
I cannot use telnet since on Windows 10, they only give you the option for telnet client, not telnet server.

So I was trying to use telnet via putty, but that fails with "Network error: Connection refused".

Putty:
hostname: 192.168.1.1
connection type: Telnet
port: 23

what am I missing here using putty?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 5 of 8
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.) All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: