DIY Repeater for XFINITY WiFi Hotspots using DD-WRT

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Hardware DIY / Hardware Mods
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
vik748
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 15:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
phbryan wrote:
I followed the steps for connecting my WRT54G v6 to optimumwifi and repeating it. It works, but incredibly slow. The wifi signal is strong, and gives no issues when connected directly, and if it was a login issue with optimum then i wouldn't get any connection. But the speed is just awful. I feel like im using an old dial-up connection. Any suggestions of what might be wrong?

phbryan, the WRT54G is only a B/G router so that limits its speed from the outset. Also when you put it in repeater mode, it has to create a virtual LAN-wifi network which further reduces its speed by more than half. To improve speed performance you could try the following:
1. Directly plug heavy-traffic clients directly into the router with an Ethernet cable.
2. Use 2 routers one as client and one as access point as described by fuzmik above.
3. Get a newer dual band router with 2.4 and 5 Ghz which comes with two separate wifi stacks ( I use the ASUS TM-AC1900 converted to ASUS RT-AC68U https://slickdeals.net/f/9330575-asus-tm-ac1900-wireless-ac1900-dual-band-gigabit-router-59-free-shipping?src=SiteSearchV2Algo1). Then as I have done, you can use the N/AC interface for your broadband as a repeater and then use the b/g interface for the LAN. I found this setup to be orders of magnitude faster than my previous WRT120N.
Sponsor
MegadanX
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 21:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
If I were to go on newegg/ebay and purchase a faster, DD-WRT compatible router it should work with XfinityWifi using the methods outlined above, correct?

ALSO, would I be able to set up parental controls on the router?

Goal is simple:
XfinityWifi -> DD-WRT Router -> Wired Network. And there are a few sites (https & http) that I need to block on Ethernet network.

Thanks.
vik748
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 15:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
MegadanX wrote:
If I were to go on newegg/ebay and purchase a faster, DD-WRT compatible router it should work with XfinityWifi using the methods outlined above, correct?

ALSO, would I be able to set up parental controls on the router?

Goal is simple:
XfinityWifi -> DD-WRT Router -> Wired Network. And there are a few sites (https & http) that I need to block on Ethernet network.

Thanks.

Yes that should work and you would have full access to parental control functionality that DD-WRT offers. Unfortunately, I don't have much experience with that function.
AbleToDo
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
vik748 wrote:
phbryan wrote:
I followed the steps for connecting my WRT54G v6 to optimumwifi and repeating it. It works, but incredibly slow. The wifi signal is strong, and gives no issues when connected directly, and if it was a login issue with optimum then i wouldn't get any connection. But the speed is just awful. I feel like im using an old dial-up connection. Any suggestions of what might be wrong?

phbryan, the WRT54G is only a B/G router so that limits its speed from the outset. Also when you put it in repeater mode, it has to create a virtual LAN-wifi network which further reduces its speed by more than half. To improve speed performance you could try the following:
1. Directly plug heavy-traffic clients directly into the router with an Ethernet cable.
2. Use 2 routers one as client and one as access point as described by fuzmik above.
3. Get a newer dual band router with 2.4 and 5 Ghz which comes with two separate wifi stacks ( I use the ASUS TM-AC1900 converted to ASUS RT-AC68U https://slickdeals.net/f/9330575-asus-tm-ac1900-wireless-ac1900-dual-band-gigabit-router-59-free-shipping?src=SiteSearchV2Algo1). Then as I have done, you can use the N/AC interface for your broadband as a repeater and then use the b/g interface for the LAN. I found this setup to be orders of magnitude faster than my previous WRT120N.

I have been trying to get my dual band ASUS RT-N66U to work as a client, similar as described in a few posts on this thread, but I have only had limited success setting it up as a repeater. I was getting decent speed with it as a repeater however I would like to get the client mode working for ease of logging in to the network, security and perhaps better speed as well. Can those of you who have had success direct me to the best setup to set up router as client or client bridge?
cyberrosen
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 0:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi,
I have a Linksys WRT160NL, successfully flashed DDWRT and configured it as an Xfinitywifi repeater (mode = client + virtual interface). While I can get occasionally get slow service (ex: connecting to Yahoo), I can no longer access the DDWRT console via the WRT160NL's IP address. I previously could do this. The status shown at the bottom of Chrome is "Waiting for 192.168.2.1" and eventually times out.

What's also weird is the WPS light on the WRT160NL stays solid amber now, which the manual indicates as "a problem with the WPS setup". Because I'm no longer able to log into the DDWRT console, I can't change/disable the WPS feature. I

Any thoughts why the router would allow slow/limited connectivity, but block access to the DDWRT console?
JohnSmith75
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
thx for sharing this useful info Smile
pharoadon
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 7:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have been trying to get my dual band ASUS RT-N66U to work as a client, similar as described in a few posts on this thread, but I have only had limited success setting it up as a repeater. I was getting decent speed with it as a repeater however I would like to get the client mode working for ease of logging in to the network, security and perhaps better speed as well. Can those of you who have had success direct me to the best setup to set up router as client or client bridge?[/quote]

I have this exact router setup as a media bridge using Merlin...install Merlin and you'll find your task much easier.
topherbin
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 22:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
So what if there are multiple xfinitywifi signals and the strongest one happens to be messed up? How can i block its mac address so i dont connect to it?

I had been just connecting with a tenda usb wifi dongle and it only connects to the strongest signal so i thought id give my wrt54g with dd-wrt a try.

I dont see an option for blocking it. I mean i found the one for blocking mac addresses from connecting to me but that dont help.
topherbin
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 4:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
I know this is old and all but i really hope someone can help me out.
photoagent101
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 18:13    Post subject: TP-Link CPE210 WISP/Access Point Keeps Xfinity Login Active Reply with quote
I've been testing the TP-Link CPE210 and TL-WA7210N Outdoor Wireless Access Points/WISP routers. They have been working astoundingly well at my summer house. The CPE210 is the newer and more reliable WISP router. It receives an Xfinity signal (at least 100 yards away) and rebroadcasts the signal. It's been working, with no human intervention, since mid-September of this year -- over two months. Both of these units receive an Xfinity signal and will go for weeks and months without requiring someone to log in to the Xfinity login page again.
martinxgarrix
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 16:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
asdasd wrote:
Hello. Would this work if I had to log into the wifi?

Well to login into the xfinity/Comcast router admin settings follow the steps given in this article: https://10-0-0-0-1.org/comcast-router-login/
Networknoob13
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 1:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
After a few days trying I'm at my wits end...

I have a Linksys E1200 v2 which I've flashed with a ddwrt mega build. I've followed all of the instructions/suggestions on this thread and am running the router in repeater mode. Am able to access Xfinity internet through Ethernet cable.

Can see the virtual wireless network, but devices are unable to connect to the network. Have tried to connect several wireless devices to the repeated network and all say "unable to join".

Any suggestions? Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks
a2gtinut
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 20:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
hello all,
I was successful to setup old wrt54g but due to slow and HW limitation purchased dual band Asus Ac66u B2,
I have loaded r37012 std (09/21/1Cool but there way more options and features....I cant get it to work the same way as old hardware.
Any of you have better step by step instructiosn, maybe screen shots of each setting.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 Display posts from previous:    Page 4 of 4
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Hardware DIY / Hardware Mods All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: