Asus Rt N12 D1 - SOLUTION

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
mrjcd
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 4:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
Testing for good WDS builds for Asus RT-N12 D1 -- just to share some info Cool
These 6 builds tested good using WDS w/WPA2 aes but no newer builds
and any K3.x I used is slow wired & wireless and really a pain on this box.

All builds I tested after 26125 will NOT work with WDS using WPA2 aes security.

All have been tested using WDS in G-Only mode to a WAP54Gv3.1 some builds
only slightly better w/best rate being 26.25 Mbps -- all tests done on CH 13, wmm
support off, Frame burst enabled, short preamble & shortslot override, CTS off .....
oh yea..... reminds me of a little quirk with this box ¬
Do NOT enable 'Afterburner' if wireless mode is set to 'G-Only'
Do NOT set to 'G-Only' wireless mode if 'Afterburner is enabled.
These two will NOT play together under any circumstances with any build --- the only
way to recover
from this is a reboot while holding the WPS button for 7 seconds
(clears the nvram) this will also reset ports where port 4 acts as WAN port.

Another note while I'm thinking: If you take a new RT-N12 D1 or any of
these boxes with stock firmware (there's 4 stock firmwares) put it into recovery
mode by holding in the 'reset button' (count to 17) at power up and then TFTP any
dd-wrt mini build one within this year would be best Smile-- e.g file name
dd-wrt.v24-xxxxx_NEWD-2_K2.6_mini.bin -- giving it plenty of time to install
(no less than 7 full minutes.. this is usually slow TFTP over the stock FW..use your favorite
TFTP client or terminal ... I don't have Asus recovery tool, never seen it, don't want it)
then power off. Reset by holding WPS @ power on for 7 seconds, log in GUI set
username/PW then reinstall the same dd-wrt bin file or another or any mega if you
desire..... as long as it's a K2.6 with file name like... dd-wrt.v24-xxxxx_NEWD-2_K2.6_mega.bin.
When you install a dd-wrt build over another dd-wrt build using the GUI the ports will sort
themselves out correctly. They will only revert back to WAN = port 4 if you use CL 'erase nvram'
or you use the 'power-on holding WPS button'. A 'Set To Factory Defaults' in the GUI will
not revert the ports
and ports hold fine thru any K2.6 install -- should never use 'reset during an install'.
All my testing done with K2.6 builds carry over nvram settings without a problem and also the use
of 'nvrambak.bin' works well. ..but K3.x is a different story for another time... and not anything like K2.6.

All builds listed have also been tested WDS bridged to a 2nd RT-N12 D1. Rates vary
only slightly.. 70 ~ 76.5 Mbps, N-Only, CH 1 upper 40MHz using comper wired to one testing
across the WDS bridge wired to main network. Everything done as pure wireless bridge with
(no wireless clients connected to either WDS router)

EDIT: After a little fine tuning with both N12D1 running 26125 I'm getting good 77 ~ 84
topping 88.7 Mbps across WDS
Sponsor
drarkanex
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 16:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks for the legwork. Man this router has been testing me. I've also noticed that Asus released the source on this router so it should be a lot easier to get a full blown firmware for this.

Link for Source Code: http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/wireless/RT-N12_D1/GPL_RT_N12_D1_30043786975.zip
mrjcd
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 16:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
drarkanex wrote:
Thanks for the legwork. Man this router has been testing me. I've also noticed that Asus released the source on this router so it should be a lot easier to get a full blown firmware for this.

I just took the WDS setup down this morning. Both RT-N12_D1 running 26125 K2.6
Was very pleased with them..no dropouts or problems moving many GBs but only testing it across a couple rooms for few days. Going to see how it does on a longer range setup.
Yea it would be nice if they had full dd-wrt support Laughing I like the lil' guys.. they are tough boxes.

I didn't mention it before and I know all the guys before me have done lots work but for anyone interested --- I would only use the CFE recovery page to load stock firmware back to the RT-N12_D1 and never for anything else...trust me it will keep you out of trouble. With any stock firmware you can go to old/newer or newer/old using its GUI and after dd-wrt is installed I never had any trouble using GUI to install whatever K2.6 I wanted.

The K3.x builds can get you in trouble with ports reverting to 4=WAN and lots other bad things if not careful with it. And I haven't found a reason to use a K3.x on this until it is more so supported....
Fussion9
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 16:08    Post subject: How to set an OPEN VPN after applying DD-WRT in RT-N12 d1 Reply with quote
Hello All.
This forum was really helpful, but I am not sure if I am doing things right.
I have few specific questions, maybe someone can give me ideas:

BEFORE MY QUESTIONS, SOME INFORMATION:

1. My OBJECTIVE is to install the DDWR in my Asus RT-N12 d1 router in order to apply an OPEN VPN to see Netflix and other services restricted by geolocation using fire TV from Amazon.

2. I found the following link from a "howtogeek" webpage and followed the instructions:
http://www.howtogeek.com/221889/connect-your-home-router-to-a-vpn-to-bypass-censorship-filtering-and-more/

3. As I did not find directly the instructions to install DDWR in the Asus RT-12 d1, I googled the issue and found this forum.

4. In this forum, I found the instructions posted by 80sguitartist from Sun Nov 02, 2014 21:39 and I was able to install the DDWR with a some issues:
4.1 WIFI LED turns OFF even when WIFI is ON (it is not so important actually)
4.2 In the "howtogeek" webpage, it is mentioned that in the configuration of the DDWR in the router (in Network Address Server Settings (DHCP)), I should see the option "Force DDNS", but this option is not available, will this be a problem?
4.3 When I try to enable VPN, there is no 'OPEN VPN' option, so I cannot follow the instructions from "howtogeek".

MY QUESTIONS ARE:

A) Did I do wright by following the instructions from 80sguitartist from Sun Nov 02, 2014 21:39 or does anyone recommend me to install other version of the software. If is there any recommendation, could you please send me detailed instructions?

B) How do I complete the installation of the OPEN VPN in order to accomplish my objective if there is no OPEN VPN available (there are other VPN but I have no idea which to use it and how to configure it)

Thank you very much for any help.
Cheers
mrjcd
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 17:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
The dd-wrt.v24-26125_NEWD-2_K2.6_mega.bin has openVPN. This seems to be an 'OK' build for
this router -- but the Asus RT-N12 D1 has never been fully supported by dd-wrt. I have done
many things with this box although never used any openVPN on this router.
However ---- I would highly recommend you install Shibby Tomato since it does support the N12 D1.
I do use openVPN w/tomato on the E2500 & E1200v2 as servers & clients and it is a fairly easy setup.

I encourage you to Google 'installing tomato firmware' if you know nothing about it.
I will provide a direct download link from my site of the Shibby Tomato Asus RT-N12 D1
firmware (zip file of the firmware.trx) that I would use for openVPN client.
'tomato-K26-1.28.RT-N5x-MIPSR2-128-Max.zip'

do some reseach - good luck
Danytag
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 20:07    Post subject: Openvpn on asus rt n12 d1 Reply with quote
hi all

does this firmware work on asus rt n12 d1 (dd-wrt.v24-14896_NEWD-2_K2.6_openvpn_small)? I already have an older ddwrt firmware installed on my router but with no openvpn feature.

Appreciate your help if you have clear and step by step guidelines.

Thanks
edd921
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 3:04    Post subject: Re: Openvpn on asus rt n12 d1 Reply with quote
Danytag wrote:
hi all

does this firmware work on asus rt n12 d1 (dd-wrt.v24-14896_NEWD-2_K2.6_openvpn_small)? I already have an older ddwrt firmware installed on my router but with no openvpn feature.

Thanks

This firmware works on ASUS RT-N12 D1 and has OpenVPN options. It also has the ports on the back the correct way round so if flashing to this from ASUS firmware you shouldn't need to do the Telnet steps on P1: ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/2016/10-18-2016-r30771/broadcom_K3X/dd-wrt.v24-30771_NEWD-2_K3.x_mega_RT-N12.trx
fosseperme
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 14:00    Post subject: Re: Openvpn on asus rt n12 d1 Reply with quote
edd921 wrote:
Danytag wrote:
hi all

Thanks

This firmware works on ASUS RT-N12 D1 and has OpenVPN options. It also has the ports on the back the correct way round so if flashing to this from ASUS firmware you shouldn't need to do the Telnet steps on P1: ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/2016/10-18-2016-r30771/broadcom_K3X/dd-wrt.v24-30771_NEWD-2_K3.x_mega_RT-N12.trx

flash this version directly from Asus Firmware with Asus “Firmware Restoration" and DD WRT works? This is a version full compatibile with D1 version? The various steps of this guide are no longer necessary?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 14:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi

I have really big problem installing this on my device. Have followed the steps, tried to do it in other ways. change settings in computer, tried different ports. But i'm just bricking it. Cant access the device or don't got internet. Some times i can access the device for a few seconds just to be kicked out of it a few moments later.

Any suggestions or help?

Edit: Finaly got it to work yesterday after a few failed flashes, but today this morning i had to reboot the router to get the ethernet to work (wifi working just fine)

Edit: Have been working pretty good, except wifi seems to reboot itself several times a day? Also it is shown as "Asus RT-N12B" under "System Information" Firmware: DD-WRT v3.0-r30880 mini (11/14/16) is that normal?
Andy84
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 4:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
I got unidentified network most times when i installed 26125 and

ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/2016/10-18-2016-r30771/broadcom_K3X/dd-wrt.v24-30771_NEWD-2_K3.x_mega_RT-N12.trx

after installing the router starts i can connect from pc then after short time it starts again and i cannot connect to the router
mulberry
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 6:56    Post subject: Re: Openvpn on asus rt n12 d1 Reply with quote
[quote="fosseperme"]
edd921 wrote:
Danytag wrote:
hi all

Thanks

Uploaded firmware (dd-wrt.v24-30771_NEWD-2_K3.x_mega_RT-N12.trx) and upload completed successfully. Changed back to DHCP and could not log in to router. Any help is appreciated. Thank you.
mulberry
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
Got the ddwrt firmware (dd-wrt.v24-30771_NEWD-2_K3.x_mega_RT-N12.trx) installed. I could only connect to the router via WiFi to enter dd-wrt settings. WAN settings shows up as all zeros for the ip address. Internet is not working. Could not connect to dd-wrt through Lan ports.
hermski
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:23    Post subject: Asus RT N12 D1 as a client no Virtual Interface option Reply with quote
why can´t i add a virtual interface when putting the router as a client? the Virtual Interface option desapear when i choose Client mode.

i want to connect this router to a wifi network (auto DHCP) in other house and creating a new protected wifi in my house.

can someone help please?
econcepts
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 19:50    Post subject: Re: Openvpn on asus rt n12 d1 Reply with quote
edd921 wrote:
Danytag wrote:
hi all

Thanks

flashed this up down and sideways - only ever get a black screen. The only firmware I have ever got to work reliably is 17990 (dd-wrt.v24-17990_NEWD-2_K2.6_mini_RT-N12B1.trx) - I use it on at least 15 of them with no major issues (other than uneven processing o, and the ports L4 and Wan were switched on a couple of them). Unfortunately there is no openvpn. You said you got this to work - we are talking about an RT-N12 D1, right? I tried a few other bios around 30771 with the same results.
dechronic
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 21:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
econcepts suggestion of using the K3X version of dd-wrt is incorrect for this model. The K3X drivers are not stable with the RT-12N D1. That is why anyone who uses it will lose connection to the router, have crashes, etc. especially when trying to set the wireless settings; for me at least.

Goto ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/
    Click on the year of the version you want to install, (e.g. 2017)
    Click on the date-version of the file you want (e.g. 03-04-2017-r31571)
    Click on broadcom_K26
    Download the dd-wrt.v24-XXXXX_NEWD-2_K2.6_mega.bin (where XXXXX is the version number, e.g. dd-wrt.v24-31571_NEWD-2_K2.6_mega.bin)
    Reset and flash that file using the TFTP method or recovery method, especially, if you are already using the K3X dd-wrt versions.

If you find that the version you have downloaded is not giving you the optimum stability, etc. Try an earlier year/date/version until you find one that best suits your purposes.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 13, 14, 15  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 6 of 15
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: