trouble with 22118 on ASUS RT-N16 - did I brick my router?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2  Next
brbell01
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 18:18    Post subject: trouble with 22118 on ASUS RT-N16 - did I brick my router? Reply with quote
I'm stuck. I'm doing this firmware flash thing for the first time in order to get a VPN client running on my ASUS RT-N16. I had k26 running fine then decided to flash dd-wrt.v24-22118_NEWD-2_K3.x_big.bin. For some history I started with from stock dd-wrt, flashed then 15943. As far as I can tell I cleared out NVRAM after every flash. Router admin dashboard showed success and router reboot messages from the admin panel, but now the router will not communicate via wifi. Power and LAN lights show, but not the wifi light. I tried manual reset of the NVRAM using the WPS button without success. Any ideas? Have I bricked this thing? Thanks so much in advance
Sponsor
redhawk0
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 20:45    Post subject: Re: trouble with 22118 on ASUS RT-N16 - did I brick my route Reply with quote
brbell01 wrote:
I'm stuck. I'm doing this firmware flash thing for the first time in order to get a VPN client running on my ASUS RT-N16. I had k26 running fine then decided to flash dd-wrt.v24-22118_NEWD-2_K3.x_big.bin. For some history I started with from stock dd-wrt, flashed then 15943. As far as I can tell I cleared out NVRAM after every flash. Router admin dashboard showed success and router reboot messages from the admin panel, but now the router will not communicate via wifi. Power and LAN lights show, but not the wifi light. I tried manual reset of the NVRAM using the WPS button without success. Any ideas? Have I bricked this thing? Thanks so much in advance

Directly from my notes...you have to use build 21530 for the upgrade to K3.x

redhawk

Code:
To get K3.x working on the RT-N16 unit....use the Asus Recovery Utility for initial flash.
Hold reset button while plugging in unit...wait for power button to blink.  This is recovery mode.

MUST USE build 21530 for this to work....can not be any other build.

Load these files in this order.

1 - dd-wrt.v24-14929_NEWD-2_K2.6_mini_RT-N16.trx (use Recovery Utility)
2 - dd-wrt.v24-21530_NEWD-2_K3.x_big.bin (through dd-wrt GUI) (Select Reset To Defaults)
3 - Update to latest K3.x_big file

Once K3.x is installed:
Do NOT issue "erase nvram" command from CLI...this unit only has 64K of nvram...the CLI thinks it has 128K and the firmware thinks its 256k...this means doing an "erase nvram" removed other parts of the flash chip (likely firmware partition "dd-wrt" or "linux")

Note: build 21530 seems to have wireless issues...it broadcasts the ssid...but you can't connect to it...however, if in repeater bridge mode, you can contact it through the host AP at the router's IP address.

IF the router won't provide a Power LED after updating to the K3.x file...then there is a problem with the flash chip and it needs to be cleared (except the CFE).

mtd erase nvram
mtd erase ddwrt
mtd erase linux

This will clear the flash chip...now start the process again with the K2.6 build in step 1.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 14:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks redhawk0 for your quick and detailed reply. (In retrospect after reading the peacock post, I believe I neglected to WAIT, just like a NOOB and thus causing the current pain.) I neglected to mention in my initial post that I was not getting any pings on 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.2. I used windows GUI recovery utility to try to flash dd-wrt.v24-14929_NEWD-2_K2.6_mini_RT-N16.trx, but interface says no device in recovery mode was found. I tried using both restore button and WPS buttons. So once power light flashes slowly, router should be in recovery mode, correct? So... time for a jtag?
redhawk0
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 17:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
brbell01 wrote:
Thanks redhawk0 for your quick and detailed reply. (In retrospect after reading the peacock post, I believe I neglected to WAIT, just like a NOOB and thus causing the current pain.) I neglected to mention in my initial post that I was not getting any pings on 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.2. I used windows GUI recovery utility to try to flash dd-wrt.v24-14929_NEWD-2_K2.6_mini_RT-N16.trx, but interface says no device in recovery mode was found. I tried using both restore button and WPS buttons. So once power light flashes slowly, router should be in recovery mode, correct? So... time for a jtag?

No...you're in recovery mode when it blinks...you need the Asus Firmware Restoration Tool to access the unit.

redhawk

Utility.zip
 Description:
Includes Asus Recovery Tool.

Download
 Filename:  Utility.zip
 Filesize:  16.38 MB
 Downloaded:  498 Time(s)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks for the utility. I installed on my windows machine and gave it a try but was again unable to contact the router. No response.
redhawk0
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 14:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
You need to access it using a cable. Don't try it via wireless.

Press and hold the WPS button on the back for 30 seconds...unplug and replug the power still holding the button...then wait another 30 seconds...this should reset the unit to its default IP.

Now with the cable connected...run the restoration tool with the 14929 K2.6 trx file. It should take about 10 seconds..then begin to reset and flash it.

redhawk

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 22:48    Post subject: Re: trouble with 22118 on ASUS RT-N16 - did I brick my route Reply with quote
redhawk0 wrote:
To get K3.x working on the RT-N16 unit....use the Asus Recovery Utility for initial flash.
Hold reset button while plugging in unit...wait for power button to blink. This is recovery mode.

MUST USE build 21530 for this to work....can not be any other build.

2 - dd-wrt.v24-21530_NEWD-2_K3.x_big.bin (through dd-wrt GUI) (Select Reset To Defaults)

Once K3.x is installed:
Do NOT issue "erase nvram" command from CLI
...this unit only has 64K of nvram...the CLI thinks it has 128K and the firmware thinks its 256k...this means doing an "erase nvram" removed other parts of the flash chip (likely firmware partition "dd-wrt" or "linux")

Note: build 21530 seems to have wireless issues...it broadcasts the ssid...but you can't connect to it...however, if in repeater bridge mode, you can contact it through the host AP at the router's IP address.

IF the router won't provide a Power LED after updating to the K3.x file...then there is a problem with the flash chip and it needs to be cleared (except the CFE).

mtd erase nvram
mtd erase ddwrt
mtd erase linux

This will clear the flash chip...now start the process again with the K2.6 build in step 1.

I'm confused. You say not to erase nvram on K3.x, but then further on you say to erase nvram on K3.x.

Also, what is the cause of this problem? Is it likely to be fixed at some point?

I'd like to update my RT-N16 to K3.x, but I tend to set-it-and-forget-it, and I am afraid that a year from now I may not remember this issue.

Last edited by unknownsoldierx on Tue Feb 14, 2017 23:14; edited 1 time in total
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 23:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
He means not to perform an nvram erase after you've loaded the K3.X build.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
Malachi is right...

the mtd commands at the end are if you are completely dead in the water. These commands erase the entire flash chip except for the CFE.

The normal erase nvram command when you have a running unit could erase the nvram and parts of the kernel or dd-wrt (linux) partitions....then it would be dead in the water and you'd have to issue the mtd commands to recover.

Once you get a working K3.x on the unit...set it and forget it....don't bother with it again once things are working for you. If you do forget...take notes...refer to them later. (its why I share my notes here...I've not worked on a RT-N16 for about a year.

redhawk

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 13:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
Once again no response following your instructions (over ethernet). I've posted a screenshot of the message.

error_screenshot.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  22.55 KB
 Viewed:  15336 Time(s)

error_screenshot.jpg

Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 13:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
Where are you located?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 14:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
NOT the WPS wizard...use the Restoration Utility.

redhawk

restoration.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  22.15 KB
 Viewed:  15330 Time(s)

restoration.jpg

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 21:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
Success! I managed to get dd-wrt.v24-21530_NEWD-2_K3.x_big.bin running on my router. Thank you very much for your patience! I was about to give up actually. The problem was a faulty network adapter on my PC. In the end I had to run a windows virtual client on my mac to get the recovery utility to work. It contacted and installed the first firmware onto the router. Once wireless functions started working, I could proceed to the second install on my mac.

A side note: you are right about the wireless issues with the 21530 build. I changed the SSID and rebooted but in my case the router stopped broadcasting the new wireless network name. Will need to back up a step but I've gotten long way in just the last few minutes.

Thanks again!
brbell01
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 21:07    Post subject: Re: trouble with 22118 on ASUS RT-N16 - did I brick my route Reply with quote
redhawk0 wrote:

Will create a new thread for a recommendation on a better K3.x build.
hex65000
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 23:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
First of all, this was a very helpful post that helped me get my RT-N16 at least up and running. I had already soldered on headers in case I needed to go the JTAG route.

I managed to screw my N-16 firmware up by loading an incorrect firmware version onto it. I don't recall which one exactly. After breaking it, it was set aside for several months.

That said, I'm still unable to get any of the K3 big files to load and work. Loading the K2.6 mini binary using the Asus recovery tool was successful. Below is what I have done:

- Installed Asus utility (again, thanks for the link)
- PC IP: 192.168.1.37 connected via ethernet cable to LAN port 1 of the router.
- start the recovery utility and selected the suggested recovery file: " dd-wrt.v24-14929_NEWD-2_K2.6_mini_RT-N16.trx "
- Opened a command window (pc is win7) Issued the command " ping 192.168.1.1 -4 -n 1000 "
- with the ping program running and the recover button held, the router was plugged in.
- When the terminal reported a TTL of 100, I started the code loading process on the Asus recovery tool. When the recovery tool indicated that it was working, I stopped the ping in the command window by pressing <ctl>-c.
-Waited for the recovery tool to indicate that it has succeeded. When it did, I tried to ping the router again. TTL was now 64.
- attach to the web interface and give the router a new username/PW.

The above worked repeatedly without any issues. I was even able to load a newer K2.6 version using the same process. " dd-wrt.v24-21286_NEWD-2_K2.6_mini_RT-N16.trx " This is what is currently loaded on my N16 router. It seems to play nicely for the most part. The radio still seems a bit below average in performance, but other than one drop it's worked reasonably well with one wireless device attached.

That said, I have not had success loading the closest version of the K3 firmware I could find: " dd-wrt.v24-21676_NEWD-2_K3.x-big-RT-N16.trx ". I was not able to find V24-21530.

The issue I have is as redhawk described, the power LED goes out and stays out. I then tried issuing the three " mtd erase " commands via the Administration -> commands interface and then reloading the mini firmware via the recovery application and then loading the K3.x file via the Administration -> Firmware Upgrade interface with the "reset to defaults" selected. I also tried this process with a newer image " dd-wrt.v24-31544_NEWD-2_K3.x-big-RT-N16.trx " and no luck. I know I'm probably missing something simple. Any ideas?

Router: Asus RT-N16 ; Firmware: DD-WRT v24-sp2 (04/15/13) mini - build 21286
Goto page 1, 2  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: