WNDR4500 v3 (Atheros)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2  Next
madgermandr
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 12:25    Post subject: WNDR4500 v3 (Atheros) Reply with quote
Hello,

I'm a long time DD-WRT user. I currently have a Netgear WNDR4500v3 router. The software sucks and I'm tired of using it. Long story how I got this router. Anyways, I would like to attempt to venture down the road of getting DD-WRT on this version of router. My understanding is that v1 and v2 both had the Broadcom chips in them where this has the Atheros chip set in it. I have also read that the v3 only takes .img files to do the upgrade.

What I want to do is attempt to build a firmware version of dd-wrt for this model. What are some of the steps I need to take to make this happen?

Edited:
Doing more research I found that this has the

Chipset QCA9563
Flash 128mb
Ram 128mb

Also the D-link DIR-859 has this same chipset in it and it is supported by dd-wrt

Thanks
Sponsor
madgermandr
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 19:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
I want to be clear that I am not asking for someone to do this for me but for someone to help point me in the right direction. I see this as a learning experience. I want someone to teach me to fish, rather than someone give me a fish.

Does anyone know if Kongs tutorial works for Atheros based hardware? He has a really good write-up from last year that I thought about giving a go.

Thanks
CraftyClown
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 13:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
Urghhh,I just sent a WNDR3700 back yesterday as they sent me a v5 which isn't DD-WRT compatible.

I immediately ordered a WNDR4500 as the only mention I could see online was the V1 and V2 which are both compatible.

Gutted to receive the v3 and discover there is no compatible DD-WRT for this either.

I will be following this thread with great interest
madgermandr
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 20:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
I am going to see if I can't figure it out. I'm not getting much help unfortunately. I'll let you know what happens.
tatsuya46
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 21:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
dont cross flash it itll brick...the hardware is anything but similar even, its atheros while previous are broadcom, either wait, donate a unit, or return it & get a different router

BrainSlayer wrote:
we just do it since we do not like any restrictions enforced by stupid cocaine snorting managers

[x86_64] Haswell i3-4150/QCA9984/QCA9882 ------> r55488 std
[QUALCOMM] DIR-862L --------------------------------> r55460 std
▲ ACTIVE / INACTIVE ▼
[QUALCOMM] WNDR4300 v1 --------------------------> r50485 std
[BROADCOM] DIR-860L A1 ----------------------------> r50485 std

Sigh.. why do i exist anyway.. | I love you Anthony.. never forget that.. my other 99% that ill never see again..

madgermandr
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 0:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thank for posting that tatsuya. I knew that but someone else may not know that. Good warning either way. Thanks for looking out for us.
madgermandr
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 1:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
Tatsuya do you think you could point me in a good direct to maybe get this one working? At least a solid start. It looks like there have been a few others with this chipset that are working on other devices.
tatsuya46
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 23:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
if its not supported its not supported, unless u have know how nearly on par with the developer, u cant do anything even if the same hardware is supported on other models already. only in rare specific cases can something like header edits make it work, but thats not the same here

BrainSlayer wrote:
we just do it since we do not like any restrictions enforced by stupid cocaine snorting managers

[x86_64] Haswell i3-4150/QCA9984/QCA9882 ------> r55488 std
[QUALCOMM] DIR-862L --------------------------------> r55460 std
▲ ACTIVE / INACTIVE ▼
[QUALCOMM] WNDR4300 v1 --------------------------> r50485 std
[BROADCOM] DIR-860L A1 ----------------------------> r50485 std

Sigh.. why do i exist anyway.. | I love you Anthony.. never forget that.. my other 99% that ill never see again..

c4103
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 19:15    Post subject: WNDR4500v3 Reply with quote
I stupidly purchased this router assuming that v2 was the latest in stores and was unfortunately wrong. I'm willing to donate my unit for code research as long as I can get it back, assuming it isn't bricked in the process. Anyone know who developed the v1 and v2 firmwares and if I can get in touch with them?
KrypteX
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 19:20    Post subject: Re: WNDR4500v3 Reply with quote
c4103 wrote:
I stupidly purchased this router assuming that v2 was the latest in stores and was unfortunately wrong. I'm willing to donate my unit for code research as long as I can get it back, assuming it isn't bricked in the process. Anyone know who developed the v1 and v2 firmwares and if I can get in touch with them?

My understanding is that the devs accept donations, but will probably not return it back to you.

stupsi99
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 16:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
I hope there will be V3 supported soon….

I buy by mistake wndr4500v3 too

Stupsi99
c4103
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 16:23    Post subject: Re: WNDR4500v3 Reply with quote
KrypteX wrote:
c4103 wrote:

My understanding is that the devs accept donations, but will probably not return it back to you.

That's kind of unfortunate. I would even be willing to pay for shipping both ways / their time. I've been a developer myself for around 10 years and understand what goes into making a router firmware. I know it takes time and effort and whoever works on it should be compensated but it kind of defeats the purpose for someone donating a unit if they can't use it afterward. Like, I understand the risk where they'll have to solder on a JTAG or whatever but if the thing still works and they successfully develop the firmware I don't think it's too much to ask to toss it in a box and ship it US Mail or whatever. Maybe I'll just take a crack at it myself.
countytime
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 1:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
Quote:
Urghhh,I just sent a WNDR3700 back yesterday as they sent me a v5 which isn't DD-WRT compatible.

I immediately ordered a WNDR4500 as the only mention I could see online was the V1 and V2 which are both compatible.

Gutted to receive the v3 and discover there is no compatible DD-WRT for this either.

I just went through this exact process. Ordered the 3700, they sent me a v5 instead of v2, sent it back, ordered a 4500, they sent me a v3, which I didn't even know existed.

Why does Netgear make it so difficult to limit the bandwidth of guests?? It's 2016, this should be standard everywhere, I don't understand how it isn't.
mfmkhatri
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 22:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
Is there any news for DD-WRT on the V3?

The stock firmware sucks big time. It slows down(network speed) every couple of days and needs to restart to get it back up again.

That being said, the V3 has one of the best hardware in consumer line routers but the stock firmware does not do it justice.
Oliverda
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 14:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
Has somebody donated a v3?
Goto page 1, 2  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: