YaMon limits my R8500 Downstream to 150Mbps

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
DaveTheNerd
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 18:23    Post subject: YaMon limits my R8500 Downstream to 150Mbps Reply with quote
I noticed my downstream bandwidth being slower than expected lately, and this morning set about to doing some tests (related, I did some QoS testing, too).

Regardless of whether or not QoS is enabled, my R8500 seems to max out at about 150Mbps on my downstream if I have YaMon enabled. Usually its about 130Mbps and occasionally 170Mbps, but never do I see my full 230Mbps downstream with YaMon running. IPv6 sees faster speeds than IPv4, and I think that's related to the fact that the way the DD-WRT kernel is setup the IPv6 packets aren't subject to as much inspection (or something... read the posts about that for more).

Regardless, I can't seem to get anything close to approaching my full 230Mbps downstream with YaMon running. Anyone else experiencing this?
Sponsor
ddaniel51
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 21:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm getting my full 300mbs to 350mbs through my ipv4 wired R8500 with YAMon3 running with no problem. No QOS,VPN's.

You might want to shop for a better test server as some of them are erratic and suck at times.

Wired AP 3 Unifi Wifi 6 LR US 1Gb LAN
Syslog Services Asustor 7110T NAS 10GB
NetGear XS716T 10GB Switch
download1.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/betas/ (Brain Slayer)
YAMon https://usage-monitoring.com/index.php
DaveTheNerd
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
Interesting, and thanks. I'm pretty confident of my test results and not worried about the server in this scenario. Perhaps it's something about the way I've got Yamon or some other aspect of DD-WRT configured.

I've probably got about 60 devices that Yamon is tracking. How many do you have?
ddaniel51
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
About 20.

_updatefreq='30' # number of seconds between updates (* default `15` sec)

Raising the update interval will take some load off the router.

Wired AP 3 Unifi Wifi 6 LR US 1Gb LAN
Syslog Services Asustor 7110T NAS 10GB
NetGear XS716T 10GB Switch
download1.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/betas/ (Brain Slayer)
YAMon https://usage-monitoring.com/index.php
al_c
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 5:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
DaveTheNerd wrote:
Interesting, and thanks. I'm pretty confident of my test results and not worried about the server in this scenario. Perhaps it's something about the way I've got Yamon or some other aspect of DD-WRT configured.

I've probably got about 60 devices that Yamon is tracking. How many do you have?

Dave - I'm not seeing that sort of slow down... mind you, I don't have 60 devices on my router on any given day.

I'm currently using a TPLINK Archer C9 (DD-WRT v3.0-r31221 std (02/01/17)) as my main router... my 2.4Ghz wireless interface (NG mixed) is stuck at 72Mbps while the 5Ghz band (AC/N-Mixed) is 350+Mbps and sometimes 433+. The wired connection shows 1Gbps... whether I actually achieve those speeds is another matter.

Is there a lot of `thrashing` on the network (i.e., ip address changes)? What do your one, five, and fifteen minute server loads (on the YAMon `Live Usage` tab) look like?

Beyond what ddaniel51 suggested, what is the value of _logLevel in your config.file? Setting that value to 2 (or turning of logging altogether) will further reduce YAMon's load on your router.

Let me know if this helps.

Al
DaveTheNerd
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 12:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
al_c wrote:
DaveTheNerd wrote:

Dave - I'm not seeing that sort of slow down... mind you, I don't have 60 devices on my router on any given day.

I'm currently using a TPLINK Archer C9 (DD-WRT v3.0-r31221 std (02/01/17)) as my main router... my 2.4Ghz wireless interface (NG mixed) is stuck at 72Mbps while the 5Ghz band (AC/N-Mixed) is 350+Mbps and sometimes 433+. The wired connection shows 1Gbps... whether I actually achieve those speeds is another matter.

Is there a lot of `thrashing` on the network (i.e., ip address changes)? What do your one, five, and fifteen minute server loads (on the YAMon `Live Usage` tab) look like?

Beyond what ddaniel51 suggested, what is the value of _logLevel in your config.file? Setting that value to 2 (or turning of logging altogether) will further reduce YAMon's load on your router.

Al

Thanks for the reply! I didn't want to leave you hanging so figured I'd reply quickly on my own here. I tried ddaniel51’s suggestion and that didn't help.

I've since — after 10+ years on DD-WRT — moved over to using the Synology RT2600ac as my full time router now. SRM is amazingly robust with a killer GUI, and is even fully extensible with third-party packages that anyone can build and distribute. Pretty cool stuff, but I digress. Smile
al_c
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 19:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
DaveTheNerd wrote:
al_c wrote:
DaveTheNerd wrote:

Al

Thanks for the reply! I didn't want to leave you hanging so figured I'd reply quickly on my own here. I tried ddaniel51’s suggestion and that didn't help.

I've since — after 10+ years on DD-WRT — moved over to using the Synology RT2600ac as my full time router now. SRM is amazingly robust with a killer GUI, and is even fully extensible with third-party packages that anyone can build and distribute. Pretty cool stuff, but I digress. Smile

Dave - thanks for the update... I'll have to add SRM to my list of things to investigate.

Al
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: