Pixel Slow Upload over WiFi on WRT-1900AC

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.)
IGotDT
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 16:07    Post subject: Pixel Slow Upload over WiFi on WRT-1900AC Reply with quote
Two days ago, I noticed my backups (pictures, etc) had stopped on my Pixel with errors of 'Network Timeout.' After playing around trying to pin down the problem (NAS is ok, Router is fine, etc.), I found the phone just won't upload. Or it does intermittently at 100-200 Kbps with the VERY occasional burst of 45-50 Mbps. Downloads are fine, extremely fine at 90-110 Mbps. I do not believe it is a problem with the router as other devices on the same network have no problems. I am including screenshots from a HTC M9 and Pixel both connected to the same AP.
Now for the kicker. The Pixel is works as expected when connected to other WiFi APs (such as work, random Linksys and Netgears in the neighborhood, etc.). Just not at home. So back to the problem is with my router. But how, if everything else works fine? I'm posting here as well as the XDA forums. Maybe between the two I can find a resolution or someone else experiencing the same.
Devices used while testing:
Linksys WRT-1900AC running DD-WRT
Pixel (Google store variant not VZW)
HTC M9
Acer Chromebook
ASUS laptop running Win10

HTC M9 screenshot
Pixel screenshot
Sponsor
cguilford
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 18:14    Post subject: QOS? Reply with quote
Do you have QOS turned on? If so try to perhaps turn it off? I had turned it on to try to better route traffic to my router, when I did.. I had alot of Connectivity /speed issues. I turned it back on, boom everything was normal again.
IGotDT
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 22:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks for the reply. However, no, I do not have QoS enabled. Also, as suggested on the XDA forums, I do not have IPv6 on my network. This all seems strange as nothing was changed on my phone nor my network. Phone was fine one day and acting up the next and nothing else on the network is experiencing issues. Long weekend coming up so I'm thinking about erasing and resetting the phone to factory settings to start fresh. Phone is stock (not rooted, and still locked) as I actually like how it is and feel no need to alter it. Just perhaps something got fouled up on it. Will post back once I do the reset. In the mean time, if anyone has further suggestions, I am listening.
vnvjeep
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 14:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
IGotDT wrote:
In the mean time, if anyone has further suggestions, I am listening.

I own a Pixel XL as well (128GB Verizon variant), and I don't seem to be experiencing the same problems you do. I have a 1900AC V1, running the latest 30880 build.

The only other thing I would suggest is perhaps tweaking your wireless settings, and just see if that makes any difference? Below are mine settings that give me great up/download speeds on my Pixel and other devices:

2.4GHz (WPA2/AES)
Mode: AP
Network Mode: NG-Mixed
Width: Full 20MHz
Channel: 9

5GHz (WPA2/AES)
Mode: AP
Network Mode: Mixed
Width: VHT80
Channel: Auto (It settled on 149+155)
Extension: Upper

Good luck!

BS Links: ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/
IGotDT
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 13:26    Post subject: Update... Still having problems Reply with quote
After trying a couple suggestions, I went for a full reset on the phone. We were having a fire outside (habachi, nothing big) so I had some time to kill. Before installing my usual apps and everything, I ran a speedtest. Everything was great. I thought, "OK one of the apps was causing the problem." I figured that I would install one by one to find the culprit.

Well, installing is going to take a while, so might as well get comfy. I go to the living room, sit down and start. But before starting, I run another speedtest. Nothing. Well, 0.14 Mbps. Not the 36.84 Mbps I just had ten minutes ago. I go back outside and do another speedtest... 37.12 Mbps. I come inside... 0.43 Mbps. I walk into another room... 31.65 Mbps. Come back to the living room... 0.13 Mbps.

The router is in the living room which is where I have no upload. Downloads are still great everywhere and other devices have no issue (up or down). So, despite all, I still have to install my apps and get my phone back to usable for work. I will just have to have my phone do syncing when I'm in the driveway before going inside everyday.
vnvjeep
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 14:36    Post subject: Re: Update... Still having problems Reply with quote
IGotDT wrote:
After trying a couple suggestions, I went for a full reset on the phone. We were having a fire outside (habachi, nothing big) so I had some time to kill. Before installing my usual apps and everything, I ran a speedtest. Everything was great. I thought, "OK one of the apps was causing the problem." I figured that I would install one by one to find the culprit.

Well, installing is going to take a while, so might as well get comfy. I go to the living room, sit down and start. But before starting, I run another speedtest. Nothing. Well, 0.14 Mbps. Not the 36.84 Mbps I just had ten minutes ago. I go back outside and do another speedtest... 37.12 Mbps. I come inside... 0.43 Mbps. I walk into another room... 31.65 Mbps. Come back to the living room... 0.13 Mbps.

The router is in the living room which is where I have no upload. Downloads are still great everywhere and other devices have no issue (up or down). So, despite all, I still have to install my apps and get my phone back to usable for work. I will just have to have my phone do syncing when I'm in the driveway before going inside everyday.

Well that's just ridiculous! Wink Have you tried running speed tests from say 10' from your router... 15', 20', 25', etc...? Is it anywhere in your living room that the signal is bad? I initially thought it would be interference from walls or something, but if you're in the same room, that doesn't make sense. Did you mess with which antennas transmit/receive? Are they all pointing up?

Couple of more suggestions... Is there anything close to your router? TV? Electrical equipment? It could even be a lamp! Have you tried moving its location? "Interference can also be caused by simply having another electronic device too close to the wireless router itself. If the wireless router is sitting on or very close to a TV or sub-woofer speaker, or other electronic device, it can cause interference. In fact, in some cases if the router is to close to the wall and power is running inside the wall, that can cause issues. This is especially true if that power line is feeding fluorescent light bulbs."

IGotDT
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 16:13    Post subject: Speed tests v distance Reply with quote
OK, pulled the router out into the middle of the floor. Oh, thanks for the quick reply and help, it is really appreciated. It's usual home is in the entertainment center, yes. Not really hidden. TV and center channel speaker is about three feet above it. Subwoofer (wired) about 15 feet away. Six NAS, a NUC, modem, switch, WiiU, and a couple RPi's are also in the center. I did a couple tests though with the router on the floor, about 10 feet from the entertainment center. Five, ten, 15 feet no-go, 90-120 Mbps down and 0.09-0.18 Mbps up. After 15 feet I get a wall in the way and the up speed, surprisingly, jumps to 37. For shites & grins, I started the speed test in the living room and, at the half way point in the test, moved quickly to the other room. Result: puttered at 0.04 and sped up to a finish of 21.87.

Now, I know walls do not absorb radio on one side and amplify to the other side, but my experiment proved otherwise. And that radio really IS a black art.
As for settings and such. Antennas are straight up (it cracks me up when people distort them into various directions). I changed some settings for troubleshooting but, when they did not work, I put them back to the defaults.

Other devices (phones, computers) suffer no ill effects when tested the same way. This phone has great upload speeds at other AP's and routers at my work and various customers' routers, all non DD-WRT. I have walked up to the routers and done a test with expected results. I'm reluctant to reflash the router as putting the DHCP reservations and various port forwards is time consuming, but one day I may give that a go. When no family home, because, well... because teenagers. They will die without the internet. Or so they try to make you believe.

Thanks again and still listening to any suggestions.
vnvjeep
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 16:39    Post subject: Re: Speed tests v distance Reply with quote
IGotDT wrote:
OK, pulled the router out into the middle of the floor. Oh, thanks for the quick reply and help, it is really appreciated. It's usual home is in the entertainment center, yes. Not really hidden. TV and center channel speaker is about three feet above it. Subwoofer (wired) about 15 feet away. Six NAS, a NUC, modem, switch, WiiU, and a couple RPi's are also in the center. I did a couple tests though with the router on the floor, about 10 feet from the entertainment center. Five, ten, 15 feet no-go, 90-120 Mbps down and 0.09-0.18 Mbps up. After 15 feet I get a wall in the way and the up speed, surprisingly, jumps to 37. For shites & grins, I started the speed test in the living room and, at the half way point in the test, moved quickly to the other room. Result: puttered at 0.04 and sped up to a finish of 21.87.

Now, I know walls do not absorb radio on one side and amplify to the other side, but my experiment proved otherwise. And that radio really IS a black art.
As for settings and such. Antennas are straight up (it cracks me up when people distort them into various directions). I changed some settings for troubleshooting but, when they did not work, I put them back to the defaults.

Other devices (phones, computers) suffer no ill effects when tested the same way. This phone has great upload speeds at other AP's and routers at my work and various customers' routers, all non DD-WRT. I have walked up to the routers and done a test with expected results. I'm reluctant to reflash the router as putting the DHCP reservations and various port forwards is time consuming, but one day I may give that a go. When no family home, because, well... because teenagers. They will die without the internet. Or so they try to make you believe.

Thanks again and still listening to any suggestions.

I would suggest calling the Ghostbusters, because your livingroom is HAUNTED! Wink

I do believe you have too much equipment near your router though, which may end up causing issues down the road. I placed my router by itself, isolated in an upstairs bedroom near the center of our house to maximize coverage. No electrical equipment near it.

But why your signal sucks inside the room, but gets better as soon as you get past the wall, is a mystery to me. It does not make any logical sense. Usually it's the other way around. Hum.

arby80
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 13:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have the same issue. If I run a speed test in the same room as my router I have 70-80MBPS DL / .1MBPS UL. Up in my bedroom on the other end and floor of my house I get 10MBPS upload speed. If I set the 5GHZ to N only and disable AC I get 10MBPS. Also if I turn off WMM support while AC/Mixed is enabled my download speed is decreased to about 30MBPS but my upload speed is back up to 10MBPS.

It is really frustrating that I have to use restrictions that effect all of my other devices that work perfectly normal just for my Pixel Phone.
arby80
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 22:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
I installed the latest Kong build http://www.desipro.de/ddwrt/K3-AC-MVEBU/ and now everything is working correctly with my Pixel. I was running the standard DD-WRT build, thanks vnvjeep for posting your Router firmware build information that really helped troubleshoot knowing it worked for you!
Redlineskis
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
I know this post is fairly old, but I was having the exact issue and thought I would include what I did to solve this...

I have a Pixel 1 phone, my wife has a Pixel 2 phone. Both phones were always having problems uploading photos to our google photos accounts for backup, but when we were connected to other wifi sources we never had a problem. So I was able to narrow down the issue to my wifi router (which had DD WRT installed on it). I tried all the recommendations outlined but nothing seemed to be working until I re-installed the factory Linksys WRT1900AC image on the router. Once I did that everything started working normally. Not sure what it is about the DD-WRT software, but it was not playing nice with our Pixel phones.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.) All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: