RT-AC68U bricked when trying to overclock

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2  Next
ahagen
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 2:30    Post subject: RT-AC68U bricked when trying to overclock Reply with quote
It seems I have bricked my AC68U when trying to overclock. I was running DDWRT v3.0-r29621 std (05/10/16) and changed clock frequency on the Administrator page from 800 Mhz to 1000 Mhz. Then click Save, and then rebooted the router.

The router has been unresponsive since then, There is no WiFi and it does not respond to pings. I have gone through numerous 30-30-30 cycles to no avail.

I have attempted to restore to AUS firmware RT-AC68U_3.0.0.4_380_4164 using the ASUS Recovery tool. Although I reported recovery as successful, I still cannot access the router and also am no longer able to put it in recovery mode anymore.

Any last suggestions before putting the router in the bin?
Sponsor
gomfedj
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 2:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
If you have attemped to flash back down it sounds like you got the little asus recovery webpage to load?? if so from there did you try using the reset nvram button?? i tried to overclock mine with the command line doing 1000,800 and found out later certain CFE(s) do not like going about 666 memory clock speed.. 30/30/30 was not working for me, but using the clean nvram button on the asus recovery web page interface worked for me..

just an idea/suggestion (i am kinda a noob at this honestly)
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 2:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
Google serial recovery. All you need to do is nvram erase and reboot.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 0:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
Try resetting the nvram by powering off, hold down the WPS button, power on, and after 10 seconds release the WPS Button. IIRC a 30/30/30 resembles the procedure to put the Asus in firmware recovery.
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 0:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
I don't think it will let him get to that point.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 0:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
I don’t think its bricked.. I have one and had the same thing happened when I tried to overclock my Asus with dd-wrt. So here’s a few things to try that worked for me. Reset it again and give it a few minutes to stabilize. Then see if the router is accessible with Ethernet at the 192.168.29.1 address while setting your NIC to 192.168.29.2

If that don’t work see if 2.4 & 5 ghz band LEDS are up, if they are up browse your wireless networks and look for the dd-wrt SSID. Since you did a reset you don’t need a password to connect. Once connected wirelessly open the dd-wrt web admin page at 192.168.1.1 and navigate to dd-wrt factory reset. If you get this far after you reset give the router a chance to stabilize again. Then remove the 192.168.29.2 address from your wired NIC. Then connect your Ethernet and reboot the pc and see if you could get a dhcp address from the router via Ethernet. If you are good grab either Merlin’s firmware or Tomato and rename the *.trx file extension to *.bin and reflash the router.

I’m a huge dd-wrt fan but it was a complete mess on this router. If you could revive it do yourself a favor and use Merlin’s firmware or Tomato. If you want performance use Merlin’s firmware, if you want dd-wrt like features use Tomato. After I was finally able to access my router again I installed Advance Tomato, been up just over 11days. I’m running Tomato Firmware 1.28.0000 -3.4-138 K26ARM USB AIO-64K. I actually installed it twice because on the second flash I took the option to clear the nvram and it has been working flawlessly. Hopefully yours is not bricked, if all you did was overclock it you’re in the same situation as I was in and I was able to recover my Asus. Let us know how you make out.
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 0:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have an rt-ac68u and I've never had trouble installing and/or running dd-wrt on it.
It the cfe is crashing because of too high of an over clock, it happens before the cfe gets to the point of seeing the wps or reset button being pressed.
If you've ever had a serial cable on it while it's booting you'd see it checks the clock speed before recognizing the reset or wps button is pressed.

Last edited by Malachi on Tue Dec 20, 2016 1:18; edited 1 time in total
barryware
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 0:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
Malachi wrote:
I have an rt-ac68u and I've never had trouble installing and/or running dd-wrt on it.
It the cfe is crashing because of too high of an over clock, it happens before the cfe gets to the point of seeing the wps or reset button being pressed.
If you've ever had a serial cable on it while it's booting you'd see it checks the clock speed before recognizing the reset or wps button is pressed.

^^ This.. And, typically (not always if you are lucky).. The router crashes before serial is responsive. Might need jtag and even then, timing is critical..

Tiz the season.. My boggle.. What is the deal with "overclocking"? Nothing good ever happens.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 1:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
i would love to overclock my AC68U, simply to gain a bit more speed on VPN connections (when used). Also the processor is easily able to overclock to 1000mhz even 1200, or 1400mhz (depending on cooling.. these things run HOT)

dunno why some models of the ac68u have such trouble overclocking... in fact some are not able too in DD-WRT i believe due to some code in the script (according to some old message threads on here)
ahagen
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 8:06    Post subject: AC68U working again Reply with quote
I have been able to revive my AC68U. Smile

After a few attempts, I have been able to flash ASUS firmware on the router. It, unfortunately, I was not able assign DHCP addresses though and I could only access the router via static IP addresses.

I have then flashed DD-WRT again, which also was only accessible via static IP address.

I then went to the Administration page and changed click frequency from 800 to 1000 and clicked save (not apply) and then changed back from 1000 to 800 and clicked apply. After that DHCP was working again.
<Kong>
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 8:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
05dyna wrote:
I don’t think its bricked.. I have one and had the same thing happened when I tried to overclock my Asus with dd-wrt. So here’s a few things to try that worked for me. Reset it again and give it a few minutes to stabilize. Then see if the router is accessible with Ethernet at the 192.168.29.1 address while setting your NIC to 192.168.29.2

If that don’t work see if 2.4 & 5 ghz band LEDS are up, if they are up browse your wireless networks and look for the dd-wrt SSID. Since you did a reset you don’t need a password to connect. Once connected wirelessly open the dd-wrt web admin page at 192.168.1.1 and navigate to dd-wrt factory reset. If you get this far after you reset give the router a chance to stabilize again. Then remove the 192.168.29.2 address from your wired NIC. Then connect your Ethernet and reboot the pc and see if you could get a dhcp address from the router via Ethernet. If you are good grab either Merlin’s firmware or Tomato and rename the *.trx file extension to *.bin and reflash the router.

I’m a huge dd-wrt fan but it was a complete mess on this router. If you could revive it do yourself a favor and use Merlin’s firmware or Tomato. If you want performance use Merlin’s firmware, if you want dd-wrt like features use Tomato. After I was finally able to access my router again I installed Advance Tomato, been up just over 11days. I’m running Tomato Firmware 1.28.0000 -3.4-138 K26ARM USB AIO-64K. I actually installed it twice because on the second flash I took the option to clear the nvram and it has been working flawlessly. Hopefully yours is not bricked, if all you did was overclock it you’re in the same situation as I was in and I was able to recover my Asus. Let us know how you make out.

If you tell anybody to use tomato on the 68U you should also warn them about the fact, that flashing tomato on the AC68U C1 will brick their unit:-)

https://bitbucket.org/pl_shibby/tomato-arm/issues/55/bootloop-for-asus-rt-ac68u-hardware-rev-c1

Anyways, overclocking is disabled in my builds for good reason, a lot of units won't even make the step from 800-1000 while they boot and look ok to the regular user, they won't run stable.

I also do not recommend asus units, as they do not get the same attention from the devs as netgear units.

DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 8:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
gomfedj wrote:
i would love to overclock my AC68U, simply to gain a bit more speed on VPN connections (when used). Also the processor is easily able to overclock to 1000mhz even 1200, or 1400mhz (depending on cooling.. these things run HOT)

That is complete nonsense, I had dozens of people reporting bugs that were the result of their overclocking some of them just raised the clock from 800 to 1000.

I also wrote a little test tool that can bench these routers and I have not seen any router that passes a test when raised from a default clk 800 to 1200 or default clk 1000 to 1400.

Thus I removed this feature from my builds as it just introduces hard to find errors that people report as bugs, because people like you make these claims.

DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 15:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
Overclocking from the GUI for me was more finicky than doing it through commands tab, saving as a startup command. My AC68U would become unresponsive just like the OP's doing it through the drop down list.

nvram set clkfreq=1000,800
nvram commit

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 16:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
<Kong> wrote:
05dyna wrote:

If you tell anybody to use tomato on the 68U you should also warn them about the fact, that flashing tomato on the AC68U C1 will brick their unit:-)

https://bitbucket.org/pl_shibby/tomato-arm/issues/55/bootloop-for-asus-rt-ac68u-hardware-rev-c1

Anyways, overclocking is disabled in my builds for good reason, a lot of units won't even make the step from 800-1000 while they boot and look ok to the regular user, they won't run stable.

I also do not recommend asus units, as they do not get the same attention from the devs as netgear units.

Great point! I seen that when I was getting ready to flash my unit but didn't see any Rev # on my unit so I was good to go. In any case I have the Asus T-Mobile Cellspot that I converted to the Asus RT-AC68U with the CFE overwrite. I figured the OP seen the Rev# notation as well but perhaps not, only the OP could tell us that...

Again my original plan was to run dd-wrt on it but dd-wrt did not play nice with it regardless if it was overclocked or not. Now that I owned it I decided to give Tomato a test since I never tried Tomato. Tomato is working great, wifi is coverage is excellent. The wireless coverage is just as good as my wrt1900acs running your builds. Looks like about 1500 + other people had the same idea http://anon.groov.pl/index.php?model=Asus+RT-AC68R%2FU

Kong if you’re not a fan of the Asus units maybe the dd-wrt wiki should be updated to reflect that because it gives the impression you’re supporting the Asus RT-AC68U, take a look under the verified firmware section.

https://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Asus_T-Mobile_Cellspot

As far as over clocking I use the D-Link DIR868L as a dedicated VPN because we don’t need a whole house VPN. The D-Link WAN port is connected to my main router LAN port’s primary router. Since I’ve never be able to achieve full advertised ISP speeds from my VPN service (no matter what configuration I’ve tried) I over clocked my D-Link thinking that might improve the D/L speed but only received a slight bump in D/L speed. So I just left it OC’ed and it hasn't had any problems running at 1000 mhz. For the record I’m getting our ISP's full U/L speeds on the VPN.

I powered off the D-Link yesterday to relocate some other nearby devices so that’s the reason for the low uptime reporting. it could stay up for months if left alone and if there are no issues with the VPN service or the main router itself.

Thanks for your work on the other units you do support, I never had any issues with your builds.
<Kong>
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 17:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
05dyna wrote:

Again my original plan was to run dd-wrt on it but dd-wrt did not play nice with it regardless if it was overclocked or not. Now that I owned it I decided to give Tomato a test since I never tried Tomato. Tomato is working great, wifi is coverage is excellent. The wireless coverage is just as good as my wrt1900acs running your builds. Looks like about 1500 + other people had the same idea http://anon.groov.pl/index.php?model=Asus+RT-AC68R%2FU

Tomato should be working on the AC68U as their are using the kernel from asus:-)

1500+, LOL.

I gave up doing download stats after calculating that I have 500 000+ users. I have so many downloads lately, that the site sometimes can't be reached and I'll soon have to move them to a dedicated server that will also have space for old releases.

Quote:

Kong if you’re not a fan of the Asus units maybe the dd-wrt wiki should be updated to reflect that because it gives the impression you’re supporting the Asus RT-AC68U, take a look under the verified firmware section.

I does not have anything to do with being a fan of something or not, it is simply the fact, that I only have linksys or netgear units and BS is not as accurate when it comes to testing all aspects of a unit. Thus I can fix general bugs, if I can reproduce them on my units, but I can't fix unit specific bugs and if you look at asus units, there are quite a few bugs around, that would be fixed in a few minutes e.g. non working leds.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: