Netgear WNR 2000 version 5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
slow_speed
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 22:06    Post subject: Netgear WNR 2000 version 5 Reply with quote
Does anyone know where to get the firmware upgrade for this model router? It uses the Qualcomm Atheros QCA9531 cpu.

Thanks
Sponsor
jwoods
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 4:15    Post subject: Re: Netgear WNR 2000 version 5 Reply with quote
slow_speed wrote:
Does anyone know where to get the firmware upgrade for this model router? It uses the Qualcomm Atheros QCA9531 cpu.

Thanks

According to the Supported Devices page, version 3 is the most current build.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Supported_Devices#Netgear
slow_speed
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 13:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
I saw that. However, perhaps someone knows of another solution.
LaineyBugsDaddy
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 17:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
I realize this topic is old, but can anyone confirm that the dd-wrt firmware version for the v3 works on the v5? I'm trying to set up no-ip ddns login on the stock firmware, and it just chokes, I think because no-ip.com has switched to just noip.com and they never updated after that switchover.

EDIT: I just saw on the install guide for the v3 that the hardware is different. Is there a modified build for the current hardware?
slow_speed
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 18:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
As you see, that is the question to which I was hoping to find an answer. I do not hold out much hope, however.
LaineyBugsDaddy
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 0:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
From what I can find, Even open-wrt hasn't had success with v5 hardware yet. Something about magic numbers in two places that if not put in right brick the device. Oddly enough, despite the custom Netgear internal webpage interface, according to the Open-wrt folks, the v5 is already running a version of openwrt, which makes things at least hopeful. Regardless, unless someone pops up with the solution within a week or so, it looks like I'll be getting the parts and equipment to un-brick my Rosewill router sooner rather than later, so that I can get my No-IP stuff going again for my dev web server.
slow_speed
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 21:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
I could find no firmware available for version 5 at any of the various providers of this sort of software. I just bit the bullet and found a WNDR3800 for $25 from eBay and install Gargoyle on it.

Now, if I can just figure out how to set up quotas.......
LaineyBugsDaddy
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 18:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
For me, I can get parts to unbrick my Rosewill router cheaper, so that's what I'll likely do. I really don't like how limited the interface on the Netgear is. It will do for now, but I am going to get the router I like back up and running. And hopefully someone here will figure out how to make a version of dd-wrt that lets the activity lights work.
slow_speed
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 19:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm confused. If your router is bricked, how do you expect to get it working? Also, I don't see the the Rosewill is rated very highly for this sort of thing in the first place.
LaineyBugsDaddy
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 22:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well, it's only partially bricked. The switch ports still work. And there is a serial header on the board. I just have to add pins and bridge two contacts on the board to make it usable. Then I need a level changing serial cable, as this interface uses 3.3V vcc and standard RS-232 serial uses different voltage. I'm told a USB UART cable will work for this. Once I have that all set up, I have to use a terminal emulator to interrupt the boot loader and place the device in recovery mode. Then I can flash new firmware via TFTP.
slow_speed
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 14:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
Is it worth it?
LaineyBugsDaddy
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 15:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well, I can get the parts for rather cheaply, and the experience would stand me in good stead for if I ever need to unbrick another device in a similar state or if I need to restore a Cisco device because some yutz misread the directions for resetting to factory defaults via the console and nuked the entire flash instead of just the startup config.
slow_speed
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 16:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
I hear you. I hope it works out for you. Good luck.
silekonn
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
Necro. It is ALIVE. OpenWRT cracked this one. Maybe DD-WRT can learn what they need from the thread to add this in 'official?' I know it is old and priorities and all. With the information present maybe it is easy. Here is the progress: https://github.com/lede-project/source/pull/1256 . Please let us know if there is anything useful. This is a popular router due to its lifetime warranty. Thanks in advance.
LaineyBugsDaddy
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
Link please? (I mean other than the Github one.) I can't find this news there.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: