DIY Repeater for XFINITY WiFi Hotspots using DD-WRT

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Hardware DIY / Hardware Mods
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
asdasd
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 3:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hello. Would this work if I had to log into the wifi?
Sponsor
JNewtonAV
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 20:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
asdasd wrote:
Hello. Would this work if I had to log into the wifi?

Yes, the idea is to pre authenticate your Mac address so that when your device connects it won't have to log in
JNewtonAV
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 20:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
Having an issue again. When I log on to the router it appears that I keep losing my WAN IP. When I do a site survey and see different xfinity hot spots and their unique mac address, they're almost constantly changing, and this must be why I keep losing connection. I can connect to whichever hotspot is the best and the internet will work great but an hour later it will be a different list with different mac addresses. Anyone have any idea why this would be?
847AV
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 6:33    Post subject: I have a Netgear R6300 V2 with DD-WRT - Help with set up Reply with quote
Can you guys outline how you got the log in page to load.
Or what settings you did in the DD-WRT set up in the repeater....
I cant get mine to work
seanvree
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 23:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
this is great.

So, what if I wanted to use this method as my "backup-up" wifi in case my primary gateway went down. I would have to do all the initial instructions in reverse, correct? there would be no way to run a script or something, no?
cousinabe
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 2:52    Post subject: Re: xfinity Reply with quote
fuzmik wrote:
Here is my setup with comcast xfinity.

Setting up router1 to hotspot was easy thanks to everyone in this thread. Took me less than a week for trial and error for setting up router 2.

The most trouble I had preparing this is SSID conflicts and utilizing router2 with router1 to wirelessly broadcast a network in my house. For router1, I set the SSID similar to hotspot. Then, I also set the same SSID on router2. This cause an issue of many thing. Until I said fuck it, and change SSID on router2 to whatever other than the hotspot(SSID). And it work! I got dual bands to broadcast.

How to connect a ddwrt router1(ClIENT MODE) to hotspot?
1. 30 30 30 reset.
2. use a cloned mac address that has been used to authenticate in ddwrt setting.
3. site survey and join the hotspot.
4. save and apply. leave wireless settings as it is.
5. install autoap on router1. (Search the forums)
6. plug ethernet cable to router1 and check if it works. done.
7. set router 2 as AP just as directed in ddwrt wikilinks.
8. That's it.

The downside is, I suffer -5m download speed compare to connecting to the hotspot directly, which is 15/3. Anyone know how to or where to even begin to troubleshoot the speed issue?

I am having the same issues with download speeds. Did you get this sorted?
Other than that everything works!
DoubleDD
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 2:34    Post subject: Re: xfinity Reply with quote
cousinabe wrote:
fuzmik wrote:
Here is my setup with comcast xfinity.

Setting up router1 to hotspot was easy thanks to everyone in this thread. Took me less than a week for trial and error for setting up router 2.

The most trouble I had preparing this is SSID conflicts and utilizing router2 with router1 to wirelessly broadcast a network in my house. For router1, I set the SSID similar to hotspot. Then, I also set the same SSID on router2. This cause an issue of many thing. Until I said fuck it, and change SSID on router2 to whatever other than the hotspot(SSID). And it work! I got dual bands to broadcast.

How to connect a ddwrt router1(ClIENT MODE) to hotspot?
1. 30 30 30 reset.
2. use a cloned mac address that has been used to authenticate in ddwrt setting.
3. site survey and join the hotspot.
4. save and apply. leave wireless settings as it is.
5. install autoap on router1. (Search the forums)
6. plug ethernet cable to router1 and check if it works. done.
7. set router 2 as AP just as directed in ddwrt wikilinks.
8. That's it.

The downside is, I suffer -5m download speed compare to connecting to the hotspot directly, which is 15/3. Anyone know how to or where to even begin to troubleshoot the speed issue?

I am having the same issues with download speeds. Did you get this sorted?
Other than that everything works!

I'm just out of range of my local xfinity hotspot. Thinking I can setup a repeater using dd-wrt bridge router connecting to the xfinity hotspot and rebroadcasting to my local router. Is this possible?
Would I set both my interfaces SSID "xfinitywifi" on my bridge router?

benraymond
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 23:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
So, I am trying to copy Fuzmik

I can get the Router one to work fine, it's hooked up to several wired connections, and seems reasonably fast

But the router two seems to not get me a signal

I put it AP mode -

The gateway/local DNS I am setting to router 1's IP address - is this correct? Or should I try to put in the Comcast address?

Also, do I need to clone the MAC address on router 2? Can I use the same cloned address as one or do I need to authenticate another address?

Any help greatly appreciated
meow4231
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 3:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
If you use an R7000, I've noticed that repeating xfinitywifi works perfectly on Kong build R29300. This is great, however, I get the WAN IP 0.0.0.0 on newer builds, regardless of DNS settings/MAC spoofing and can't seem to connect to any xfinitywifi hotspots.

These newer builds that can't repeat xfinitywifi hotspots don't have any problems repeating my other consumer routers though.
a2gtinut
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 13:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
After few tries I got wrt54g to work as Optimum repeater but D/U speeds max out around 4Mbs. I understand that bandwidth is reduced since it is single band radio but this is drastic speed reduction.
Anything than can be done to this?
I installed oversized heatsink on Broadcom chip to make it better, and will try to do mild overclock.
Auditory
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 12:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
I am using Client Bridge mode with Xfinity Wi-Fi hotspot. I prefer to keep my Linksys DD-WRT device hardwired into my MacBook Pro's Ethernet port.

I am having an issue when attempting to use my Linksys router with DD-WRT firmware installed in Client Bridge mode to connect with an Xfinity Wi-Fi hotspot. For some reason, my computer will not connect to the Internet. Therefore, I cannot be connected to the Xfinity Wi-Fi hotspot's login page. I also attempted to clone my computer's Mac Address in order to bypass the login.

I am use a MacBook pro running OS X 10.7.5 Lion.

Linksys Wireless -G WRT54G V 8.2

DD-WRT Firmware: DD-WRT v24-sp2.

Without the WRT54G, my Macintosh connects to the Xfinity Wi-Fi hotpot without fail. The signal however, is weak. I can also use an external wi-fi card (via the computer's Ethernet port), a Macsense Connectivity WUA-800 AeroCard Mini. This device also connects to the Xfinity WiFi hotspot without a difficulty.

It might be the i.p. address I am entering into DD-WRT.

The Client Bridge mode works perfectly when connected to my home network.

After using my MacBook Pro's internal wifi card to successfully log in to the Xfinity WiFi hotspot using my Xfinity account credentials, I cloned the MAC Address of my laptop and placed that number into DD-WRT MAC Address clone page. Still no go.

My MacBook Pro keeps self-assigning an i.p. address in the 169.xxx.xxx.xxx range instead of detecting the Xfinity WiFi's i.p. address, Subnet Mask and Router address.

For the two Xfinity WiFi hotspots I tried to connect to, the Router Address and Subnet Mask are always the same. Only the i.p. address changes but it still seems to always be in the 10.2xx.xxx.xxx to 10.3.xx.xxx.xxx range.

Any help would be appreciated.
phbryan
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 22:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
I followed the steps for connecting my WRT54G v6 to optimumwifi and repeating it. It works, but incredibly slow. The wifi signal is strong, and gives no issues when connected directly, and if it was a login issue with optimum then i wouldn't get any connection. But the speed is just awful. I feel like im using an old dial-up connection. Any suggestions of what might be wrong?
Trizzle
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 22:15    Post subject: Xfinitywifi and DD-WRT Reply with quote
AutoAP script where the SSID is blank type Xfinitywifi and it should allow autoconnect to any Mac address that's closest first. I have been using it on multiple DD-wrt flashed routers with the autoAP script and repeater mode with virtual access point passworded and all works well. Next, has anyone static IP'd it and try this in a moving car now? XD
crazyflx
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 12:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
Registered specifically to say thanks!!!

This worked beautifully. Details of my setup/configuration:

There was no need to get fancy with additional antennas or anything of that nature for me. At the property I was setting this up on, I have a "4 bar signal" for xfinity on my laptop & phone, but only when I set them on the windowsill of the bay window at the front of the house. Everywhere else in the house the signal is either non-existent or it's 1 bar and it frequently drops out.

So obviously I wanted to grab that signal at it's peak strength (windowsill) and repeat it into my house...so I went googling and found this.

I had this up and running (and am posting this using the setup Wink ) within 40 minutes...that includes: driving to the store to get a new router, flashing the router with DD wrt and then following the instructions from the OP. I should note that I only needed to follow the instructions from setting up a universal repeater that the OP posted a link to here: http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Universal_Wireless_Repeater as the other steps weren't really necessary for me.

More specifically:

Router: Linksys E1200v2 ($30 at Target)
ISP: xfinity (so linking it up to an xfinity hotspot)

Followed steps 1 through 4 (no other steps necessary) from this page: http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Universal_Wireless_Repeater

Once that was all finished, I moved the router to the windowsill of the house & plugged it in. I then used my laptop to connect to the SSID I set for the new router. I then manually visited the Xfinity WiFi Hotspot login URL on the laptop to authenticate the router. Since the MAC address that is getting authenticated is the MAC of the router, not that of any device connected to it, you only have to do this once with the first device that you connect to the web with through the router.

NO MAC SPOOFING WAS NECESSARY.

This was about the easiest project ever and I've not only got 15mbps speeds throughout the entirety of the house now, but it cost me less than even 1 month of service to xfinity.

Thanks again!!!
vik748
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 4:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
Auditory wrote:
I am using Client Bridge mode with Xfinity Wi-Fi hotspot. I prefer to keep my Linksys DD-WRT device hardwired into my MacBook Pro's Ethernet port.

I am having an issue when attempting to use my Linksys router with DD-WRT firmware installed in Client Bridge mode to connect with an Xfinity Wi-Fi hotspot. For some reason, my computer will not connect to the Internet. Therefore, I cannot be connected to the Xfinity Wi-Fi hotspot's login page. I also attempted to clone my computer's Mac Address in order to bypass the login.

I am use a MacBook pro running OS X 10.7.5 Lion.

Linksys Wireless -G WRT54G V 8.2

DD-WRT Firmware: DD-WRT v24-sp2.

Without the WRT54G, my Macintosh connects to the Xfinity Wi-Fi hotpot without fail. The signal however, is weak. I can also use an external wi-fi card (via the computer's Ethernet port), a Macsense Connectivity WUA-800 AeroCard Mini. This device also connects to the Xfinity WiFi hotspot without a difficulty.

It might be the i.p. address I am entering into DD-WRT.

The Client Bridge mode works perfectly when connected to my home network.

After using my MacBook Pro's internal wifi card to successfully log in to the Xfinity WiFi hotspot using my Xfinity account credentials, I cloned the MAC Address of my laptop and placed that number into DD-WRT MAC Address clone page. Still no go.

My MacBook Pro keeps self-assigning an i.p. address in the 169.xxx.xxx.xxx range instead of detecting the Xfinity WiFi's i.p. address, Subnet Mask and Router address.

For the two Xfinity WiFi hotspots I tried to connect to, the Router Address and Subnet Mask are always the same. Only the i.p. address changes but it still seems to always be in the 10.2xx.xxx.xxx to 10.3.xx.xxx.xxx range.

Any help would be appreciated.

Auditory, not getting an IP address seems to be an issue with your LAN configuration. Make sure that DHCP is turned on and you are able to connect to the router from your mac. The MACBook will get a local IP from the router's DHCP and not the Xfinity public IP.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 3 of 4
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Hardware DIY / Hardware Mods All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: