Router no longer working after applying firmware update

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
LaineyBugsDaddy
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 16:59    Post subject: Router no longer working after applying firmware update Reply with quote
I'm not sure if this is the right forum for this, but I don't think it's specific to my hardware. I just updated the dd-wrt firmware on my RNX-N300RT, which is a Rosewill rebranded TP-Link device. I used the webflash image for the TP-Link device that the dd-wrt firmware identified as, and now the wifi does not work and I cannot get the router to route traffic. I was hoping that the file I used was newer, as the original firmware I flashed to disabled the activity lights on the ethernet ports on the switch portion of the router. I did not have the flash process reset the router to defaults, so everything supposedly should have stayed the same when the router rebooted. Nonetheless, it is only working for me as a switch, and I had to connect a PC directly to the cable modem to be posting here. I tried what I could remember of the way to reset the router to default settings from the last time I locked myself out of it, but nothing is working. If this is hardware specific, please feel free to move the topic to the necessary forum, of course, and any help is greatly appreciated. My only idea right now is to set up a DHCP server on one of my machines, and connect it to the WAN port of the router to see if I can access it that way.
Sponsor
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 22:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
You should have used the files specifically for your router. ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/2016/11-14-2016-r30880/rosewill-rnx-n300rt/

If you want to fix it you will probably have to try serial recovery.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 0:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
That would require there being a serial port on the router to begin with. Far as I know, there isn't one. Unless there's one on the board and I have to open up the box to get to it.
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 0:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yes, it requires opening the router up.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 2:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well, I opened it up. Care to tell me where on this thing that there is anything that might be a serial header I can use for recovery?
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 10:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
The 4 holes the the left of the cpu. The leftmost hole filled with solder.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 14:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well, that doesn't look promising. I was suspecting that when I looked it over at first, but that means I have to figure out how to rig a connection myself. Wish they would have just put a small jack there for whatever serial connection they want. I don't suppose anyone knows what sort of serial connection this is supposed to be (USB, or Cisco style console cable, or what)?
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 15:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
Google dd-wrt serial recovery.
I even say there what type of adapter to get. Also please make the picture smaller.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 16:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
Oddly enough, I had already done that when I saw you had replied. I suspect it was cheaper for me to do what I did and just buy a replacement router for under US$30. I'll be starting a new topic about that router soon, as it is a model technically supported by dd-wrt, but it's revision 5 and official support for the model is only up to revision 3.
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 17:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
You can get the serial adapters for under $5 on eBay. I have 3 or 4 on hand. Never hurts to have them.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 17:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well, even so, speed was of the essence. I do IT freelancing for a living and I can't afford to not have wifi at home for an extended period of time, or I'll miss possible assignments I could pick up on Work Market and Onforce.
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 17:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
My point is, still get some. Chances are you'll need them on the new router. You can still fix the old one and have it ready for when you brick the new one.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 18:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
If I brick the new one. I'll be more careful going forward. Looks like the reason this one bricked (albeit partially, the switch function still worked) was that it's brand locked to its rebranding as a Rosewill.
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 18:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ok, well I'm done trying to help.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 18:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
You've been a great help. And I'll likely get the items I need to do a serial recovery of the Rosewill. Just not right now. I have a working router and I have other things more important to do than unbrick the old router at this time. I do appreciate the help you did give.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: