WHR-HP-G54 Flag 0x3758 instead of 0x2758/0x1758 ???

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
MichelG
DD-WRT Guru

Location: Galati - RO / Kishinev - MD / Geneva - CH / Tarragona - E

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 18:31    Post subject: Which firmware version Reply with quote
...are you using for your tests ? Please, give details.

Thanks, Michel.

All Senao EOC-2610 V1.10 Std 15362 BS
1x UBNT Bullet 2 - RP 18dB Panel - 11Mbps - 13Km link
Sponsor
GeeTek
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 18:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
WTS wrote:
INCREDIBLE, I CANT BELIEVE THIS:

I just tested the Buffalo WHR-HP-G54 flag 0x2758 with my Praxym VSWR tester and it this what i just got, im really excited, i havent done every test yet, im just making a fast review.

After hundreds of posts about people guessing at the power, you are the only person to finally hook one up to a meter. Thank you ! Mil Gracias ! I think the board flags are only for the receive pre-amp, so board flag 0x1758 should also transmit the same amount. I am interested to find out more about your tests ! Very Happy

http://69.175.13.131:8015 Streaming Week-End Disco. Station Ripper V 1.1 will do.
WTS
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 19:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
A Praxsym VSWR meter (check at google)

Here i made a video at youtube.com

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WvAYgs2Wncw
MichelG
DD-WRT Guru

Location: Galati - RO / Kishinev - MD / Geneva - CH / Tarragona - E

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 20:26    Post subject: GREAT VIDEO !!! Reply with quote
Hi WTS, many thanks for the video. It would be very nice, if you had time to proceed with some more tests, changing the firmware version. SP1, SP2, SP3, and V24 Beta and RC1. We will all know what is realy happening when we do change the power output.

If you had the chance to proceed with that, it would be fantastic for our community.

Respects, Michel.

All Senao EOC-2610 V1.10 Std 15362 BS
1x UBNT Bullet 2 - RP 18dB Panel - 11Mbps - 13Km link
WTS
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 21:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi Michel,

I had to do this test some months ago, but i was full of work and to be honest i was a little lazy, but finally we really know the power of this cheap unit, but... i dont know noise levels, i just can check VSWR and Power in dBm, by the way the antenna im using is a 4 holes Trevor Marshall (Rob Clark hole modifications) i manufacture myself with an excellent VSWR, this is in case someone is interested, my company manufacture 8 Holes and 8+8 Holes for a Omnidirecciontal Horizontal Polarization radiation, they are incredible good, i have made 12 km with buffalos HP using a 24 dBi Grid antenna in the client side, with around 5.5 Mbits (WIFI), 2.5 Mbits real world.

Today i have made another test, i used 0x1758 and 0x3758 flag without any changes at RX levels, so i think as many of you said, flags just turn on/of RX amplifier.

I will try these days other combinations in more exactly Xmit power, for example, 1,2,3,4,5....mw. Something is sure i cant test after 45 mw, due Exceed Range Tester Error, so again if someone can spend just $15 and find a -20dB N Male to N Female 2.4Ghz attenuator, would be really helpfull, send me a private to give you my address in Venezuela, shippings to Venezuela should to be around $20, i have a Box in miami but it would late around 2 weeks in get here. If there is nobody to spend $35 to know exactly the power transmision i would tell you i spent $1600 in my tester and im not asking you any money to help the community.

Yours
WTS
BrainSlayer
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 22:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
GeeTek wrote:
Thanks christoph, you translated "if using the command wl txpwr1 without "-o" tx powers maximum level is 100mW, independent of any other commands "
Transmit power conrol is something I have not heard of yet. txpwr1 is something I would like to find out more about.

Also from that thread is
"Boardflags original 0x1758
"wl noise" = -92db

Boardflags = 0x2758
"wl noise" = -83db !!

Boardflag = 0x3758
"wl noise" = -92db

Im DD-WRT-Wiki wird empfohlen für den HP von 0x1578 auf 0x2578 zu ändern.
Das ist definitiv falsch . Wenn schon dann auf 0x3578 !!
Denn mit der Änderung von 1 auf 2 würde ein vorhandene Rx-Vorverstärker abgeschaltet. "

This looks like the pre-amp control. I think only 0x1758 and 0x2758 are valid settings. 0x3758 or 0x1758, or any other setting, is not the valid 0x2758 setting for pre-amp "ON", so anything else, like 0x3758 is pre-amp off. I have 6 new HP radios in the box and 9 regular buffaloes in the box. If anybody can think of some testing, I will be happy to do what I can. I will test the 0x3758 boardflag on the HP and see if I can see anything different from the other 2 settings.

some additiona infos for you. the -o parameter will not work anymore. broadcom removed the override support. the real maximum output power is defined by the nvram var pa0txpwr. this is what the driver checks. dd-wrt does adjust this variable per default to 251 but that does not guarantee that it will allow the full power, since the chipset itself can be limited as well

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 23:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks for the update BrainSlayer. This info will save us the trouble of trying to use those commands. This must be part of the new power control that you have in SP2 and Ver 24 that is different from SP1. You are saying also that the newer firmware has all the power control right in the menu, and there is nothing extra to get by messing with the commands. It will be good to see the results of WTs's tests. Thanks again.
http://69.175.13.131:8015 Streaming Week-End Disco. Station Ripper V 1.1 will do.
billbahamas
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 1:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
With all you super engineering types I"m still confused. With v24 in the WHR-HP-G54 what can I run the tx output at safely and what is the true output in mWs. And what about the whr-g125? Maybe I don't need an amp. GeeTek what happened in your tower test? Thanks
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 2:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
billbahamas wrote:
GeeTek what happened in your tower test? Thanks

That is an excellent question ! I'm trying to remember...

wts wrote:
this is in case someone is interested, my company manufacture 8 Holes and 8+8 Holes for a Omnidirecciontal Horizontal Polarization radiation, they are incredible good

Do you have a website with more information about your antennas ?

WTS
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 3:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
Actually i just sell locally in Venezuela, but im almost to complete a trade with a company in California to distributing in USA, price are really cheap and you can see VSWR quality in the video, for example price here in Venezuela for a 8 holes 17 dBi antenna (180°) is just $64, of course maybe could be higher with shippings i dont know how much yet but i will find out, the 8+8 17 dBi (360°) is just $106. They are horizontal polarized, this has 20 dB against interferences in other polarizations, its means as Trevor Marshall says, you can use near channel near to vertical polarized networks.

By the way, anyone know the RX power amplifier of the WHR-HP-G54 ?. I was thinking it is 84 mw, due Buffalo says in its website Buffalo is 84 mw HP output, this is not true, with that amplifier power it is impossible to output so little power, so i assume 84 mw is the RX power. Usually 1 watt amplifiers have 100 mw rx reception.

Any help about this ?.

WTS
tkoyn
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 4:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
WTS wrote:
INCREDIBLE, I CANT BELIEVE THIS:

I just tested the Buffalo WHR-HP-G54 flag 0x2758 with my Praxsym VSWR tester and it this what i just got, im really excited, i havent done every test yet, im just making a fast review.

at Xmit 28 mw = 18.5 dBm
at Xmit 35 mw = 20 dBm
at Xmit 45 mw = 30.5 dBm (Almost exceed the range of my tester 1 watt)
at Xmit 50 mw = Range Exceed, it means more than 1 watts
Cool! Someone finally got the buffalo WHR-G54-HP on a power meter!

Now, I am curious, which version of the firmware were you running? Is your chart for v23 where people were worrying about blowing their buffalos over 10mw?

With DD-WRT v 24beta builds from about April to 6/20 build that I am on now, I find that to get fastest throughput throughout my house for file sharing among my computers, I need to set my WHR-G54-HP transmit to 80mw, by empircal experimentation. (60 does almost as well and no benefit over 80, which would probably just send my network to more neighbors.) I am curious, how many milliwatts I am really putting out?
GeeTek
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 5:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
WTS wrote:
By the way, anyone know the RX power amplifier of the WHR-HP-G54 ?. I was thinking it is 84 mw, due Buffalo says in its website Buffalo is 84 mw HP output, this is not true, with that amplifier power it is impossible to output so little power, so i assume 84 mw is the RX power. Usually 1 watt amplifiers have 100 mw rx reception.

Any help about this ?.

WTS

Well WTS, I hate to say this. You were doing so well there for a minute ! Laughing Anyway, receivers are not rated by power or output in mw. They are rated by how sensitive they are. The scale used to measure receiver sensitivity is the decibel scale, and the reference point is 1 milli-volt. Zero DBmv is one millivolt. The more sensitive the receiver is, the further below Zero DBmv the number will be. You probably knew this already and it is the terminology that had you ladeado. The receive specification is usually given for a specific data rate. Higher data rates require more power. The Buffalo HP has an extra pre-amp that other radios do not have, and it is much more sensitive than most radios. The 84 mw that Buffalo mentions is what they claim for transmit power, even though it puts out 316 mW with the factory firmware. Buffalo does not show the scale of RX sensitivity so I am attaching the scale for a D-Link 2100 AP radio. The HP Buffalo is approximately 10 dB better than this D-Link radio.

sens.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  45.88 KB
 Viewed:  16049 Time(s)

sens.jpg

WTS
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 19:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks for you post GeeTek, however amplifiers always talk about receiver gain of 15dB or 20 dB, maybe you could talk about this, i think receiver sensibility can be upgraded by a RX reception amplifier or not ?, comments about this are welcome. (hyperlinktech.com, has amplifiers with RX dB reception gain)

To the other member, i used V23 SP2 i try later V24 to check any difference, but think they are the same at power control config.

With my test i could check more than 45 mw, gives more than 31 dBm, if you check as i said the amplifier chip specification it says maximum output of 31 dBm, so maybe that is the top of our Buffalo HP, about noise i have check in long range links, my best was around 14 miles, using 83 mw gave the better RSSI, but the worst Noise, my best config for long range link was Xmit Power at 50 or 60 mw. Its not the same outdoor than indoor, but remember that 30 dBm to indoor configs are not sure for people health.

Yours,
Claudio Carrazana
WTS
GeeTek
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 22:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
The RX pre-amp in the HP buffalo can be turned on and off. The difference in RX signal is about 12 dB. If you use an external amplifier that also has a pre-amp you need to turn off the pre-amp in the buffalo or it will not work propery. The 2 pre-amps together will flood the front end of the receiver and make it mess up. Check the wi-ki about the board flag settings, or I can tell you more about how to turn it on and off.
billbahamas
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 1:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
GeeTek wrote:
The RX pre-amp in the HP buffalo can be turned on and off. The difference in RX signal is about 12 dB. If you use an external amplifier that also has a pre-amp you need to turn off the pre-amp in the buffalo or it will not work propery. The 2 pre-amps together will flood the front end of the receiver and make it mess up. Check the wi-ki about the board flag settings, or I can tell you more about how to turn it on and off.

Does that extend to the WHR-G125?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: