WRT3200ACM??

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 197, 198, 199  Next
cguilford
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 23:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
I was able to get back to stock thanks to some awesome help on the forum. If you pm me I would be happy to help.

cani1989 wrote:
I'm trying to revert back to factory firmware.

1) I started out by installing ExpressVPN and decided to go back to original firmware, which I downloaded from here: http://www.linksys.com/dk/support-article?articleNum=207552
This keep giving me this error: "413 Request Entity Too Large"

413 Request Entity Too Large

2) I contacted ExpressVPN support and they ended up telling me this is a bug due to the file size of the Linksys firmware.

3) I try to install DD-WRT which upgrades nicely. From here I then try and restore to the original firmware from Linksys. After the upgrade it appears to be back in ExpressVPN!?!

4) I contact Linksys support and basically the guy is the least helpful I've ever talked to. Just keeps saying DD-WRT is out of support and so on. Finally after a long back and forth where I explain them that this issue is not related to an issue with DD-WRT, but rather the file size. It wouldn't matter what third-party firmware I was using. Finally, I am now waiting for their "assurance team" to take a look, which I guess is some kind of extended support.

The issue to me seems to be the size of the Linksys firmware and I can't find any previous version that might be smaller. Any ideas how to fix this issue?
Sponsor
leewalk
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 3:45    Post subject: Re: WRT3200 WiFi "dropouts" Reply with quote
skloetzer wrote:

BUT: I also get intermittent Wifi problems. Every now and then it just stops working. The SSID still gets broadcasted and I can connect to both networks at all times but no packets will go through. Power-cycling/rebooting the router brings everything back to normal

Same here on 30771.

Lee
skloetzer
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 13:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
Another small update here, still running 30796 on the WRT3200.

I disabled ath2 ("Wireless" -> "Basic settings" -> "Wireless Physical Interface ath2" -> "Wireless Network Mode" - "Disabled")

So far, I have not experienced any more dropouts as described earlier. Bear in mind that in my case I did not have to reboot to relieve the symptoms, even waiting seemed to help. I can't say whether it might have dropped out in the middle of the night, but since I'm on holiday and basically at home all day I think I should have noticed any dropout during the day, I leave Airplay streaming continuously to immediately notice it.

Maybe this can be a workaround, would to love to hear about your success with it. As BS said in some other post, by now ath2 support is rudimentary at best and as elvisimprsntr pointed out earlier, ath1 and ath2 seem to share the same MAC address. Although I have no insight into the Wifi driver I suspect some collision/overflow problems here...just my thoughts from observation!
cguilford
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 14:26    Post subject: Going back to Stock Reply with quote
These instructions where provided to me, so use at your own risk, but they work perfectly. It's designed for the WRT1900, but the steps for the wrt3200 are exactly the same. The pinout and location is the same, you only need to remove the front two screws to take the blue face off, no need to remove all 4 screws.
https://github.com/Chadster766/McWRT/wiki/Flashing-Firmware-using-a-USB-to-TTL-Cable

Be sure to check the entire article out for steps and software configuration information for Putty and TFTP. I was up and running in under 30 minutes.

ALSO TTL Cable pinout
Red - 5v
Black - Ground
Green - Tx
White - Rx
skloetzer
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 9:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yesterday I got two new 802.11c devices (iPhone 7 / Apple TV 4, yes quite the fan boy Rolling Eyes ) and I had some trouble connecting those to the router. Apple TV would connect to the 5 GHz network, proper DHCP handshake, but only intermittently get any packets through. So I reverted to the Linksys firmware (simply by telnetting in and booting the secondary partition).

Linksys firmware (1.0.5.176416) runs stable, no dropouts, constant WiFi speed but also causes some trouble. Wifi range seems to be worse, some Airport Expresses not connecting properly anymore... Rolling Eyes

Now I'm hoping to see updated dd-wrt or Linksys firmware in the near future...
lim
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 10:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
skloetzer wrote:
Now I'm hoping to see updated dd-wrt or Linksys firmware in the near future...

Me too! The 3200ACM seems to be suffering from teething troubles regarding radio output. Mine works fine for hours and then the wireless just stops (ethernet output continues without fault).
The only solution seems to be to power cycle the router.
No such problems with the 1900ACSv1.

Regards, lim

ATHF
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 12:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
It's being worked on, https://github.com/kaloz/mwlwifi/issues/118
Velop:2 WHW0101, RE6500, RE9000(AP)
Spectrum - 1000/50
SysLog Watcher 5, New security Onion box coming soon, Fingboxes, PiHoles, NEMS, Cacti, rpisurv
lim
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 11:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
ATHF wrote:
It's being worked on, https://github.com/kaloz/mwlwifi/issues/118

@ATHF
Thank you for that interesting news; I shall keep my fingers crossed.

Regards, lim

itrends
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 22:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
cani1989 wrote:

1) I started out by installing ExpressVPN and decided to go back to original firmware, which I downloaded from here: http://www.linksys.com/dk/support-article?articleNum=207552

2) I contacted ExpressVPN support and they ended up telling me this is a bug due to the file size of the Linksys firmware.

3) I try to install DD-WRT which upgrades nicely. From here I then try and restore to the original firmware from Linksys. After the upgrade it appears to be back in ExpressVPN!?!

4) I contact Linksys support and basically the guy is the least helpful I've ever talked to. Just keeps saying DD-WRT is out of support and so on. Finally after a long back and forth where I explain them that this issue is not related to an issue with DD-WRT, but rather the file size. It wouldn't matter what third-party firmware I was using. Finally, I am now waiting for their "assurance team" to take a look, which I guess is some kind of extended support.

The issue to me seems to be the size of the Linksys firmware and I can't find any previous version that might be smaller. Any ideas how to fix this issue?

I have LITERALLY just gone through exactly the same problems and now am desperately trying to get back to stock firmware but have no way to do it. I've been trying via TFTP but that doesn't appear to work! I only got the router today, wish I'd never tried expressVPN now! I only did so because they suggest you can revert, but you clearly can't! Sad

Anyway, mostly commenting so that I get notified of replies in the hope I can fix my currently bricked router that I've owned for less than a day Smile
itrends
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 7:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
cani1989 wrote:

Hey. Quick update for you. The express VPN team are aware of the problem of not being able to flash back to stock with IMG file and are aiming to release a fix next week.

If you can't wait then the USB to serial method will work.

For now I've managed to get the express VPN to boot again, then flashed ddwrt and get internet working. That's good enough until the fix next week.or my USB cable arrives - whichever is sooner Smile
cani1989
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 9:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
itrends wrote:
Hey. Quick update for you. The express VPN team are aware of the problem of not being able to flash back to stock with IMG file and are aiming to release a fix next week.

If you can't wait then the USB to serial method will work.

For now I've managed to get the express VPN to boot again, then flashed ddwrt and get internet working. That's good enough until the fix next week.or my USB cable arrives - whichever is sooner Smile

I followed the advice from Chad McCue that many people here have talked to. Here's my thread with him: http://community.linksys.com/t5/Wireless-Routers/WRT3200ACM-Cannot-restore-firmware-is-too-large/m-p/1064772#M329835

My solution was getting a TTL to USB cable and running the different tools with u-boot.

You need to make sure to have both the "TeraTerm" console running AND a TFTP Server as well. I mistakenly didn't have the TFTP running, because I had a hard time understanding what each tool did.
I ended up having a Skype conversation with Chad actually and he extremely nice (Canadian of course) and pointed this mistake out.

I will post some more elaborate steps on the Linksys Forum Thread later, but I havn't had the time yet.
itrends
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 9:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks! I already ordered a cable. So if it arrives before a fix I'll be giving it a go Smile
Butsudoka
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 0:14    Post subject: WRT3200ACM Flamming POS Reply with quote
I've used DD-WRT starting with a WRT54G old school router. Then I got a Linksys e3200 and started using OptWare. I'm a power user, can figure things out, but don't have time to troubleshoot extensively. I bought the WRT3200ACM as I was planning on taking my old router to my Mom's house so I could VPN into her network and troubleshoot tech from afar. It didn't work out so I fortunately still had the e3200 to reinstall after not being able to connect via WiFi. The router did work for a while but then just stopped connecting. ATH2 would shut down overnight and would only come up following a reboot. I would rather have the e3200 with DD-WRT rather than booting from the second partition on the WRT3200ACM into the factory firmware.

I bought the WRT3200ACM because it said that it was compatible with DD-WRT. I assumed that that meant the warranty wouldn't be violated and that the DD-WRT build would work. I was wrong on both counts.

I totally appreciate BrainSlayer's efforts and have learned a great deal more in reading through the forums in order to troubleshoot the new WRT. I understand more now what DD-WRT is and is not. I certainly wished Linksys was more explicit on the box with the warranty issue and will put the WRT3200ACM on the shelf for a few months while the development catches up with the hardware.
LookingForMyMojo
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 4:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
Spent the last little bit going through various images for the WRT3200. Ddwrt/lede/openwrt/openwrt-gargoyle. The wireless is flaky on all of them, at the moment, for me anyway. But that is expected at this point. Settled on Openwrt Trunk, and WRT1900 as access point. Not using wireless on the 3200. Quite a combo though! Smile

Just want to add a thought.

I have been trying various 3rd party firmwares on the "wrt" reboot starting with 1900v1. I ALWAYS keep stock firmware in one of the partitions. It is a piece of cake to telnet or ssh in and reboot into the stock partition. But that means if you try ddwrt, only flash the initial file. If you flash the 2nd one, you lose the stock firmware. Just flash the one, then if you arent happy, just reboot back into the other partition. Saves alot of headaches.
<Kong>
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 6:57    Post subject: Re: WRT3200ACM Flamming POS Reply with quote
Butsudoka wrote:

I totally appreciate BrainSlayer's efforts and have learned a great deal more in reading through the forums in order to troubleshoot the new WRT. I understand more now what DD-WRT is and is not..

I don't think you get any idea what dd-wrt is by looking at the support for this model.

You should ask users of an R7000 for example, there are only a handful routers that you can consider premium class dd-wrt routers you can fully rely on in terms of stable firmware support, without the need for expert equipment/know how etc.

Just the message count in the broadcom forum says everything.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.) All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: