Bricked my WRT54GL - Another Success Story

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
LightSpeed
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 1:23    Post subject: Bricked my WRT54GL - Another Success Story Reply with quote
Okay, it looks like v24_0714 did a number on my router as well! I've been sticking to v23 builds figuring they were more stable, but decided I'd like to try the multiple SSID feature of v24. I guess I picked the wrong day to try it! Crying or Very sad

Oh well, that's the chance one takes! Anyway... I have a WRT54GL and haven't seen much about them on the forums. My symptoms are a bit different than others I've seen. All lights are NOT on, no blinking power light, no wireless light. I do get link lights when I plug in to any of the ethernet ports. Perhaps the oddest thing is that the reset button doesn't seem to have any affect - no matter how long I hold it in or if done while powering on.

I've tried the ping thing - no luck. I tried the TFTP program from linksys (it's easy to use and seems to coninuously and quickly attempt to connect while powering up) - no luck.

So... anyone seen these symptoms? Have you been able to breathe new life into your brick? I know it's time to pop the top, but before I spend the time and money to build a JTAG connector (I don't even own a soldering iron), I was hopeing for some input on this particular problem/router. I know it's bad and could cause permanent damage (or worse), but I'm real tempted to try the pin shorting trick - but which pins for this model?

TIA!
LightSpeed

Last edited by LightSpeed on Sat Jul 15, 2006 20:49; edited 1 time in total
Sponsor
HWS
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 1:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
You can use tftp for unbrick your router.
Put a switch or hub between computer and router.
Configure your Networkadapter to a fixed IP 192.168.(don't now exaktly the number, but exist in the forum) may be 192.168.1.10.
Your router responds on 192.168.1.1 during the "boot wait" phase and accept only this one IP over tftp, otherwise timout occurs
--
May be my information are wrong, I'v never briked my wrt54gl and i flash every version since may (except 14 July) Cool

DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 3:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks for the reply HWS. I did try disabling DHCP and manually set my IP to 192.168.1.* during my previous ping and TFTP attempts to no avail (but just tried again several times for good measure). I don't have a hub/switch, so I couldn't try that, but did set my adapter to 10Mb/Half as is suggested just about everywhere.

A little more detail on exactly what happens during power up... (1) power light blinks about 20 times (all ethernet port lights are solid for about the first 5 blinks, but DMZ and WLAN never light). (2) power light solid for about 20 seconds (3) Cisco button light comes on. (4) Power light & Cisco Light solid - all other lights off. (5) Ethernet ports will light if connected.

I did have boot-wait set, so I assume that's the 20 seconds between power light going solid and Cisco button lighting? Sure would be nice if I could get it to respond to TFTP during this time!

Anybody know why the reset button doesn't seem to do anything now?

Thanks!
LightSpeed
LightSpeed
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 20:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
Okay... it's alive! I found an old wired router I forgot I had and set it to no DHCP, etc. to act only as a hub. I was able to TFTP to the router using this setup and now all is working great! This was very easy to get to work also! Bottom line... don't give up hope!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: