Nighthawk X10 (R9000)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 51, 52, 53  Next
Author Message
HalfBit
DD-WRT Guru


Joined: 04 Sep 2009
Posts: 736
Location: AR, USA

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 4:31    Post subject: Nighthawk X10 (R9000) Reply with quote
All I can say is wow. My R7000 is already overkill. I can't even begin to describe what this would be:
https://www.netgear.com/landings/ad7200/?cid=wmt_netgear_organic#compare

_________________
R7000 Nighthawk - DD-WRT v3.0-r40270M kongac (07/11/19)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Currently Unused~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
WRT54Gv2 - V24 STD Build 22118 configured as AP
WRT54Gv8.2 - V24 Micro Build 22118 configured as AP
Sponsor
m00nman
DD-WRT User


Joined: 14 Jan 2009
Posts: 406
Location: AB, Canada

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 5:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
Holy crap. 802.11ad is already here. I wonder how good the range is at 60GHz. Probably won't go through a wall.
_________________

Nethear R6300 v2 - Latest Kong dd-wrt always
Linksys E3000 - Latest dd-wrt always
Asus RT-N56U - OpenWRT trunk
JAMESMTL
DD-WRT Guru


Joined: 13 Mar 2014
Posts: 856
Location: Montreal, QC

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 5:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
definitely looks interesting. From the AnandTech article this morning this router uses an Annapurna Labs AL-314 SoC, let's just hope it's opensource friendly and dd-wrt can be ported.

if ddwrt can be ported then i'm looking forward to seeing what type of lan <-> wan speeds ddwrt will get with this SoC. On another note the 10 Gbps sfp+ port if configurable as a wan port could be useful for FTTH setups where the ISP uses SFP GPON modules.

_________________
IPv6 Ready - HE IPv6 Tunnel
http://test-ipv6.com (10/10)
http://ipv6-test.com (20/20)
http://test-ipv6.netiter.dk (20/20)

giuliomagnifico
DD-WRT User


Joined: 11 Apr 2016
Posts: 263
Location: Italy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 5:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
At the moment it's useless because there aren't devices able to use the 60GHz band (or they are really few). Anyway I've already seen the openWRT firmware for this monster: https://www.myopenrouter.com/download/openwrt-firmware-netgear-r9000-nighthawk-x10
Roy2001
DD-WRT User


Joined: 25 Oct 2006
Posts: 68

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 15:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
You can only achieve higher speed when your laptop with 802.11AD can SEE the router within the same room. I think it is useless.

But, if the price is right, I mean it is more close to $200 than $500, I would definitely buy.

_________________
RT-AC68U (Moded from TM-AC1900) with Merlin, 2 HDD's attached
Netgear R8000 - with 30225 Kong build
TM-AC1900 still with Tmobile FW
ironmanlok
DD-WRT User


Joined: 16 Jul 2012
Posts: 59

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 23:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
oh dear lord, another crappy atheros wifi with terrible opensource drivers... and R7800 SoC had so much potential...

btw, whats the deal with companies using outdated ARM cores, A15??? really?

And I thought netgear using IPQ8065 with 2 Krait cores meant they finally realised that CPU horsepower is actually needed for ppl buying high end routers
labo
DD-WRT Guru


Joined: 30 Jan 2015
Posts: 673
Location: Texas, USA

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 3:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
You can preorder now, end of next week delivery:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833122919

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1279027-REG/netgear_x10_ad7200_nighthawk_x10_wireless_ad7200_multi_gig.html
Alozaros
DD-WRT Guru


Joined: 16 Nov 2015
Posts: 2900
Location: UK, London, just across the river..

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 10:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
ironmanlok wrote:
oh dear lord, another crappy atheros wifi with terrible opensource drivers... and R7800 SoC had so much potential...

btw, whats the deal with companies using outdated ARM cores, A15??? really?

And I thought netgear using IPQ8065 with 2 Krait cores meant they finally realised that CPU horsepower is actually needed for ppl buying high end routers


Powerful Quad-Core 1.7GHz processor & 512MB NAND flash and 1GB DDR3 SDRAM
i have a believe this is powerful....??
actually one of my clients wants to order R9000 soon but i doubt he will change the stock firmware if its stable... will see Smile

_________________
Atheros
TP-Link WR740Nv1 ------DD-WRT 33772 BS WAP/Switch (wired)
TP-Link WR1043NDv2 -----DD-WRT 41328 BS (AP,PPPoE,NAT,AD Blocking,AP Isolation,Firewall,Local DNS,Forced DNS,DoT)
TP-Link WR1043NDv2 -----DD-WRT 41321 BS (AP,NAT,AD Blocking,Firewall,Wi-Fi OFF,Local DNS,Forced DNS,DoT)
TP-Link WR1043NDv2 -----Gargoyle OS 1.11.0 (AP,NAT,QoS,Quotas)
Qualcomm/IPQ8065
Netgear R7800 ---------DD-WRT 40270M 4.9 Kong (AP,NAT,AD-Blocking,AP&Net Isolation,Firewall,Local DNS,DNSCrypt v2 x2)
Broadcom
Netgear R7000 ---------DD-WRT 40270M Kong (AP,NAT,VLAN,AD-Blocking,Firewall,Local DNS,Forced DNS,DoT)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Stubby for DNS over TLS I DNSCrypt v2 via Entware by mac913
ironmanlok
DD-WRT User


Joined: 16 Jul 2012
Posts: 59

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 12:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
4x cortex a15 at 1.7ghz
thats a 2011 core that soc industry (at least for mobile) mostly ignored because krait wiped the floor with it
<Kong>
DD-WRT Guru


Joined: 15 Dec 2010
Posts: 4354
Location: Germany

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 12:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
ironmanlok wrote:
4x cortex a15 at 1.7ghz
thats a 2011 core that soc industry (at least for mobile) mostly ignored because krait wiped the floor with it


It really depends, there is not enough info available regarding the annapurna, it can be as good or even better compared to the krait:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_ARMv7-A_cores

The quad core along with 1GB RAM would be able to smoothly handle the new feature I'm currently running on my unit. I'm soon going to write a little guide on how to install and enable this feature:-)

_________________
KONG PB's: http://www.desipro.de/ddwrt/
KONG Info: http://tips.desipro.de/
cybrnook
DD-WRT User


Joined: 08 Jan 2014
Posts: 288

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 13:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
<Kong> wrote:
would be able to smoothly handle the new feature I'm currently running on my unit.


<Kong> wrote:
I'm soon going to write a little guide on how to install and enable this feature:-)


Suspense, much?
slidermike
DD-WRT Guru


Joined: 11 Nov 2013
Posts: 1487
Location: USA

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 14:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
The only feature that stood out to me that i believe Kong could port over is Plex.
That would be my guess what Kong was teasing.
Smile

Personally I would just keep the R7000 and buy the nVidia Shield for $200 which runs the Plex server very well (with latest version that fixes most issues).

_________________
Router currently owned:
Netgear R7800 - Router
Netgear R7000 - AP mode

R7000 specific Tips/Tricks.
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=264152
ironmanlok
DD-WRT User


Joined: 16 Jul 2012
Posts: 59

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 14:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
<Kong> wrote:
ironmanlok wrote:
4x cortex a15 at 1.7ghz
thats a 2011 core that soc industry (at least for mobile) mostly ignored because krait wiped the floor with it


It really depends, there is not enough info available regarding the annapurna, it can be as good or even better compared to the krait:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_ARMv7-A_cores

The quad core along with 1GB RAM would be able to smoothly handle the new feature I'm currently running on my unit. I'm soon going to write a little guide on how to install and enable this feature:-)


http://www.anandtech.com/show/10771/netgear-launches-80211adenabled-nighthawk-x10-r9000-ad7200-wifi-router

Quote:
Update: Netgear informed us that the SoC is the Annapurna Labs AL-314


so it's official, 4x A15 @ 1.7ghz

Now, you can pretty much ignore anything that uses DMIPS/MHz as comparison... In A15 we have a 3 wide decode, 3 wide issue, a relatively long 15-17 stages pipeline and a very timid OoO machine, on the other hand Krait has 3 wide decoder, 4 wide issue, 11 stages pipeline and a better OoO machine... Krait can extract more paralelism from intructions but can reach lower clocks, but since we're talking about 1.7ghz in both cores (R7800 vs R9000), I'd give the edge to R7800... I'm not sure if VPN and other common DDWRT workloads are multithreaded, I guess its not, so then core count is irrelevant

Anyway, I really don't get the reason SoC companies keep using such outdated cores, it's not like they can save costs reusing the same core because they have to license the IP and redesign the ASIC from scratch for each new SoC regardless...

I'm not asking to use bleeding edge, but really, if u're going for a fat core, why not an A57? If power or space were the limit, why not stick with an A53 or even A12, which are in order cores that are faster and smaller than A9s? Makes no sense to me, really

Now, the only problem with Krait/Kryo cores is that they will be necessarily paired with atheros WiFi =/
<Kong>
DD-WRT Guru


Joined: 15 Dec 2010
Posts: 4354
Location: Germany

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 14:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
ironmanlok wrote:
<Kong> wrote:
ironmanlok wrote:
4x cortex a15 at 1.7ghz
thats a 2011 core that soc industry (at least for mobile) mostly ignored because krait wiped the floor with it


It really depends, there is not enough info available regarding the annapurna, it can be as good or even better compared to the krait:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_ARMv7-A_cores

The quad core along with 1GB RAM would be able to smoothly handle the new feature I'm currently running on my unit. I'm soon going to write a little guide on how to install and enable this feature:-)


http://www.anandtech.com/show/10771/netgear-launches-80211adenabled-nighthawk-x10-r9000-ad7200-wifi-router

Quote:
Update: Netgear informed us that the SoC is the Annapurna Labs AL-314


so it's official, 4x A15 @ 1.7ghz

Now, you can pretty much ignore anything that uses DMIPS/MHz as comparison... In A15 we have a 3 wide decode, 3 wide issue, a relatively long 15-17 stages pipeline and a very timid OoO machine, on the other hand Krait has 3 wide decoder, 4 wide issue, 11 stages pipeline and a better OoO machine... Krait can extract more paralelism from intructions but can reach lower clocks, but since we're talking about 1.7ghz in both cores (R7800 vs R9000), I'd give the edge to R7800... I'm not sure if VPN and other common DDWRT workloads are multithreaded, I guess its not, so then core count is irrelevant



But we are not talking about a smartphone but a router.

On a router you handle multiple clients, thus you always have multithreading, besides that new kernels allow more multithreading in nat etc. so even single client systems benefit from it.

@slidermike, no plex, I don't see a real benefit compared to minidlna. I'm talking about a content filter, that can filter based via rules/image recognition/virus scanning etc.

For me it is mostly useful as parental control.
And while it runs on my R6400 in basic config it will need more power if one enables the advanced features.

_________________
KONG PB's: http://www.desipro.de/ddwrt/
KONG Info: http://tips.desipro.de/
HalfBit
DD-WRT Guru


Joined: 04 Sep 2009
Posts: 736
Location: AR, USA

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 4:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
<Kong> wrote:
@slidermike, no plex, I don't see a real benefit compared to minidlna. I'm talking about a content filter, that can filter based via rules/image recognition/virus scanning etc.

For me it is mostly useful as parental control.
And while it runs on my R6400 in basic config it will need more power if one enables the advanced features.

I'm in, I'll test it!

_________________
R7000 Nighthawk - DD-WRT v3.0-r40270M kongac (07/11/19)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Currently Unused~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
WRT54Gv2 - V24 STD Build 22118 configured as AP
WRT54Gv8.2 - V24 Micro Build 22118 configured as AP
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 51, 52, 53  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 53
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum