VNCRepeater

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.)
HappyDaddy
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 2:24    Post subject: VNCRepeater Reply with quote
Long time listener first time caller here. I'm currently running Kong's r30695 release on a WRT-1900ACS (v1).

I'll keep it quick for now. Can someone please confirm whether or not VNCRepeater can be or has been successfully implemented on DD-WRT yet? I have a WRT1900ACS (v1) that I'd like to eliminate as many port forwards as possible and this would allow me to cut out quite a few of them. From what I can tell, there are some traces on partial installs in the /etc/config/ directory but that's about all I can find. It looks as if it is available in OpenWRT though but I'd really like to stay with DD-WRT.

Alternatively, are there any other options that will accomplish the same goal of using a VNC remotely without forwarding multiple ports for each machine?

Thanks!
Sponsor
Per Yngve Berg
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 11:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
Use SSH Forward or VPN into your LAN. Then you can access all resoruces as you where located in the LAN.
HappyDaddy
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 5:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
You know, I had tried that in the past but grew frustrated as I was in a hurry however it made so much more sense once you mentioned it. I've been tinkering with it today and finally have OpenNVC working and accessing my network remotely from even my iPhone. Thanks for the reminder.

For others who may be interested, be careful, it's much easier than several of the tutorials out there make it out to be. Many of them are very unclear in their instructions which led to much unnecessary work.
HappyDaddy
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 16:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
I may need to start a separate thread for this one but it is related to the last statement.

Do I need to configure port forwarding to allow the VPN subnet (192.168.66.0) to connect to the LAN (192.168.0.0)? When I run VNC from a remote location I get an error that I cannot connect to the destinitation IP. I'm assuming this is because I'm in a different subnet maybe? Or should I setup the VPN to run on the LAN?

Thanks!!
Per Yngve Berg
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 16:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
Since there is no NAT, there is no port forwarding.
HappyDaddy
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 16:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
So then it should be working as is, right?
HappyDaddy
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 6:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
Pulling my hair out here.

I'm able to log in to the VPN but that's all. I can see the client on the VPN Status Page and I seem to have a rock solid connection but for some reason, I cannot do anything on the VPN. Can't VNC other machines, access other resources, view the printer config page, DD-WRT configuration, etc. I have checked and re-checked everything, I've disabled the firewall entirely, all to no avail.

Any ideas?
Per Yngve Berg
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 9:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
Can you ping the client from the router?
Can you ping the router from the client?

Do you change the default route or do you push routes to the client?
HappyDaddy
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 14:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
No. neither.
HappyDaddy
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 17:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have to ask, is there anything special about the client config file that I need to do since I'm attempting the connection via iPhone?
HappyDaddy
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 22:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
FINALLY!!! Success at last. I'm now able to access all network devices via OpenVPN just as if I am sitting on the LAN. In fact, I'm even assigned a LAN IP address. However, this required a bridged connection which is fine for most purposes but it wasn't until I completed the process until I realized that iOS doesn't support TAP based tunnels so VNC is still impossible via iPhone over VPN unless there is another way to accomplish this.

Any ideas?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.) All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: