Netgear R6300v2 Unbrick help

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
CRRZY_MAN
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 6:24    Post subject: Netgear R6300v2 Unbrick help Reply with quote
My Netgear r6300v2 router recently stopped wokring after I powered it off and then on again. This is a known problem, at least on the stock firmware, and I'm guessing that it is due to some hardware problem.

However, after I rebooted it, it isn't working at all. When in the power cable, all it does is show a dim amber light for "internet" and nothing else. The reset button does nothing, and I've also tried a 30/30/30 reset, to no avail.

I was also unable to detect the router whatsoever via a direct Ethernet connection from my pc, so I can't transfer a new firmware to it using tftp (at least as it stands now).

How should I go about unbricking it? I don't want to have to use a usb-ttl adapter, as that would require disassembly of the case and fiddling with the board, and most likely will be unsuccessful anyways with my luck, but are there any other avenues that I can take?
Sponsor
js1662
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 6:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
Have you tried this: http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/19841/~/reinstall-the-firmware-on-a-router-without-the-setup-cd-recovery-tool?cid=wmt_netgear_organic
CRRZY_MAN
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 9:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yeah, I did, as I said, i can't ping the router at all- it just doesn't reply. I also can't find it using a network scanning utility, either.
js1662
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 10:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
Take a look at note 6 of this thread for information on how to test for bricked routers: http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=51486

The worse case is you can't get any ping response at all, not even for a short time during bootup. It may turn out that usb-ttl adaptor is unavoidable.
CRRZY_MAN
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 10:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
Alright, I will be sure to pour over that list tonight. I tried a similar strategy, but only got "destination host unreachable" errors, so i'll see how my luck is.
CRRZY_MAN
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 14:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
Update:

Tried a whole bunch of different methods to connect to the router via an Ethernet cable, and have tried many different iterations of ipv4 settings, none of which worked. Tried the solutions on the peacock thread, none of which worked because I could not connect to the router. Usb-ttl is looking like a far more likely option now, if I don't have a hardware failure at least.
CRRZY_MAN
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 3:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
I also tried plugging the power adapter into a 220v connection rather than a 120v one, as well as connecting it to my almost identically rated PSU for my TP-Link router (the tp-link one is rated 12v 4a, with the Netgear PSU at 12v 3a), and there was no change.
js1662
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 4:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sounds like it is the end of it if serial cable approach is not an option. Seems like there is nothing more you can do now.
calc
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 17:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
Using a USB TTL is very easy to do, I bricked my router on Friday night and went and got one locally Saturday morning. The pin header is already on the board so you just need to remove 3 torx screws and carefully unhook the front of the case, no soldering needed. The board then just lifts out and you can hook up the USB TTL via jumper wires.

I did run into one issue with the guide, I was using minicom and had to disable hardware flow control before ctrl-c would actually work to stop the boot process.

sploit
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 4:39    Post subject: Read my Guide... Reply with quote
Read my Guide at...
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=304398
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: