ASUS RT-AC5300 Switch Ports

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
asrobinson
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 16:17    Post subject: ASUS RT-AC5300 Switch Ports Reply with quote
By default ASUS disables the 4 port switch when you disable the WANon the AC5300. I moved to dd-wrt in hopes of avoiding this behavior, but the shortcoming remains. Can anyone confirm that this is a hardware limitation in the 5300 which cant be usurped via firmware? Per ASUS tech support, this is by design. I was just hoping to get around it. I am using the build released 7/1/16
Sponsor
<Kong>
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 18:06    Post subject: Re: ASUS RT-AC5300 Switch Ports Reply with quote
asrobinson wrote:
By default ASUS disables the 4 port switch when you disable the WANon the AC5300. I moved to dd-wrt in hopes of avoiding this behavior, but the shortcoming remains. Can anyone confirm that this is a hardware limitation in the 5300 which cant be usurped via firmware? Per ASUS tech support, this is by design. I was just hoping to get around it. I am using the build released 7/1/16

Unlike the Netgear R8500 the AC5300 comes with two switches, that's the reason why you cannot combine all ports including the wan port.

The R8500 has a real 7 port switch (6+1) switch where you can use all 7 for lan.

DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 18:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thank you for your prompt reply! It is appreciated!

I'm not trying to bond the ports. I just want them active when the WAN is disabled. Unfortunately, the ports are rendered inoperable when you disable WAN, not to be confused with disabling the WAN port. With the WAN setting disabled wireless clients can still connect and Pull a DHCP address from my DHCP server on my local LAN and traffic routes fine. However, the 4 port switch doesn't work at all. Obviously the WAN port is working as it is the only connection to my LAN where the wireless clients are pulling DHCP addresses from. I'm basically using this as a bridge for the same subnet

WAN ROUTER & DHCPServer(192.168.0.0/24)
Cisco 3750 Switch
AC5300(192.168.0.254)
Wireless clients work fine(uses DHCP server on WAN Router).
Switch on AC5300 is disabled

I am trying to get this to work like a standard bridge with clinets on the 4 port switch as well as wireless clients.
<Kong>
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 21:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
asrobinson wrote:
Thank you for your prompt reply! It is appreciated!

I'm not trying to bond the ports. I just want them active when the WAN is disabled. Unfortunately, the ports are rendered inoperable when you disable WAN, not to be confused with disabling the WAN port. With the WAN setting disabled wireless clients can still connect and Pull a DHCP address from my DHCP server on my local LAN and traffic routes fine. However, the 4 port switch doesn't work at all. Obviously the WAN port is working as it is the only connection to my LAN where the wireless clients are pulling DHCP addresses from. I'm basically using this as a bridge for the same subnet

WAN ROUTER & DHCPServer(192.168.0.0/24)
Cisco 3750 Switch
AC5300(192.168.0.254)
Wireless clients work fine(uses DHCP server on WAN Router).
Switch on AC5300 is disabled

I am trying to get this to work like a standard bridge with clinets on the 4 port switch as well as wireless clients.

I'm not talking about bonding, you have two switches you have to connect them internally to form a 8 port switch. If you "remove" that connection then you loose 4 ports.

Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 2:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
the asus rt 5300 has only 1 Switch. disabling wan does also not Change anything on the Switch. it will just not use wan Connection. since my rt 5300 has wan disabled and is still working i just assume this is a bogus Report or a missconfigured router (ip conflicts etc.)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 5:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
BrainSlayer wrote:
the asus rt 5300 has only 1 Switch. disabling wan does also not Change anything on the Switch. it will just not use wan Connection. since my rt 5300 has wan disabled and is still working i just assume this is a bogus Report or a missconfigured router (ip conflicts etc.)

Right, I thought this is the 8 Port Model, which is the AC88U.

DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 18:32    Post subject: Nope Reply with quote
I can assure you its not misconfigured. I have 2 and I can replicate this on both models. So you are saying you can configure your AC5300 as a bridge and PASS DHCP requests to your switch from a local DHCP server? If so would you mind posting your config? According to ASUS, what you claim is not possible. Seem email below! When he refers to access mode he is referring to the disabled Wan port. If he is wrong I welcome your rebuttal as I would like to get this working but I doubt you are working with the configuration I am referring to. There are multiple post on this site with users having the same issue with that model.

Dear Scott,

Thank you for your time on sending this email. Let me assist you.

Please check the unit's administration settings > accespoint mode. You may check the diagram provided on the router's interface, unfortunately in access point mode the wired connection of the router will be disabled.

For further assistance or if you want to discuss this matter with me, please email me at customerloyalty@asus.com and put case #N160711235 in the subject line for a reference. I'm here to help you and all others with these issues, as our customer loyalty department dedicated to bringing a resolution to all issues related to our products.

Thank you for choosing ASUS.

Best regards,
Jerry
ASUS Customer Loyalty
asrobinson
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 18:45    Post subject: Nope Reply with quote
I can assure you its not misconfigured. I have 2 and I can replicate this on both models. So you are saying you can configure your AC5300 as a bridge and PASS DHCP requests to your switch from a local DHCP server? If so would you mind posting your config? According to ASUS, what you claim is not possible. Seem email below! When he refers to access mode he is referring to the disabled Wan port. If he is wrong I welcome your rebuttal as I would like to get this working but I doubt you are working with the configuration I am referring to. There are multiple post on this site with users having the same issue with that model.

Dear Scott,

Thank you for your time on sending this email. Let me assist you.

Please check the unit's administration settings > accespoint mode. You may check the diagram provided on the router's interface, unfortunately in access point mode the wired connection of the router will be disabled.

For further assistance or if you want to discuss this matter with me, please email me at customerloyalty@asus.com and put case #N160711235 in the subject line for a reference. I'm here to help you and all others with these issues, as our customer loyalty department dedicated to bringing a resolution to all issues related to our products.

Thank you for choosing ASUS.

Best regards,
Jerry
ASUS Customer Loyalty
Per Yngve Berg
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 19:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
I don't think the wan port is connected to the switch on this model. It's a separate interface.

What device name does the wan have in dd-wrt (ethX or vlan2)?
rommer
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 17:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
BrainSlayer wrote:

I can assure you this is not a misconfiguration issue. This problem still exists with your 9/1/16 build. The lan ports do work unless you set a static ip on your computer. DHCP works for the wireless ports but there is no attempt for it to work on the ethernet ports.

I used tcpdump and I can see the DHCP requests from the computer but the router is ignoring them.

I'm hoping that you can take a look at this issue soon since it appears to have been there since day one.

FWIW, I'm using one of the 5GHz bands as a repeater to connect to another wireless router and the wan port is not used. I've used the exact same setup on an asus rt-3200 with a number of Kongs builds and the ethernet ports work with dhcp. No need to use static ips's

Can you think of something I can provide that would help you identify this issue?

Kong, correct me if I'm wrong but you aren't doing builds for the Asus rt-ac5300?
<Kong>
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 20:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
rommer wrote:

Kong, correct me if I'm wrong but you aren't doing builds for the Asus rt-ac5300?

How much nvram does the AC5300 have?

DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 11:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
<Kong> wrote:
rommer wrote:

From the Asus website :
128 MB Flash
512 MB RAM

nvram show gives me : size: 58743 bytes (72329 left)
which confirms the asus 128mb number.
<Kong>
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 17:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
rommer wrote:
<Kong> wrote:
rommer wrote:

From the Asus website :
128 MB Flash
512 MB RAM

nvram show gives me : size: 58743 bytes (72329 left)
which confirms the asus 128mb number.

OK, will upload an image in a few hours.

Update: Build for the AC5300 is up.

DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 0:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sweet, thanks!
rommer
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 1:31    Post subject: WOW! Reply with quote
Thanks Kong, just sent you a little something for your efforts.

Working great right out of the shoot. DHCP works on the ethernet ports.

I'm using the exact same setup as before. (OK, yes I dirty flashed cause I have a lot of stuff to setup which I will do on the weekend or if it crashes. Which ever comes first)

All three radios are working. Radio 0 is 2.4 wireless access point, Radio 1 is a 5.0ghz wireless repeater to connect to my main router on land, (did I forget to say I'm on a boat Wink and radio 2 is a 5.0ghz access point.

I'm getting 150mbps both up and down which is my full connection with my isp.

About 15 Static addresses and roughly 20 port forwards.

A little bit of trouble with setting the wireless channels for Radio 2 but I'll get into that in another post. I was able to work around and get the channel I wanted.

Again, thanks Kong!
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 3
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: