Unable to flash WRT1200AC

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.)
muddyboots
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 18:46    Post subject: Unable to flash WRT1200AC Reply with quote
Hey guys, I'm hoping I'm not the only one having this issue. I am unable to flash either Kong's build, or the build from the database to my wrt1200ac. I tried following all the steps i've found in the forums and else on the internet (log into the linksys firmware through IP address, upload the firmware manually, wait, yada yada yada), but it always just reboots back to the stock firmware. I checked out 192.168.1.1/sysinfo.cgi, and it says I'm on boot_part=2. I don't know if its flashing DD-WRT to partition one, and then reverting to partition 2 on reboot. Maybe? I dunno. I've tried resetting to stock, flashing, but same deal. I also try the power switch toggle x3 trick, but that doesn't seem to change the partition.

Maybe I'm doing the toggle trick wrong? I turn it off, wait a couple seconds, then turn it back on. The power light is immediately on, I wait until it turns off then back on and immediately switch it back off. I count that as 1. then I repeat that 2 more times, but on the last time (number 3) I leave it on.

Any advice?

Oh and my stock firmware is version 1.0.4.167471 in case that helps.
Sponsor
aventus
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 19:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
Try this http://www.desipro.de/ddwrt/K3-AC-MVEBU/

Factory to ddwrt
muddyboots
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 19:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
aventus wrote:
Try this http://www.desipro.de/ddwrt/K3-AC-MVEBU/

Factory to ddwrt

That was the one that I was using, at it wasn't working.

However, since then I tried just manually reinstalling the stock linksys firmware from the linksys website. did that, went and made a ham sandwich, then when I came back and it was all done, I went back to 192.168.1.1/sysinfo.cgi, and wouldnt you know it, it was not on partition 1. So I went ahead and reflashed Kongs build, enjoyed my sandwich for a few minutes, then went back to 192.168.1.1 and viola! dd-wrt splash page! Pretty awesome, right? Not so fast...

I played around with a few things, set some passwords for the wifi, then tried to go to some websites. nothing was loading, not even when i was connected to the router with via ethernet (yes, the internet cable was plugged in). tried connecting to the wifi connections, also nothing. Might just try to reflash stock...
ghb51
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 20:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
Quote:
Maybe I'm doing the toggle trick wrong? I turn it off, wait a couple seconds, then turn it back on. The power light is immediately on, I wait until it turns off then back on and immediately switch it back off. I count that as 1. then I repeat that 2 more times, but on the last time (number 3) I leave it on.

It should actually be the 4th time that you leave it on, otherwise you're doing it right. Wish i could help with the flashing problem but i don't have any idea other than to suggest making sure your WRT1200 is a V1, but i'm sure you've already done that, fwiw Kongs latest build flashed fine to my WRT1200.
muddyboots
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 21:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
ghb51 wrote:
Quote:

It should actually be the 4th time that you leave it on, otherwise you're doing it right. Wish i could help with the flashing problem but i don't have any idea other than to suggest making sure your WRT1200 is a V1, but i'm sure you've already done that, fwiw Kongs latest build flashed fine to my WRT1200.

Thanks ghb51. I've actually gotten the flash to work now. It took after I reflashed the stock firmware (even though I was already running stock, and the build numbers were identical). But after I got into DD-WRT, it wouldn't connect to the internet, not even through an ethernet connection. The internet light on the front just flashes orange.

The toggle switch trick works now, so I can switch between DD-WRT and the Linksys firmware (which is actually a really handy feature, by the way), but I just cant get to any websites. Maybe I just don't know what to do once I'm in DD-WRT, and I'm not setting it up properly.
ATHF
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 21:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
muddyboots,

Not sure what ISP you have but mine would do the same thing if I didn't unplug the cable modem for ten seconds then let it finish booting, then turned on the router.

Time Warner here anyways, locks the MAC address into the modem, so if you say stick a different router on it, or a router that's been flashed and has a different MAC address, it won't grab an IP address.

Velop:2 WHW0101, RE6500, RE9000(AP)
Spectrum - 1000/50
SysLog Watcher 5, New security Onion box coming soon, Fingboxes, PiHoles, NEMS, Cacti, rpisurv
muddyboots
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 22:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
ATHF wrote:
muddyboots,

Not sure what ISP you have but mine would do the same thing if I didn't unplug the cable modem for ten seconds then let it finish booting, then turned on the router.

Time Warner here anyways, locks the MAC address into the modem, so if you say stick a different router on it, or a router that's been flashed and has a different MAC address, it won't grab an IP address.

Hey that worked! Thanks ATHF! I have comcast, so I guess they do the same thing. I have internet now, thats exciting.
ATHF
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 23:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
Glad it worked for you! Used to do installs for Time Warner, so many service calls for this exact problem. They didn't train customer service very well back then.
Velop:2 WHW0101, RE6500, RE9000(AP)
Spectrum - 1000/50
SysLog Watcher 5, New security Onion box coming soon, Fingboxes, PiHoles, NEMS, Cacti, rpisurv
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.) All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: