Which router

Ryan7926
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 0:08    Post subject: Which router Reply with quote
Hi all, sorry for the basic question as I can't find an Answer else where in the forum. We live in Australia and looking to upgrade to a new router which supports did-wrt to mainly achieve the ability to Vpn so we appear to be located in the USA so we can access Netflix Usa and other us programs that are not in Australia. While I found s list of recommended routers my son is concerned if all the traffic routes via the USA he will experience increased lag with his games connected to Australian servers. I heard the either did-wrt or specific routes will allow you to route traffic based on a specific device. I just brought a net gear D7000 only to find it doesn't support did-wrt so I don't want to make the same mistake twice. Any support would be much appreciated. Cheers Kieran.
Sponsor
mwbuss8
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 23:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
Any router with a modem won't have support, so you're better off with a separate modem.

Keep in mind that Netflix has been blocking VPNs, so your success accessing their US content will likely be quite limited.
Ryan7926
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 23:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
mwbuss8 wrote:
Any router with a modem won't have support, so you're better off with a separate modem.

Keep in mind that Netflix has been blocking VPNs, so your success accessing their US content will likely be quite limited.

Hi GURU,

Is the suggestion that the traffic to the local gaming servers are routed via a direct connection to the existing modem / router and the VPN traffic is connected via the new router running dd-wrt?

Thanks
mwbuss8
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 6:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
How you set it up really comes down to personal preference. If you only want one thing running through the VPN you can do that, or if you want to run everything through it, you can do that too. If you can return the D7000, I'd suggest doing so, and get a dedicated modem and something like an R7000. From there, you can use policy based routing to choose specific devices if you wish.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Advanced Networking All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: