minidlna memory usage/indexing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.)
ghb51
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 16:51    Post subject: minidlna memory usage/indexing Reply with quote
I have Kongs v3.0-r30015M kongmv (6/24/16) build on my WRT1200 and everything works great, this is my first time using minidlna and i'm just wondering if the behavior i'm seeing is normal, i have an 8gb flash drive in one of the usb ports mounted to /jffs for the minidlna database and it seems to be working properly, once indexing is finished there's about 50mb of data on it, but the memory of the WRT1200 stays at about 80% used even when indexing is finished. I can clear out the memory by disabling minidlna, rebooting and reenabling minidlna, memory goes down to about 10% used, but if i use minidlna (play an audio/video file) memory usage on the WRT1200 goes back up to 60-80%. Also, if i reboot without disabling minidlna first, it re-indexes at start up and memory once again goes back to about 80% used.

My understanding was that mounting a drive to /jffs was so neither of these things (high memory usage/re-indexing at boot) would happen, so my two questions are, is this memory usage and re-indexing at boot normal and if not, what do i need to do besides mount a drive to /jffs? I found a comment from Kong (sorry, couldn't find a way to link to a specific comment, it's 4th comment from bottom) on this thread saying Brainslayer had implemented minidlna database to be deleted when the service starts or stops, but it's from a couple of years ago -

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=258096&highlight=minidlna+jffs

And the note in the NAS sidebar in Kongs build suggests that's no longer the case. Thanks for any help.

Edit : forgot to paste the note in the NAS sidebar that i mentioned -

Minidlna Warning: Unless you mount a partition to /jffs the index db will be stored in ram. This can fill up your ram and will cause a reindex at every boot.
Sponsor
<Kong>
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 19:27    Post subject: Re: minidlna memory usage/indexing Reply with quote
ghb51 wrote:
I have Kongs v3.0-r30015M kongmv (6/24/16) build on my WRT1200 and everything works great, this is my first time using minidlna and i'm just wondering if the behavior i'm seeing is normal, i have an 8gb flash drive in one of the usb ports mounted to /jffs for the minidlna database and it seems to be working properly, once indexing is finished there's about 50mb of data on it, but the memory of the WRT1200 stays at about 80% used even when indexing is finished. I can clear out the memory by disabling minidlna, rebooting and reenabling minidlna, memory goes down to about 10% used, but if i use minidlna (play an audio/video file) memory usage on the WRT1200 goes back up to 60-80%. Also, if i reboot without disabling minidlna first, it re-indexes at start up and memory once again goes back to about 80% used.

My understanding was that mounting a drive to /jffs was so neither of these things (high memory usage/re-indexing at boot) would happen, so my two questions are, is this memory usage and re-indexing at boot normal and if not, what do i need to do besides mount a drive to /jffs? I found a comment from Kong (sorry, couldn't find a way to link to a specific comment, it's 4th comment from bottom) on this thread saying Brainslayer had implemented minidlna database to be deleted when the service starts or stops, but it's from a couple of years ago -

And the note in the NAS sidebar in Kongs build suggests that's no longer the case. Thanks for any help.

Minidlna Warning: Unless you mount a partition to /jffs the index db will be stored in ram. This can fill up your ram and will cause a reindex at every boot.

You are reading the stats wrong, most likely your ram is used for filesystem caching until some other process actually needs it. Look at the stats I'm sure there is lots of ram shown under cached.

DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 20:06    Post subject: Re: minidlna memory usage/indexing Reply with quote
<Kong> wrote:
ghb51 wrote:

You are reading the stats wrong, most likely your ram is used for filesystem caching until some other process actually needs it. Look at the stats I'm sure there is lots of ram shown under cached.

Ahh, yes there is, around 45%, well i feel dumb, but thanks for the info and help Kong (and all your work on dd-wrt of course), i appreciate it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.) All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: