wrt1900ac v1, boot loop probelm

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.)
aah57
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 12:36    Post subject: wrt1900ac v1, boot loop probelm Reply with quote
Hi guys,

I am very new to dd-wrt so please bear with me. I also apologize if this is a repost or worse has been discussed to death in the past, but I personally couldn't find a similar thread. I need to use dd-wrt's ovpn client feature. I have a wrt 1900ac v1 that has the latest stock firmware. I downloaded the dd-wrt factory-to-ddwrt image (v.3 beta 28628) and flashed the router with it. The router was working fine for a about 3 hours and then suddenly went into a boot loop state. I did bring it back to the stock partition img so it's working now on stock firmware, but I do need to get the dd-wrt working on it. Other thing to mention is I did change the following: SSID name, wpa 2 pass, and gateway address within dd-wrt, I didn't have time to do the openvpn config, and when I came back I found the router in the boot loop state. If anyone can point me in the right direction, I'd be truly grateful!
Sponsor
Yemble
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 14:23    Post subject: Re: wrt1900ac v1, boot loop probelm Reply with quote
aah57 wrote:
Hi guys,

I am very new to dd-wrt so please bear with me. I also apologize if this is a repost or worse has been discussed to death in the past, but I personally couldn't find a similar thread. I need to use dd-wrt's ovpn client feature. I have a wrt 1900ac v1 that has the latest stock firmware. I downloaded the dd-wrt factory-to-ddwrt image (v.3 beta 28628) and flashed the router with it. The router was working fine for a about 3 hours and then suddenly went into a boot loop state. I did bring it back to the stock partition img so it's working now on stock firmware, but I do need to get the dd-wrt working on it. Other thing to mention is I did change the following: SSID name, wpa 2 pass, and gateway address within dd-wrt, I didn't have time to do the openvpn config, and when I came back I found the router in the boot loop state. If anyone can point me in the right direction, I'd be truly grateful!

You might be better off trying a Kong build: http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=302725

Start from LinkSys stock v1.1.8.* and re-apply the latest Kong stock to DD-WRT IMG file.
aah57
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 14:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi. Thanks for the quick reply. Would you please tell me what'd be the significance of downgrading from 1.10.x stock firmware to 1.8.x?
aah57
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 4:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi,

Update: I reverted the original firmware back to 1.1.8.164461, did a normal restart, and installed the Kong's firmware. Router switched to DD-WRT and as soon as I logged in, and I changed the router's WAN setup to PPPoE, it went into a boot loop again. What gives? I bought the router right when it came out, maybe there's something wrong with the second partition. I don't see others owning the V1 complaining about the same issue. Any help to get this router working with dd-wrt would be great. Thanks.
ATHF
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 5:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
Have you tried selecting another connection type besides the default and PPoE, and if you did, does it do the same thing? (Just for testing it)

-Edit Does this happen just by selecting it or by hitting the save or apply button after selecting it?

Velop:2 WHW0101, RE6500, RE9000(AP)
Spectrum - 1000/50
SysLog Watcher 5, New security Onion box coming soon, Fingboxes, PiHoles, NEMS, Cacti, rpisurv
aah57
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 5:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
As soon as I choose from the drop-down menu, the router crashes. and goes into boot loop. I don't even get the chance to hit the save button. This is both in PPPoE mode, and DHCP mode (with the modem assigning IP to the Linksys router, which I really don't like because of doubling natting)..
ATHF
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 13:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
So your modem is a modem/router??
Velop:2 WHW0101, RE6500, RE9000(AP)
Spectrum - 1000/50
SysLog Watcher 5, New security Onion box coming soon, Fingboxes, PiHoles, NEMS, Cacti, rpisurv
aah57
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 16:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi. Yes. But modem is in general in bridge mode and the PPPoE is established in pfSense. Anyway, I just invested in an 1900ACS v1. I just need to find a stable DD-WRT firmware for it. If in the meantime anyone can direct me to a link, I'd be grateful. If I also have to pay heed to any special instruction, please also let me know. Thank you guys. I am not trying to be lazy avoiding to google this stuff, but since I have already opened a discussion about my case, I thought maybe someone could make my life a lot easier.
myersw
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 18:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
Don't understand why you would go into any kind of a loop issue with what you are doing.

Since you mentioned pfsense I think we need to understand exactly what your setup is. What is the wrt1900ac plugged into for example. Sounds like you may have a pfsense box in front of the router with the pfsense box connected to the modem. See why I am confused as to what you are trying to do?

--bill

ISP:Comcast
tutorial for flashing "WRT" series:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=287813
DD-WRT Installation, Upgrade & Basic Setup–Cliff Notes:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=311117
Kong DD-WRT Config Tutorial:
http://www.instructables.com/id/Install-and-Configure-a-DD-WRT-Kong-Router/
I tried to be normal once. Worst 2 minutes ever.
aah57
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 7:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
myersw wrote:
Don't understand why you would go into any kind of a loop issue with what you are doing.

Hi Bill. I don't understand it either. I have followed the instructions to the t. No errors anywhere either.

myersw wrote:
Since you mentioned pfsense I think we need to understand exactly what your setup is. What is the wrt1900ac plugged into for example. Sounds like you may have a pfsense box in front of the router with the pfsense box connected to the modem. See why I am confused as to what you are trying to do?--bill

My setup has nothing to with the boot loop of the router. If you are interested in my setup, it's a three-dsl WAN connection bundled as on single multi-wan gateway for loadbalancing ( round-robin), and sequential failover (so when one WAN connection goes down, the next active one kicks in as the default gateway). Two wifi access points, one for my LAN, and the other for my guest functioning as hotspot.Everything happens inside pfSense:WAN config, PPPoE connection from each DSL service LAN setup, Routing, NAT, firewall rules, DCHP server, DNS resolve, captive portal, VPN, etc etc etc.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.) All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: