USB hard disk Wifi Interference - 1200AC

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.)
greenbar
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 12:36    Post subject: USB hard disk Wifi Interference - 1200AC Reply with quote
Hi - just note that might help someone having wifi trouble!

I was having problems with my linksys 1200ac getting wifi in other rooms. Clients wouldn't connect or would connect then drop the signal, or it would ask me for the wifi password when it was already saved then not connect. I tried different firmware versions.. Kong & BS, betas and old versions and endless tweaking but nothing would work. I moved the router all over the house to try and find the best spot but nothing would work.

Eventually I tried it somewhere with the USB hard drive not attached and bingo the signal was perfect. After a little reading I found that USB 3.0 can intefere with the wifi signal. It was a hard drive with a cheap caddy from ebay, but after wrapping it in foil the wifi now works perfectly!
Sponsor
Eyerex
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 13:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
I had this with a WRT1900ACS with a few drives but got myself a Seagate 5TB USB 3 the other week and it's been working ok
zakaron
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 14:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
That's an interesting obserservation. I'll have to keep this in mind if I ever run into similar problems. Thanks for sharing!
Eyerex
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 15:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
Did a vid a while ago on this bug

https://youtu.be/iWhaxTwcejs
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.) All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: