is it too late to own a WRT1900AC v1?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.)
jackc
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 12:46    Post subject: is it too late to own a WRT1900AC v1? Reply with quote
i saw a good deal in my local computer shop and am thinking of getting one. I had a wrt54g around 8 years ago and i installed dd-wrt firmware. it works perfectly fine.

Now I am using an TP link router which reboots itself every now and then. I am quite annoyed by it. So now my first requirement is stability and strong reception (single floor 3 bedrooms apartment).

any comments are welcomed.
Sponsor
Yemble
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 14:13    Post subject: Re: is it too late to own a WRT1900AC v1? Reply with quote
jackc wrote:
i saw a good deal in my local computer shop and am thinking of getting one. I had a wrt54g around 8 years ago and i installed dd-wrt firmware. it works perfectly fine.

Now I am using an TP link router which reboots itself every now and then. I am quite annoyed by it. So now my first requirement is stability and strong reception (single floor 3 bedrooms apartment).

any comments are welcomed.

Some would argue that the WRT1900AC v1 is the best model of the WRT1900AC* range, especially when running DD-WRT.
myersw
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 17:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
The wrt1900ac is a decent router. The wrt1900ac v1 has not had any firmware updates from Linksys for over a year so they seem to have dropped support for the v1. Don't know if that is a concern for you or not. The V1 I have has run without issue using Kong's DD-WRT firmware.

The WRT1900AC V1 seems to be the most problem free if you are planning on running DD-WRT. With the latest wireless drivers it now has good wireless performance. If you are planning on DD-WRT I would recommend the Kong builds as being the best.

Can probably pick one up pretty cheap on Ebay or other sites. Doubt that you would find a new one since they stopped making the V1 in 2015 when the V2 came out, first ship was 2014.

Hope this info helps.
--bill

ISP:Comcast
tutorial for flashing "WRT" series:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=287813
DD-WRT Installation, Upgrade & Basic Setup–Cliff Notes:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=311117
Kong DD-WRT Config Tutorial:
http://www.instructables.com/id/Install-and-Configure-a-DD-WRT-Kong-Router/
I tried to be normal once. Worst 2 minutes ever.
Shardnax
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 19:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
I picked one up not too long ago and it hasn't reset on me once. Unless I've gotten lucky it's definitely stable.
Neuspeed
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 19:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
I purchased one soon after it was released. Paid retail price.The OEM firmware it's OK, and back then DD-WRT had nothing for it. It worked well for about two years, but ever since I upgraded to the latest oem firmware it's been giving me issues, specially the Wi-Fi.

I then decided to buy a second one to use it as a repeater and paid $120 for it on ebay. It was used and so far it has not given me any issues. Now is a great time to buy a WRT1900AC if you don't mind it being used.

I decided to use DD-WRT in hopes that it would correct the Wi-Fi issues I was having with oem firmware. So far it's working great with DD-WRT.

The only issue I've had with DD-WRT is when I set the 5 GHz wi-fi channel width to 80 VHT, mobile devices are able to connect to 5 GHz. Wireless performance is poor and inconsistent. This issue also affect desktop computer that uses a Linksys AE2500 dongle. However, it does not affect the Linksys WUMC710 in anyway and it's very fast. I decided to set the channel width to 40 MHz instead and now everything is working correctly. However, the max throughput is 600, instead of 1,300.

On another note. Repeater mode is not supported by WRT1900AC-v1 when using DD-WRT. In order to make them work together, both routers need to have OEM firmware, or One with oem and the other with DD-WRT. Also, the router with OEM firmware is able to utilize 80 VHT w/out issues, unlike the router with DD-WRT. I don't know why this is the case though.
MordecaiWalfish
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 3:47    Post subject: Just bought a V1 brand new today! Reply with quote
Just wanted to chime in that I purchased a V1 WRT1900AC today from my local Sam's Club.

It is preloaded with the newest firmware for the V1 from last year, which I version checked with Linksys' site to ensure was definitely the V1.

If you don't have a Sam's Club local to you, it is possible you could order online I believe. If all else fails, I could pick one up for somebody in need of a new V1.

I literally registered on these forums just to share this.. I didn't realize finding a new V1 was difficult for some until seeing this post while researching what firmware I was going to load on this puppy. I was actually bummed out when I saw that mine was the V1 and not the V2, as I assumed the newer revision must be better in some way, but I guess it's not the preferred one for DD-WRT, from what I read here.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.) All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: