HOWTO: REPEATER MODE in atheros

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
VSparxx
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 8:16    Post subject: Re: Archer C7 as repeater - Internet stops working after 5-1 Reply with quote
dancfuller wrote:
VSparxx wrote:
dancfuller wrote:
VSparxx wrote:
Channel width on both routers ?

20 on both.

Thanks.

Try changing to "Wide HT40" on the repeater, see how it goes.

Same result, unfortunately. It works for < 15 seconds, then no internet access on devices connected to the repeater (whether if those devices are WiFi or hard-wired).

Why don't you try client mode, as client bridge isn't the best method, it's really a flawed way for repeating a signal.
Sponsor
dancfuller
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 4:17    Post subject: Re: Archer C7 as repeater - Internet stops working after 5-1 Reply with quote
VSparxx wrote:
Why don't you try client mode, as client bridge isn't the best method, it's really a flawed way for repeating a signal.

Tried, but still no luck. Even on wired connections to the DD-WRT 'repeater' router (now, just a client) when it's just setup as a client, the DD-WRT device stops providing a connection to the internet after ~10-15 seconds.

Thanks for your help and suggestions, though. I'll continue to try new builds when they are released.
fsales
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 18:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hey guys,

I am struggling with a repeater mode configuration.

I have a Huawei HG8247H optical fibre modem with wireless AP.

Then I have a TP-Link TL-WA854RE Rev. V1 running DD-WRT (build 29308).
I have configured everything and tried multiple configurations.

I have posted some screenshots here:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=288868&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=60

The problem is that the repeater mode only work correctly for 1 to 3 min, then I stop getting internet at all, without changing anything naturally.

I don't know what else to do. Do you guys have any idea or suggestion?

Thanks
nxt
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 17:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
Is there a bug with the firmware lately that doesn't allow the wireless virtual interface to broadcast a different SSID or (the current one for that matter_
Fobio
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 18:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
nxt wrote:
Is there a bug with the firmware lately that doesn't allow the wireless virtual interface to broadcast a different SSID or (the current one for that matter_

I thought I was the only one. I posted a reply here:

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=278749

Fobio wrote:
Using the latest firmware r30016. When I:

Then in section Virtual Interfaces just below, click on the Add
And under the Virtual Interfaces ath0.1
Wireless Network Name (SSID): dd-wrt_WDS_AP (for virtual SSID enter the SAME SSID name as used in the first router)
Click SAVE

...The WDS Station would lose connection to the WDS AP and I'd have to remove the VAP for the bridge to reestablish itself.

I basically followed this:

Virtual Interfaces (ath0.1, ath1.1, etc.)
Click Add
Wireless Network Mode: AP
Wireless Network Name (SSID): Same as the host router if you want a repeater, or different from the host router if you want your own separate network or for other advanced configurations
Wireless SSID Broadcast: Enable
Click Save
Wireless Security: Match the host router, exactly including capitals & security algorithm. EX: host using WPA2 Personal AES will still work if the repeater is set to WPA2 Personal Mixed AES, for whatever reason, as it includes the algorithm in use (WPA2-AES)
Click Save
Network Configuration: Bridged if you want a repeater to extend the current network of the host router, unbridged if you want your own separate network & are an advanced user
Click Apply Settings
Fobio
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 19:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
To clarify above, I have a steady WDS AP/Station setup of a pair of matching Archer C7 v2. Everything works fine...until I add a VAP on the WDS Station...

It doesn't matter what SSID I use, the moment I turn on the VAP, I lose the WDS/ath1.sta1 bridge...no connection to WDS AP at all. The moment I remove the VAP, the WDS/ath1.sta1 bridge returns.

Does the current implementation of WDS negate the need to create a virtual AP for repeating signal?

BTW, I have ath0 on the WDS Station with the same SSID as ath1.sta1 and it's bridged correctly...so right now, I have clients that connect to the 2.4GHz on WDS Station, WDS bridge betwee WDS Station and AP on 5GHz as ath1.sta1 and I have clients that connect directly to 5GHz to the WDS AP. *I want to be able to repeat the same SSID on the WDS Station and VAP isn't working for me to do so.

Any help is much appreciated!
Fobio
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 6:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
After a bunch of testing, and setting up a VAP on the WDS Station, I've come to the conclusion that the current implementation of WDS Station already repeats the signal from the WDS bridge/signal from the WDS AP. Pls correct me if I'm wrong.
Jazzyehcx
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 4:11    Post subject: WPA Security help Reply with quote
Hi,

I've already setup the wireless repeater bridged, everything is being broadcast perfectly even the secondary SSID I setup. I can see the signal for the wifi strong evn though im logged in to the primary SSID, then when I rry to log in to the secondary SSID which is secured by WPA it doesnt let me login I get "incorrect password" everytime, even if I change the password.

Thanks
Jazzyehcx
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 21:35    Post subject: I got it working but failed after a few days Reply with quote
Hello Everyone,

I was able to get the wireless repeater working I decided to disable the SSID and remove the security, then connect from there. However it only worked for a couple of days .. Shocked. Now it doesn't get any connection from the main router and I get a self assigned ip whenever I connect through the ethernet port and it only keeps connecting/loading on the wifi so I'm at a lost.. Confused I'm not sure if I should update the firmware for the E1200v2 again or what..

Here is my setup:
main router: modem router by the ISP
main router location: Living room
wireless repeater: Linksys E1200v2
wireless repeater location: Bedroom upstairs
operating system: OSX El Capitan
DD-WRT firmware: DD-WRT.V24-19519_NEWD-2_K2.6_mini-e1200v2.bin & DD-WRT.V24-29519_NEWD-2_K3.x_mega-nv64k.bin

So if anyone can shed some light please let me know thanks..
tatsuya46
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 21:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
ur repeating with a broadcom unit, following a qualcomm atheros guide.. check the broadcom section

BrainSlayer wrote:
we just do it since we do not like any restrictions enforced by stupid cocaine snorting managers

[x86_64] Haswell i3-4150/QCA9984/QCA9882 ------> r55488 std
[QUALCOMM] DIR-862L --------------------------------> r55460 std
▲ ACTIVE / INACTIVE ▼
[QUALCOMM] WNDR4300 v1 --------------------------> r50485 std
[BROADCOM] DIR-860L A1 ----------------------------> r50485 std

Sigh.. why do i exist anyway.. | I love you Anthony.. never forget that.. my other 99% that ill never see again..

jenisbob
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 2:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
Scenario:
Main Router --D-Link DIR-615e4 installed with DD-WRT with DHCP ON and working fine..

2nd Router -- TP Link TL-WR740N V5 installed with DD-WRT
and connected to Main Router via CLient Bridge (Routed)

2nd router flashed with betas/2016/08-16-2016-r30432/tplink_tl-wr740nv5..and successfully connected to main router and internet is also working fine WHEN DHCP DISABLE on 2nd router ...

but when i configure DHCP ON on 2nd router ,i am not getting internet access ...

Please guide veterans how can i manage to get internet access with dhcp on on 2nd router ...

Thanks in advance....
ry15
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 17:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hello everyone,

I have a TP-Link 300Mbps Wireless N Router (Model no. TL-WR841ND Version 10.0) and I need to turn it into a repeater. My primary router is Technicolor.

I downloaded factory-to-ddwrt.bin and tl-wr841nd-webflash.bin Version 10 and installed everything just fine. The problem is that when the router wont connect to the primary one, the Ping isn't giving me any response.

My primary IP is 192.168.1.254
Could it be because I made my secondary IP into 192.168.1.1 ?

Sorry I'm all over the place with my explanation, any way I can clarify everything let me know

Thanks so much!
insanitor
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 8:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi there:

I have just spent the last 6 hours trying to get Client Bridged mode to work.

I have been using this guide:

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Client_Bridged

My configuration:

1st router/modem combo: Cisco DPC3941T

2nd router Netgear WNDR3700v4 Qualcomm Atheros

dd-wrt version: 11-14-2016-r30880

modem/router encryption: WPAWPA2-PSK (TKIP/AES)

Problem:

The internet connection will work after performing step 20 but no matter what I do it will drop a few minutes later and it will never reconnect.

My version of dd-wrt has no repeater bridge option.

Other options not available:

No option for ac wireless in dd-wrt so no exact match for wireless network mode, probably because the second router has no ac speed capability.

Missing settings problems

Only settings for 2.4ghz on modem/router: 802.11n, 802.11g/n or 802.11b/g/n

Only settings for 5ghz on modem/router: 802.11 ac, 802.11 n/ac or 802.11 a/n/ac

No channel width setting on modem/router

No setting for Key Renewal Interval (in seconds) on modem/router

Router networking info:

Default Gateway Address IP 10.0.0.1
Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0
DHCP Beginning Address: 10.0.0.2
DHCP Ending Address: 10.0.0.253

Can anyone help me out?
insanitor
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 5:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
UPDATE:

Client Bridged mode still not working but Client mode does.

I used this tutorial:

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Client_Mode
cdnjj
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 19:34    Post subject: Re: Archer C7 as repeater - Internet stops working after 5-1 Reply with quote
I'm having the exact same issue as dancfuller reported on my WNDR3700v1. The unit works as a repeater for about 30s then internet traffic stops. All local traffic continues to work fine. An IP renew restarts the 30s clock.

For reference, I started on build 23919 and now am on 30880 with the same results.

Was there a solution?

dancfuller wrote:
VSparxx wrote:

Tried, but still no luck. Even on wired connections to the DD-WRT 'repeater' router (now, just a client) when it's just setup as a client, the DD-WRT device stops providing a connection to the internet after ~10-15 seconds.

Thanks for your help and suggestions, though. I'll continue to try new builds when they are released.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14, 15  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 13 of 15
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: