Need Help if DD-WRT is Right Choice, Please

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.)
parcou
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 4:33    Post subject: Need Help if DD-WRT is Right Choice, Please Reply with quote
New here if posting wrong place please advise. I have recently purchased Linksys WRT1900ac v2. It has been fine so far I have used DD-WRT on older Linksys routers years back.

1. Will the current updates which I believer is ddwrt-linksys-wrt1900acv2-webflash give me a better performance over the OEM which last updated firmware 2015?

2.I hate the OEM wifi for guest that you have to go site and enter a password (does not redirect all time). I like creating a guest SSID with a separate password. Will that be possible with the DD-WRT flash?

Like most mostly all wifi with Arlo Netgear wireless cameras also wifi connection and strength are big. Guest wifi also but want a different SSID I can give people without redirecting to a webpage.

Any advice here?
Sponsor
Siliconaudio
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 4:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
Firstly, most of us here are using the later builds by the developer "Kong", as they are tweaked specifically for the WRT1900ac and are available here:

http://www.desipro.de/ddwrt/K3-AC-MVEBU/

You ask if it will give you better performance, I would answer by saying it will give more stable performance. You say the OEM firmware has been OK for you, but many of us have come to DD-WRT for stability, so maybe this is not the case for you?

Regarding the Guest access, yes, DD-WRT is much easier, you just set up a virtual interface and assign it an SSID for your guests. More info here.

You can flash with DD-WRT and later return to your OEM image if you want, because the WRT1900AC range have two partitions (as long as you don't flash a 2nd time from the DD-WRT partition). This is done by rebooting 3 times in a row.

Have a read of the Wiki and this forum and I'm sure you'll get a handle on things pretty quick. I've only been back to DD-WRT for a month or two after years away and I'm more than happy with it on my WRT1900AC v1.

Bill.
Yemble
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
Agreed. Stability is the key thing here. DD-WRT will not reboot unexpectedly, even after weeks / months of running.

Performance on Kong builds is as good as stock.
lim
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 9:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
I would agree with Silicon and Kemble.

As a beginner like yourself, I have had good experiences with Kong's builds for the WRT1900 series since first trying it in February. There have been gradual improvements during the past months and I have found that stability has been good throughout. The latest iteration, 29900 dated 12 June, seems to me to be particularly polished.

My advice - give it a go!

Regards, lim

parcou
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 23:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
To all thank you @Siliconaudio @lim @Yemble this is good news...

Stability is what I am looking for and my words were not correct the OEM is fine but there are times I have to unplug it and plug it back to get it back operating at level it should. So this is what I want...

I will download the Kong and find the instructions on how to apply it...thx again for steering me right direction all!
robertcope
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 1:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
I installed dd-wrt on my WRT1900ACS a few days ago. Initially, I was not happy, performance was just awful. I then installed a Kong build, hoping to improve performance. That didn't do it. Eventually, I fiddled with wifi settings and performance is seemingly back to OEM levels. Don't expect it to be great out of the box.

robert
Siliconaudio
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 3:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
robertcope wrote:
I installed dd-wrt on my WRT1900ACS a few days ago. Initially, I was not happy, performance was just awful. I then installed a Kong build, hoping to improve performance. That didn't do it. Eventually, I fiddled with wifi settings and performance is seemingly back to OEM levels. Don't expect it to be great out of the box.

robert

I had similar issues until I manually set a channel for the 5 GHz radio (was set to auto out of the box) - that seemed to be the one thing that kicked it into life for me. It's been working brilliantly ever since.

Other than that - rock solid all the way!
Yemble
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 7:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
robertcope wrote:

robert

Yep, avoid using Auto for either channel and stick to the non-DFS channels (lower numbers) initially, until you have proved your WAN performance. Once you have a decent baseline performance, then you are free to experiment...
lim
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 14:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
parcou wrote:
I will download the Kong and find the instructions on how to apply it...thx again for steering me right direction all!

Do let us know how you get on.

Regards, lim

parcou
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 4:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
lim wrote:
parcou wrote:

Do let us know how you get on.

Regards, lim

Kong has been great the entire household has notice the stability...I see there is a 6/24 but its so good I dont want to update Smile
htismaqe
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 15:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
I updated from 6/12 to 6/24 Kong doing it in-place (load the native DD-WRT image from within the GUI and just select "don't reset settings").

Haven't had a single issue and my users didn't even notice that wireless was unavailable while the router rebooted.

DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 17:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
htismage: by loading the image file from within the GUI, are you effectively placing the image on the "other" partition and overwriting the Linksys firmware? Or would this simply overwrite the dd-wrt partition?
Yemble
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 8:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
kagazi wrote:
htismage: by loading the image file from within the GUI, are you effectively placing the image on the "other" partition and overwriting the Linksys firmware? Or would this simply overwrite the dd-wrt partition?

All F/W updates flash to the other partition.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.) All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: