Bricked My New WRT1900ACS!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.)
Goto page 1, 2  Next
kagazi
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 23:47    Post subject: Bricked My New WRT1900ACS! Reply with quote
First time poster and I'm definitely a noob so please bare with me.

I set up the new router and it automatically installed the new firmware: 1.0.0.172978.

I attempted to flash to dd-wrt so I can set up my expressVPN in the router. Something went wrong in the flash process and my router went into an endless loop before timing out (router not found). I must have used the wrong file but the name of the file is: ddwrt-linksys-wrt1900acs.bin.

I went back to the site and noticed that this file which is dated June 12 is smaller then the one in the database, which is dated January.

Anyway, long story short I was able to get the router to reboot by the method outlined in a thread I read in this forum, but since the brick, I no longer have the option to browse for a firmware file.

I also noticed by chance as I was scrolling through the UI that the router thinks I'm accessing it remotely which may have something to do with the missing firmware browse button.

First, I'm looking for any advice/help to resolve the missing browse button. Is there another way to force a firmware upgrade?

Second and more importantly, can some please point me to a dd-wrt firmware for this router.

Thanks!
Sponsor
moccolo
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 0:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
turn off your router.

put your finger on the switch on the back, turn it on and immediately when the power light starts blinking turn it off.

do that 3 times in a row, the fourth turn it on and wait till it boots the firmware on second partition...

my advice. do that trick everytime when you want to flash, so you return to original firmware and than flash from there...
Vishwa
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 1:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
And one other thing. When you flash from the linksys partition, use the *.img file and not the *.bin file.
kagazi
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 1:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thank you! You're correct. I was using the wrong file. I finally figured it out and I'm in the process of setting up the router.
kagazi
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 2:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
moccolo: Thanks for the tip. I currently have a June 20 v3 r29974 build. If I understand you correctly, if there's a major update in the future I'll revert back to the Linksys firmware and proceed to update from there?

What are the *.bin files used for? Reverting back means having to set back up the vpn as well...
ATHF
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 4:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
kagazi wrote:
moccolo: Thanks for the tip. I currently have a June 20 v3 r29974 build. If I understand you correctly, if there's a major update in the future I'll revert back to the Linksys firmware and proceed to update from there?

What are the *.bin files used for? Reverting back means having to set back up the vpn as well...

.bin files are used to upgrade DD-WRT from within DD-WRT, which would put DD-WRT on both partitions.

Velop:2 WHW0101, RE6500, RE9000(AP)
Spectrum - 1000/50
SysLog Watcher 5, New security Onion box coming soon, Fingboxes, PiHoles, NEMS, Cacti, rpisurv
Yemble
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 8:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
kagazi wrote:

Once you have DD-WRT installed, you can use the BIN file to upgrade to newer (compatible) versions without losing any of your settings. It will, however, flash to the other partition. This is my normal method of upgrading Kong versions.
kagazi
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 12:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks for the good info and tips. I'm not very happy with the stock firmware and UI that comes with the WRT1900ACS so I guess it boils down to stability of firmware updates. The ease of not having to redo the VPN info in the router makes me lean towards using the *.bin.

I see "Kong" used here and I'm assuming he's one of the developers of the ongoing project? I downloaded a version of the firmware located in the "other" downloads section of the database. It was dated June 20 and appears to be the latest beta. However, there's no name associated with the beta. How do you know whos beta you're using? Also, when you say "compatible" does this mean that all of my future *.bin firmware upgrades should be by the same contributor?

Sorry for all the questions, but this is all new to me.
Eyerex
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 13:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hello i normally go via this page for latest builds from Kong

http://www.desipro.de/ddwrt/K3-AC-MVEBU/

Plus if you ever want to go back to the stock firmware just look in LinksysFW/ folder
moccolo
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 14:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
kagazi wrote:

Yes
myersw
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 14:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
kagazi wrote:

Going back to the Linkys firmware is how I prefer to do updates. That way I always have the "safety net" to fall back to if things go wrong. I also like to play with Openwrt as well as DD-WRT so keeping the Linksys firmware available helps in that.

Your question about the .bin files has a simple answer. That is the file you would use to upgrade DD-WRT from the DD-WRT UI. Be aware that if you have DD-WRT in one partition and Linksys in the other when you upgrade using the .bin file you will overwrite the Linksys firmware.

Hope this helps.

--bill

ISP:Comcast
tutorial for flashing "WRT" series:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=287813
DD-WRT Installation, Upgrade & Basic Setup–Cliff Notes:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=311117
Kong DD-WRT Config Tutorial:
http://www.instructables.com/id/Install-and-Configure-a-DD-WRT-Kong-Router/
I tried to be normal once. Worst 2 minutes ever.
johnnyNobody999
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 16:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
myersw wrote:
Going back to the Linkys firmware is how I prefer to do updates. That way I always have the "safety net" to fall back to if things go wrong. I also like to play with Openwrt as well as DD-WRT so keeping the Linksys firmware available helps in that.

Your question about the .bin files has a simple answer. That is the file you would use to upgrade DD-WRT from the DD-WRT UI. Be aware that if you have DD-WRT in one partition and Linksys in the other when you upgrade using the .bin file you will overwrite the Linksys firmware.

Hope this helps.

--bill

So, if you want to keep the Linksys firmware you will need to revert back to Linksys firmware and then use the dd-wrt *.img file. Or can you keep a copy of the Linksys firmware on your HDD/SSD if you want to revert back? I probably won't revert back to factory firmware but it may be necessary.

So far, I'm happy with the results of my dd-wrt flash to my WRT1900ACS. factory-to-ddwrt-r29968.img
moccolo
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 9:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
Quote:
So, if you want to keep the Linksys firmware you will need to revert back to Linksys firmware and then use the dd-wrt *.img file.

yes
PrudenceIslandGuy
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 19:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
newbie to the group so be kind... I'm hours into researching upgrade to MY new 1900acs, and this looks a good place to ask a question as its germane to this thread...

Don't know much about internals of the HW (e.g. 2 partitions???) but I simply want to flash the factory to DDWRT. I have the January version of factory-to-ddwrt.img downloaded from the database. I've spent a ton of time in the Peacock thread... seems a monumental chore to do this flash... Can I not simply do the factory reset (pick your flavor of how to do THAT!), and simply pull in that IMG file, let it bake a while (maybe another reset of some flavor?), and be done? Surely it cant be as complicated as Peacock makes it our to be? Am I just being naieve here

Tks for patience and help....
Eyerex
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 20:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
PrudenceIslandGuy wrote:
newbie to the group so be kind... I'm hours into researching upgrade to MY new 1900acs, and this looks a good place to ask a question as its germane to this thread...

Don't know much about internals of the HW (e.g. 2 partitions???) but I simply want to flash the factory to DDWRT. I have the January version of factory-to-ddwrt.img downloaded from the database. I've spent a ton of time in the Peacock thread... seems a monumental chore to do this flash... Can I not simply do the factory reset (pick your flavor of how to do THAT!), and simply pull in that IMG file, let it bake a while (maybe another reset of some flavor?), and be done? Surely it cant be as complicated as Peacock makes it our to be? Am I just being naieve here

Tks for patience and help....

I normally use Kong builds http://www.desipro.de/ddwrt/K3-AC-MVEBU/ just look for the WRT1900ACS_factory_to_dd-wrt.img and then just go into the router setting and update firmware and after a few mins your be running DD-WRT
Goto page 1, 2  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.) All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: