Lost Password Recovery

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
cliffyboro
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 16:11    Post subject: Lost Password Recovery Reply with quote
Hi, I flashed my f0n router about 3 months ago. When I flashed it i set a network key and also a user:pass for the admin GUI.

I hardly used the router but today I turned it back on. I have the network key and can connect to the router and have internet access.

Then, I went on to forward some ports and got asked for my user:pass which I don't have.

Is there anyway to recover the user:pass? Or can I physically reset the settings back to default by the reset button on the router?

Thanks
Sponsor
Simon
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 19:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yes, turn on router, wait about 3-5 minutes for it to fully bootup, press reset button for 30s or until only power led is lit. Afterwards, wait until it reboots, your router should be at default settings
cliffyboro
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 19:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hey, I've just tried that a couple of times to no avil. No matter how long I hold the reset button down, the internet light still flashes. Do I need to disconnect my ethernet cable and stop my pc from auto connecting to the router?

Thanks
Simon
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 19:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
It may be RedBoot time.. I know it's a Pain!! but it might be a slightly damaged firmware! Sad

I've had to use RedBoot on several occasional... It never failed!

After doing the RedBoot installation, do the reset thing again..
cliffyboro
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 19:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
Is there a guide on what I need to do? I really don't have a clue to be honest. It was about 3 months ago when I flashed it and I just followed a tutorial.

Cheers
Simon
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 19:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
Try the DD-WRT Wiki, there you'll find almost everything! Including RedBoot instructions.

I recommend unplug it from power, unplug ethernet cable. Let it cool down for 15 minutes. Take it to another room, plug in power adapter, wait 3-5 min., now hold reset button for 30s. the ssid should now be "dd-wrt", login: root password:admin

If it still does not work try RedBoot re-installation of a known good firmware, eg 0331, or 0516.
tuxland
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 20:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
did you disable the "reset" switch in setup?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 20:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
I've thought of that already (Status of Reset Button), and the prob. is he cannot get into setup because of a lost password... and not using it for several months, he probably can't accurately remember if he did.

If all else fails, try RedBoot, if Redboot faild try JTAG, if JTAG fails, deposit it in the garbage or use it for spare parts.
tuxland
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 20:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
Simon wrote:

If all else fails, try RedBoot, if Redboot faild try JTAG, if JTAG fails, deposit it in the garbage or use it for spare parts.

or sent it to me Laughing

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 9:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
I can't remember disabling the reset switch. It doesn't seem like something I would do as I always like to have a back up plan.

I tried doing something by telnet but I still needed my password :shock:

EDIT: I also tried to ssh into the router but I still need the password.
Simon
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 17:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
It's hard to believe the reset button does not work after a reboot for your particular situation because everything else works. I've done it dozens and dozens of times. It worked each time. Even in cases of a bad flash. If the damage to the firmware is severe, RedBoot worked flawlessly (remember to reset to default after using RedBoot). You may just not be doing it correctly, or a defective router?
dvst8ion
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 16:46    Post subject: Try this Reply with quote
I have tried to RedBoot into my La Fonera and install new firmware b4. Every time I do, it keeps the old settings from the last firmware. So I have used the steps below to get rid of the settings and start new.

1. Download the firmware:
----Download and unzip a pre-converted Zip file:
-------7.1.1 version (Enable-SSH hole is OPEN in this version): (http://rapidshare.com/files/18083671/fonera_0.7.1.1_unpacked.zip.html NOT SURE IF THIS STILL WORKS - IF YOU NEED THE ORIG. FILES I HAVE THE ONES FOR THE 0.7.1.3, PM ME YOUR EMAIL IF THATS WHAT YOU NEED)
-------7.1.2 versions (Enable-SSH hole has been patched in this version):
2. You need 2 files from the steps above, kernel.lzma and rootfs.squashfs. Put these in your tftp-server root directory.

****If you don't have a tftp server, go download TFTPD and set one up.

3. Connect to the Redboot prompt and type in the following commands:

ip_address -l 192.168.1.254/24 -h 192.168.1.* (WHATEVER YOU SET YOUR IP TO)
fis init
load -r -v -b 0x80040450 rootfs.squashfs
fis create -b 0x80040450 -f 0xA8030000 -l 0x00700000 -e 0x00000000 rootfs
load -r -b %{FREEMEMLO} kernel.lzma
fis create -r 0x80041000 -e 0x80041000 vmlinux.bin.l7
fis load -l vmlinux.bin.l7
exec

Then you have a 100% stock La Fonera. Simply follow the guide in the Wiki to set it up with DD-WRT.

Good Luck.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: