wrt54g ver1.0 smartphone connection issue.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
stts
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 1:28    Post subject: wrt54g ver1.0 smartphone connection issue. Reply with quote
Hello. Just fired up my mothballed wrt54g ver1.0 with DD-WRT v24-sp2 (12/18/09) std - build 13491M VINT Eko loaded on it from along time ago. My wireless laptops connect with it no sweat. But I have android phones now and neither one of my Gallaxy S5's will connect to ddwrt. They connect to my motorola surfboard cable modem so I know the phones are eager wifi beavers. Is there a newer ddwrt that may correct smartphone connecting issues? I noticed in searches that other ddwrt routers also had smartphone connecting issues.
Sponsor
MDA400
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 1:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
Might want to try a newer build. With the link in my sig, select year> build date> broadcom> and flash the mini_wrt54g.bin file in there.

Might also be a good idea to reset to factory defaults when flashing from a build that old to make sure nothing outdated stays in the nvram.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 13:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks. I will give it a go. Glad to see the site back up again. Something happened and it vanished completely right after I posted. I was wondering if I broke the whole page with my post. Smile It would appear in the searches that nobody has posted anything about this router since back in 2010. It has been an awesome router back in my kazaa and emule days thanks to DD-WRTs features to wirelessly connect to other routers. Now I just plan to use it to extend the range of my wireless so wifi phone calling at home is strong and relyable on all floors.
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 16:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
I am pretty sure that router needs a vint build. It is as old as a dd-wrt router can be.
LOM: "If you show that you have not bothered to read the forum announcements or to follow the advices in them then the level of help available for you will drop substantially, also known as Murrkf's law.."
stts
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 17:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yea I was looking thru all those roms and the minis would fit in the flash. But I was wondering about the ram. I have a vint in there now and theres not much ram left free. I saw a mini voip build in there too. I may try that first. Thats really all I need. VOIP connections with smartphones. Im done file sharing with this. They dont sue you any more so I just bittorent strait from my provider.
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 17:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
That router would not handle file sharing demands. Vint, not VOIP is needed. This is linux, not windows: unused ram is wasted ram.
LOM: "If you show that you have not bothered to read the forum announcements or to follow the advices in them then the level of help available for you will drop substantially, also known as Murrkf's law.."
stts
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 18:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well maybe not these days, but in its heyday this router spent a decade 24/7 emuleing terra bytes from open networks. Its been nothing short of awesome. Thats why I never threw it away after I stopped using it, now that pretty much all networks are closed with WPA. So I figured maybe it might still be usefull for voip. My surfboard cable modem does wireless, but its voip drops calls alot. I wanted to see if old faithfull could do better. Smile This is the first WRT54G v1.0 ever made with the mini pci wireless card.
stts
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 21:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well I flashed the VOIP dd-wrt.v24_voip_generic from 6/6/2016 to see how far it would go and it didnt get very far. Doing the slow red light flash routine. Its a little bit awake but none of the resets clear it up. So Ill have to get my serial cable out of moth ball too. Smile Once I get it running again, Ill flash a few more of the more recent builds in the mini and micro range. If it turns out only that old vint eko build is as best that it gets, then its not going to be much use with no smartphone connection support. I have not been here in along time and I was amazed that you guys were still pumping out roms for all these newer routers. I may get a new router so I can load the latest DD-wrt with all the latest features. Smile
thenotwellman
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 0:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
why not try the build recommended in the peacock thread for the older linksys routers. yours will not run with the newd builds you need vint.

ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/others/eko/V24_TNG/svn12548/dd-wrt.v24-12548_VINT_voip.bin
stts
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 2:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well I wasnt looking for something older as I figured none of the old stuff would connect to smartphones. But I didnt find any VOIP at all in the peacock thread faq so Im glad you posted this. Ill load this as my recovery rom to get it going again. If my smartphones link up, then its a home run. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: