Linksys EA6500v2 DD-WRT install tutorial

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Cincinnatus
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 18:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
jwh7 wrote:
Cincinnatus wrote:
Trying to flash 29264, but the firmware version reports:
Firmware: DD-WRT v24-sp2 (12/24/13) std
You can try ctrl-F5 to force a browser cache override refresh, but the likely issue (unless there's something specific to your model) is either that version has grown too big to fit the flash, you selected the wrong firmware and its too big, or you used the option to reset after the flash. These will make the flash appear to work, but reports success in only a few seconds. You should use "Don't Reset" then use the GUI Factory Defaults reset after the flash.

Looking at the instructions again, it seems that the second flash with 26653 never took hold after the "initial flash" of 23204. I suppose I'll try to flash 23204 again, following immediately with 29264 (specifically for this router) and see what happens.

Stand by...
Sponsor
Cincinnatus
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 21:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
I still can't seem to get past 23204. I have tried 26653 and 29264 via the GUI with no luck.

Can someone lend a hand? I'm willing to completely reset the router and start from scratch, if that will help. Perhaps uploading it via SFTP and SSH to flash? Would that work?
Cincinnatus
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 14:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
Just a quick update for those of you who are having trouble flashing newer builds via the GUI without success, I've found something that worked for me and thought I'd pass it along.

Using the instructions from the 6300 thread here (clicky)[props to 'butterworth'], I used this process:

- Services -> Secure Shell -> Enable SSHd
- Administration -> Remote Access -> Enable SSH Management
- Using an SFTP utility (Filezilla, WinSCP, etc.), upload the build file of your choice to the user directory (probably /tmp/root, but yours may be different)
- Using an utility of your choice (Putty) log into the router via SSH (probably 'root' and 'admin') and issue these commands:
- cd /tmp/root (or wherever you uploaded the file)
- mtd -f <buildfilename.bin> linux2
*wait about 3-5 minutes for file to write*
- mtd -f <buildfilename.bin> linux
*wait about 3-5 minutes for file to write*
- erase nvram (only if you want to wipe settings)
- reboot

That did it for me. Hope it works out for you guys.
themitch
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 20:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have updated the thread to show recovery options. This will help in the event of a boot loop. I am aware of the startup script throwing an error when you run it from the commands area. I have tested it, and when it is placed in the startup script and saved it DOES in fact reduce the size of the NVRAM significantly. I am not sure if the bug has been fixed, but I am guessing that since DD-WRT uses closed source from Linksys (who has stated they are not fixing the problem) that it still remains. Finally, this is a thread for DD-WRT, not tomato, not OPEN-WRT or any other firmware out there. I do not use those, and I will not be doing so in the near future. Questions regarding other builds belong in their respective product forums, not in this thread or the DD-WRT forum in general.

I have also taken steps to ensure that future notifications from this thread do not end up in spam, and will do my best to answer any further questions. Please do your part and READ/FOLLOW the updated instructions before asking questions. If I see you have skipped a step I will ignore you.
Rjmessing
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 21:23    Post subject: Linksys EA6500v2 DD-WRT install tutorial Reply with quote
Hey guys I'm new to DD-WRT. I was following one of the other threads here and ended up with bricking my router (for purposes of making this easier, for me at least, I'll call it a soft brick as it was stuck at the bootloader.) Well to make a long story short I couldn't put anything on it whatsoever using the Windows TFTP software, and believe me I tried everything I could think of, and using different strategies (30-30-30, various firmware). Well last night after the thing has sat for like 3 weeks was to further search internet for a solution. I bumped into this thread, and well I was successful in getting A firmware on the stupid EA6500v2.

As I said I tried 3 different windows TFTP programs and none would get me past the bootloader, or seemed to. I even used half a dozen different firmware from original to latest and greatest dd-wrt, but none seemed to take.

Here's what I did using all the settings that I applied to the computer I used with success (early 2009 Macbook)
1. Set Static IP to something within routers range.
2. Set Network adapter to 10mb half Dup.
3. Using the mac's terminal program and using the TFTP commands (can be found https://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/TFTP_flash):
connect 192.168.1.1
binary
rexmt 1
timeout 60
trace <--Added (Packet Tracing)
verbose <--Added cause I wanted to see what was going on
4. Power cycled router and ran put dd-wrt.vXX_XXX.XXX in the TFTP terminal window
5. watched the verbose text till it was done. Router rebooted and successfully came up on Firmware.

Not only did I get the initial DD-WRT from themitch's Tutorial at the beginning but I was successful in reapplying an OEM Firmware on it as well. Granted not everyone has access to a Mac but I thought I'd share this success.

I did have a problem of upgrading from the initial DD-WRT firmware to the new 29519 version. But I got around that by TFTP install. At least the initial showed me that I could get a firmware running as that was the first success using the above method for my soft bricked router. I just installed the OEM Firmware to just see if same method would restore OEM after a 30-30-30 reset.

Tried the adapter settings on my windows machine and I was successful putting OEM and DD-WRT on my EA6500v2. Just for thoroughness I set adapter back to original settings and at 1gb I was successful as well. So to me this says that either the nvram retained what was still needed to reinstall a OEM firmware even after a 30-30-30 reset or with my initial success of reinstalling the OEM from the macbook, that install fixed the nvram. Grasping at straws in that as I'm not well versed in this yet.
John-Galt
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 15:53    Post subject: Re: Linksys EA6500v2 DD-WRT install tutorial Reply with quote
themitch wrote:
8. Immediately navigate to the Management>Commands section, copy the code below and paste it into the commands box.

Code:
#Clear nvram null entries
for line in `nvram show | grep =$ `; do var=${line%*=}; nvram unset $var;
done

As the comment states, these commands will clear all empty entries from nvram, thereby staving off the dreaded 32k nvram bug in this model...

9. Scroll down and click "run commands". After it finishes, click "save startup"

Hi themitch,

First, thanks for creating and maintaining this post, it is very helpful.

I went through the process exactly as you wrote it, except I went with r28598 after the initial install of r23204.

When I execute step 9 above, I get the following error:

Code:
sh: eval: line 3: syntax error: unexpected word (expecting

That is all I get. I saved it anyway, and my router is working well (so far). I'm currently using 24.84kb of NVRAM.

Any idea what the error is or how to fix it?

Should I downgrade to r26653?

What is the latest version that is working well for people with the EA6500v2?

Thanks again for your work!
egc
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 16:54    Post subject: Re: Linksys EA6500v2 DD-WRT install tutorial Reply with quote
I am from the EA6900, which shares the same problems Sad

The word "done" must be on the same line like this:
for line in `nvram show | grep =$ `; do var=${line%*=}; nvram unset $var; done

John-Galt wrote:
themitch wrote:
8. Immediately navigate to the Management>Commands section, copy the code below and paste it into the commands box.

Code:
#Clear nvram null entries
for line in `nvram show | grep =$ `; do var=${line%*=}; nvram unset $var;
done

As the comment states, these commands will clear all empty entries from nvram, thereby staving off the dreaded 32k nvram bug in this model...

9. Scroll down and click "run commands". After it finishes, click "save startup"

Hi themitch,

First, thanks for creating and maintaining this post, it is very helpful.

I went through the process exactly as you wrote it, except I went with r28598 after the initial install of r23204.

When I execute step 9 above, I get the following error:

Code:
sh: eval: line 3: syntax error: unexpected word (expecting

That is all I get. I saved it anyway, and my router is working well (so far). I'm currently using 24.84kb of NVRAM.

Any idea what the error is or how to fix it?

Should I downgrade to r26653?

What is the latest version that is working well for people with the EA6500v2?

Thanks again for your work!
Sad Sad
John-Galt
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 19:23    Post subject: Re: Linksys EA6500v2 DD-WRT install tutorial Reply with quote
egc wrote:
I am from the EA6900, which shares the same problems Sad

The word "done" must be on the same line like this:
for line in `nvram show | grep =$ `; do var=${line%*=}; nvram unset $var; done

Thanks for the tip, but I still get the same error with that version.

Sad
John-Galt
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 20:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
Is anyone running anything new that r28598 on the EA6500v2?
themitch
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 21:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm still pulling the latest beta every few weeks.
John-Galt
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 21:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
themitch wrote:
I'm still pulling the latest beta every few weeks.
Is there a recent build you can suggest as a rock solid build to move to? I'll probably update my build quarterly.
themitch
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 21:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
I can say that I haven't had issues with the July 1 build. That said they fixed the bugs I was having issues with over a year ago. My personal startup script has deteriorated to near obsolescence. It only has the line to stay the 32k nvram issue.

I'd say if what you have works and you're concerned about stability just keep what you have. If you don't mind the small potential for having to go through firmware recovery, go for the latest.
cpw7922
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 15:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have been following these steps exactly but I keep running into this issue when I try to install the initial file. Any advice?

Capture.PNG
 Description:
 Filesize:  36.25 KB
 Viewed:  13237 Time(s)

Capture.PNG

themitch
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 4:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
*EDIT*

I checked and found that there is a new firmware file at the linksys website. Attached is a link to a zip file with the old linksys, initial flash and the current latest build.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzjcN2dCI70CR3VRbnktVzlRelU/view?usp=sharing

I would check and see if you have the v2 router and firmware files. Otherwise I will need to dig out my spare and test it out. Let me know.
cpw7922
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 14:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
themitch wrote:
*EDIT*

I checked and found that there is a new firmware file at the linksys website. Attached is a link to a zip file with the old linksys, initial flash and the current latest build.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzjcN2dCI70CR3VRbnktVzlRelU/view?usp=sharing

I would check and see if you have the v2 router and firmware files. Otherwise I will need to dig out my spare and test it out. Let me know.

I did double check and I do have the v2 router. I tried the files in your link but I am still getting the same error.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 4 of 7
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: