Linksys ea8500 port is ready

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 123, 124, 125  Next
wheaton4prez
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 23:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
tatsuya46 wrote:
1.1.5? well thats probably why. and what model us or non us? u didnt say

I can't verify now because I've flashed to 1.1.4. But, I think that it was a typo when I wrote 1.1.5 earlier. I'm pretty sure it came loaded with 1.1.4.168206.

I'm pretty sure that it's a US model. Bought in the US via Amazon.
Sponsor
wheaton4prez
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 23:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
Can I use tftp to do the initial factory-to-ddwrt flash? Or, does that have to be done from the oem gui?
tatsuya46
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 23:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
u need to serial connect for tftp. instructions i posted from kong on page 18.

image of serial connection https://community.linksys.com/t5/Wireless-Routers/EA8500-powers-down-after-around-6-hours-or-so/m-p/956379/highlight/true#M304641

BrainSlayer wrote:
we just do it since we do not like any restrictions enforced by stupid cocaine snorting managers

[x86_64] Haswell i3-4150/QCA9984/QCA9882 ------> r55797 std
[QUALCOMM] DIR-862L --------------------------------> r55797 std
▲ ACTIVE / INACTIVE ▼
[QUALCOMM] WNDR4300 v1 --------------------------> r50485 std
[BROADCOM] DIR-860L A1 ----------------------------> r50485 std

Sigh.. why do i exist anyway.. | I love you Anthony.. never forget that.. my other 99% that ill never see again..

wheaton4prez
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 0:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thank you. That looks over my head. I've used tftp to restore other routers to OEM. So, thought it might be the same (I didn't have to use serial. Just software: pumpKIN).

Anyway, on to the good news! Progress!

It looks like I now have dd-wrt installed which should be good news for others wanting to buy and flash in US right now (no idea of course if you will also get one with a workable firmware though).

This is what worked for me:

1. Flash to OEM firmware OLDER than 1.1.4.168206. I happened across a 1.1.3.166845
2. Restore factory defaults.
3. 30/30/30
4. Flash Kong's current factory-to-ddwrt build.
5. Enjoy.

My only concern now is that it worked for me on the very first flash. So, does that mean that stock FW is still on the second partition, waiting to mess something up at some point? Is that secure to have firmware on the second partition with a password of "admin"? Is there a way to wipe that partition or check that it has dd-wrt on it?
tatsuya46
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 1:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
ubootenv get boot_part checks what partition its set on, ubootenv set boot_part 1 or 2 sets which partition to next boot off of. its not like a computer u cant access the other partition while its not running it, doesnt matter what ur login info is for the other ddwrt or stock fw image

BrainSlayer wrote:
we just do it since we do not like any restrictions enforced by stupid cocaine snorting managers

▲ ACTIVE / INACTIVE ▼

Sigh.. why do i exist anyway.. | I love you Anthony.. never forget that.. my other 99% that ill never see again..

wheaton4prez
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 2:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
tatsuya46 wrote:
ubootenv get boot_part checks what partition its set on, ubootenv set boot_part 1 or 2 sets which partition to next boot off of. its not like a computer u cant access the other partition while its not running it, doesnt matter what ur login info is for the other ddwrt or stock fw image

Thank you.

If I use ubootenv to switch to the other partition and it turns out to be oem, is there a way through oem firmware to switch back again?
tatsuya46
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 2:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
flash back to ddwrt on it since u found a working solution, just flash whatever non encrypted stock fw that worked then flash ddwrt img, dont need to reset between do that after ddwrt is on it if u want. to go back to stock use the webrevert file.

backup the stock fw img in case linksys takes it down later in attempt to get everyone on fcc's encryption

BrainSlayer wrote:

▲ ACTIVE / INACTIVE ▼

moonglows
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 7:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
wheaton4prez wrote:
Thank you. That looks over my head. I've used tftp to restore other routers to OEM. So, thought it might be the same (I didn't have to use serial. Just software: pumpKIN).

Anyway, on to the good news! Progress!

It looks like I now have dd-wrt installed which should be good news for others wanting to buy and flash in US right now (no idea of course if you will also get one with a workable firmware though).

This is what worked for me:

1. Flash to OEM firmware OLDER than 1.1.4.168206. I happened across a 1.1.3.166845
2. Restore factory defaults.
3. 30/30/30
4. Flash Kong's current factory-to-ddwrt build.
5. Enjoy.

My only concern now is that it worked for me on the very first flash. So, does that mean that stock FW is still on the second partition, waiting to mess something up at some point? Is that secure to have firmware on the second partition with a password of "admin"? Is there a way to wipe that partition or check that it has dd-wrt on it?

I'm glad it worked out for you! A little late but maybe it will help someone in the future. I had a EA8500-WM with 8830-22537 Rev A00. I did this for my buddy as well and he had a EA8500 with Rev A00. I don't know the other numbers for his model.

To clarify--when I said manual login, I never connected the internet to the router. Once it was in factory default state I never let it complete its 'quick setup' procedure where it attempted to connect to the internet. I had to manually login using the admin/password credentials in the webgui in order to do anything. When I did attempt the flash it would always say it succeeded even when it appeared to boot back up as the old linksys firmware. Then after a couple tries, it said the flash succeeded and it actually did succeed. Smile
wheaton4prez
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 13:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
tatsuya46 wrote:
flash back to ddwrt on it since u found a working solution, just flash whatever non encrypted stock fw that worked then flash ddwrt img, dont need to reset between do that after ddwrt is on it if u want. to go back to stock use the webrevert file.

backup the stock fw img in case linksys takes it down later in attempt to get everyone on fcc's encryption

Good advice. I backed up the set of relevant firmwares.

Too afraid to switch partitions though. I spent a lot of time getting it to this point. Given my limited knowledge in this area, I might just let sleeping partitions lie.

moonglows wrote:
I'm glad it worked out for you! A little late but maybe it will help someone in the future. I had a EA8500-WM with 8830-22537 Rev A00. I did this for my buddy as well and he had a EA8500 with Rev A00. I don't know the other numbers for his model.

To clarify--when I said manual login, I never connected the internet to the router. Once it was in factory default state I never let it complete its 'quick setup' procedure where it attempted to connect to the internet. I had to manually login using the admin/password credentials in the webgui in order to do anything. When I did attempt the flash it would always say it succeeded even when it appeared to boot back up as the old linksys firmware. Then after a couple tries, it said the flash succeeded and it actually did succeed. Smile

Thank you. Definitely good information. With the 2x and 3x flash requirement, without having seen it work before, it's difficult to deduce whether or not a flash worked or if you're just on your first leg of the process. Knowing that it should say "success" can help someone move on to other variations if they get the "can't connect to router" message instead.
tatsuya46
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 7:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
wheaton4prez wrote:
tatsuya46 wrote:

Good advice. I backed up the set of relevant firmwares.

Too afraid to switch partitions though. I spent a lot of time getting it to this point. Given my limited knowledge in this area, I might just let sleeping partitions lie.

moonglows wrote:

Thank you. Definitely good information. With the 2x and 3x flash requirement, without having seen it work before, it's difficult to deduce whether or not a flash worked or if you're just on your first leg of the process. Knowing that it should say "success" can help someone move on to other variations if they get the "can't connect to router" message instead.

this unit seems pretty unbrickable via serial connect. ive done it so i can guide u if u want.. (broken nightly build, i got "greedy" so...ya..)

BrainSlayer wrote:

▲ ACTIVE / INACTIVE ▼

wheaton4prez
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 16:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thank you. What is the first step? I'm assuming that I need a certain cable. I read something about serial to USB. Something I can order on Amazon?
Wolf Kodi
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 7:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
You're looking for a ttl adapter like this usb one: http://www.amazon.com/Armorview-PL2303HX-RS232-Module-Converter/dp/B008AGDTA4

YouTube | Facebook Page
Per-user Live Down/Upload Rate Monitoring [No PC needed!]
tatsuya46
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 23:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
yes ull need 1 of those first

BrainSlayer wrote:

▲ ACTIVE / INACTIVE ▼

wheaton4prez
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 0:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ok. Ordered. Will follow up in a few days when it arrives.
Stompound
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 23:45    Post subject: EA8500 JFFS2 Reply with quote
Hey guys,

Wondering if you can help me out here. I just can't seem to figure out how to get JFFS working on my EA8500 with dd-wrt because I want to setup Pixelserv on it. I did it once about 5 or 6 years ago on a different router, and it was really easy back then, but now I just can't seem to get it to work correctly.

I tried turning it on in the administration section but all I get is:
Total / Free Size 1280.00 KB / 0

I also tried with an old USB 2.0 stick in the USB2|eSata port. Formatted it as ext2 and mounted it in the Services section and told it to mount the partition to /jffs and for disk info I get:
Diskspace /dev 0 / 512.0K 0%
Diskspace /jffs 1.3M / 0 100%
Diskspace /jffs 1.3M / 0 100%

I noticed Kohmei's post from February, and he talks about the webgui trying to mount the wrong mtd section, but I'm trying to mount a USB Drive, so I feel like I'm missing some other step somewhere. Can someone help me out or at least give me a shove in the right direction?

Thanks

PS: Forgot to mention I'm running DD-WRT v3.0-r29134 std (02/19/16). Will it help if I upgrade to a newer version maybe?

PPS: Upgrading to the newest release here ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/2016/05-10-2016-r29621/linksys-ea8500/ seems to have me worse off than before. My Router is now stuck in a reboot loop it seems. Can't access via webgui, ssh nor ping. And the lights on the back seem to work normally for a bit and then cycle through left to right (which I'm assuming is a reboot).
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 123, 124, 125  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 20 of 125
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: