Linksys ea8500 port is ready

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 123, 124, 125  Next
Wolf Kodi
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 5:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks for the log spam fix update kong!

YouTube | Facebook Page
Per-user Live Down/Upload Rate Monitoring [No PC needed!]
Sponsor
DonKauchuk
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 21:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
<Kong> wrote:

Just had a quick look at the new fw images. US fw is encrypted now.

It is possible that the webif checks for a US region and then decides if it needs to decrypt etc.
Most likely it is not possible anymore to flash US versions from webif. I don't intend to publish any workarounds for this.

The latest non US version has a new tag, I'll check if updating the tag is enough to make it work again.

FNG here, ignorant question - if I were to buy a brand new EA8500 at amazon/whatever right now - would it be possible to flash DD-WRT? In other words, do they ship with a flashable version of firmware?
tatsuya46
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 22:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
non us version yes, if its a us version maybe..but after unbricking mine i had a thought, since it was by serial connection using tftp, i wonder if that method would bypass & overwrite the encrypted firmware..since flashing/unbricking that way is before the firmware even boots. but too afraid to update mine to latest stock fw to try it (assuming EA8500-CA is = to us version)

BrainSlayer wrote:
we just do it since we do not like any restrictions enforced by stupid cocaine snorting managers

[x86_64] Haswell i3-4150/QCA9984/QCA9882 ------> r55797 std
[QUALCOMM] DIR-862L --------------------------------> r55797 std
▲ ACTIVE / INACTIVE ▼
[QUALCOMM] WNDR4300 v1 --------------------------> r50485 std
[BROADCOM] DIR-860L A1 ----------------------------> r50485 std

Sigh.. why do i exist anyway.. | I love you Anthony.. never forget that.. my other 99% that ill never see again..

Last edited by tatsuya46 on Tue Apr 26, 2016 23:44; edited 1 time in total
AlexAu
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 23:02    Post subject: super Reply with quote
I was waiting for this

Last edited by AlexAu on Tue May 24, 2016 14:58; edited 1 time in total
Wolf Kodi
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 23:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
tatsuya46 wrote:
non us version yes, if its a us version maybe..but after unbricking mine i had a thought, since it was by serial connection using tftp, i wonder if that method would bypass & overwrite the encrypted firmware..since flashing/unbricking that was is before the firmware even boots. but too afraid to update mine to latest stock fw to try it (assuming EA8500-CA is = to us version)

Chances are that you can still flash it if you have serial access, and hence access to the CFE or boot loader before the new firmware that checks for encryption boots up. But this still means you need to have serial access. A firmware update does not update the CFE. Unless newer US models are being loaded with a new CFE that checks for encryption.

Mine uses U-Boot ver: 1.0.9

But tatsuya's right for not risking such an expensive piece of equipment.

YouTube | Facebook Page
Per-user Live Down/Upload Rate Monitoring [No PC needed!]
DonKauchuk
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 23:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
I guess I'll have to just try and post results here Smile
wheaton4prez
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 11:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
DonKauchuk wrote:
I guess I'll have to just try and post results here Smile

Any luck? I'm interested in trying the same thing.
DonKauchuk
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 1:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
no, decided to go a different route (Archer C7 v2/OpenWRT)
bjamm
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 2:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ive got two of these ea8500 routers and having a hard time getting decent range on them. They work great when in the same room.

Wanting to try to go back to stock on one of them and see how it responds with the range. However upon uploading firmware to the DDWRT page it reboots into ddwrt after flashing FW_EA8500_1.1.4.169978_prod.img

Flashed multiple times but no luck going back to stock. Currently on 3.0-r29519 4/25/16 update.

Thanks
tatsuya46
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 3:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
see the settings link below for more decent wifi settings that defaults..mine has the best range i seen in a router.

see many pages back for a webrevert file i posted, u cant use straight stock fw file to revert & if u revert make sure to not update the stock firmware or u might make that unit impossible to flash off of stock again

BrainSlayer wrote:
we just do it since we do not like any restrictions enforced by stupid cocaine snorting managers

▲ ACTIVE / INACTIVE ▼

Sigh.. why do i exist anyway.. | I love you Anthony.. never forget that.. my other 99% that ill never see again..

wheaton4prez
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 16:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
tatsuya46 wrote:
ea8500 is not flashing..uploads the fw reboots, still linksys fw. did it twice, used factory-ddwrt.img

edit: i downloaded the latest ea8500 fw (same ver it came with anyway), reflashed that, then flashed ddwrt again, this time it worked

I'm having this same problem.

I bought a new EA8500. It says that it's loaded with 1.1.5.168206 firmware. Based on reading this thread, that sounds good since it's not the encrypted FW.

But, I can't get dd-wrt to take. I tried re-flashing the same OEM FW that you posted earlier in this thread. But, that didn't seem to change anything. I could be missing something regarding flashing to 2 partitions though. Is that accomplished just by flashing twice through webgui? Or, do I need to do something different to switch partitions in between webgui flashes?

One curious new detail is that my box has a different revision code: 830-22536 Rev. B00

I suppose they could have introduced some mechanism somehow that prevents going to dd-wrt even starting from the older xxx206 FW.

Any ideas on what I can try to get dd-wrt onto this thing?

TheLucas wrote:
I had the same issue with 1.1.4.169978. Flashing 1.1.4.168206.img from this thread (I didn't try http://cache-www.belkin.com/support/dl/FW_EA8500_1.1.4.168206_prod.img though) as well as Kong http://desipro.de/ddwrt/K3-AC-IPQ806X/ and BS ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/2016/ factory to dd-wrt failed. I ended up using restore previous firmware from the https://www.linksyssmartwifi.com/ -->Troubleshooting/Diagnostics menu. That put me back to 1.1.4.168206 from which was able to flash Kong's EA8500-factory-to-ddwrt.img (which had to be flashed 3 times).

One thing I could try in order to imitate the above path would be to upgrade to OEM xxx978, then use Troubleshooting/Diagnostics to revert back to xxx206 and then flash Kong's build. But, I'm afraid to touch xxx978 at all, risking that it locks me in there with no way to get back to xxx206. Suggestions?
moonglows
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 7:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
wheaton4prez wrote:
tatsuya46 wrote:
ea8500 is not flashing..uploads the fw reboots, still linksys fw. did it twice, used factory-ddwrt.img

edit: i downloaded the latest ea8500 fw (same ver it came with anyway), reflashed that, then flashed ddwrt again, this time it worked

I bought a new EA8500. It says that it's loaded with 1.1.5.168206 firmware. Based on reading this thread, that sounds good since it's not the encrypted FW.

But, I can't get dd-wrt to take. I tried re-flashing the same OEM FW that you posted earlier in this thread. But, that didn't seem to change anything. I could be missing something regarding flashing to 2 partitions though. Is that accomplished just by flashing twice through webgui? Or, do I need to do something different to switch partitions in between webgui flashes?

One curious new detail is that my box has a different revision code: 830-22536 Rev. B00

I suppose they could have introduced some mechanism somehow that prevents going to dd-wrt even starting from the older xxx206 FW.

TheLucas wrote:
I had the same issue with 1.1.4.169978. Flashing 1.1.4.168206.img from this thread (I didn't try http://cache-www.belkin.com/support/dl/FW_EA8500_1.1.4.168206_prod.img though) as well as Kong http://desipro.de/ddwrt/K3-AC-IPQ806X/ and BS ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/2016/ factory to dd-wrt failed. I ended up using restore previous firmware from the https://www.linksyssmartwifi.com/ -->Troubleshooting/Diagnostics menu. That put me back to 1.1.4.168206 from which was able to flash Kong's EA8500-factory-to-ddwrt.img (which had to be flashed 3 times).

One thing I could try in order to imitate the above path would be to upgrade to OEM xxx978, then use Troubleshooting/Diagnostics to revert back to xxx206 and then flash Kong's build. But, I'm afraid to touch xxx978 at all, risking that it locks me in there with no way to get back to xxx206. Suggestions?

The step by step for me was I was I have a US unit and was also on an older firmware when I had first purchased the unit. I immediately upgraded to 168206 by downloading it from userdrivers (not sure I'm allowed to link to it directly so you might just have to google for it). I then reset to factory defaults and went straight to kong's firmware on http://desipro.de/ddwrt/K3-AC-IPQ806X

I think it took 2x 30-30-30 resets and subsequent flash for the firmware to take but from there there was no problem going to the normal BS builds.

I suggest that you try the 30-30-30 or factory reset from the webui, manual login and then attempt the kong flash immediately without any additional config changes. I would do it via wired connection if possible.
wheaton4prez
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 15:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
moonglows wrote:
wheaton4prez wrote:
tatsuya46 wrote:

TheLucas wrote:

The step by step for me was I was I have a US unit and was also on an older firmware when I had first purchased the unit. I immediately upgraded to 168206 by downloading it from userdrivers (not sure I'm allowed to link to it directly so you might just have to google for it). I then reset to factory defaults and went straight to kong's firmware on http://desipro.de/ddwrt/K3-AC-IPQ806X

I think it took 2x 30-30-30 resets and subsequent flash for the firmware to take but from there there was no problem going to the normal BS builds.

I suggest that you try the 30-30-30 or factory reset from the webui, manual login and then attempt the kong flash immediately without any additional config changes. I would do it via wired connection if possible.

Thank you. Mine came with 206 already. But, I will try going to a previous build and following your steps exactly.

To clarify, when you write "manual login" are you meaning logging in to the webgui and using their manual firmware update routine? Or, are you meaning logging in with telnet or something?
wheaton4prez
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 16:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ok. This is what I tried, step-by-step:

1. WebGUI: Flash to OEM FW: FW_EA8500_1.1.3.166845_prod.img (GUI reported success)
2. WebGUI: Flash to OEM FW: FW_EA8500_1.1.4.168206_prod.img (GUI reported success)
3. WebGUI: Restore Factory Settings. (GUI reported success)
4. 30/30/30
5. WebGUI: Flash Kong FW: EA8500-factory-to-ddwrt.img (GUI eventually says can't connect to router)
6. 30/30/30
7. WebGUI: Flash Kong FW: EA8500-factory-to-ddwrt.img (GUI eventually says can't connect to router)
8. 30/30/30
9. I am greeted with OEM FW: 1.1.4.168206

Anything that I did wrong or could try differently?

A few questions:

A. The US model that worked for you, do you know by any chance what the "Rev" reference is? Mine ends with "B00" while others seem to have had an "A" variation.

B. When you flashed Kong's build, did the GUI report a successful flash? Or, did it eventually say that it can't connect like mine?

C. Does anyone know if I can try flashing the Non-US latest firmware and then use the "WW" Kong build?

Thanks again for your help troubleshooting. I'm starting to think that this "B00" version may have something in place somewhere that blocks flashing dd-wrt...

Side note: As I have tried different builds/processes, occasionally, it DOES say in the GUI that a Kong or BS build flashes successfully. But, it seems to happen randomly and rarely. 90% of the time it eventually just says that it can no longer connect to the router. Does this give anyone a hint about what is happening?
tatsuya46
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 22:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
wheaton4prez wrote:
tatsuya46 wrote:

TheLucas wrote:

1.1.5? well thats probably why. and what model us or non us? u didnt say

BrainSlayer wrote:

▲ ACTIVE / INACTIVE ▼

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 123, 124, 125  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 19 of 125
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: