WRT1200AC and odd internet issue

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.)
imdrewizard
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 13:39    Post subject: WRT1200AC and odd internet issue Reply with quote
Ok, so to be clear, I am relatively savvy in networking. I have flashed other devices with DDWRT before and had issues that were easily solved with a Google... but this... this one is weird.

At random intervals, the internet literally just... stops, but here's the weird part (for those Dr. House types):

I still have a WAN IP (TWC), and apparently directly connecting to the modem gives an WAN IP to the device (I am in Bridge mode with an Ubee modem). Also, the internet works fine when directly connected with the public IP.

On the WRT1200AC side of the network, I can still access my server with no delay, and safely shut it down remotely. I can access everything on my local network. I also have a little 8-port Gigabit switch in the network box to extend my network from the WRT1200AC, just to mention it.

Another weird thing... rebooting the router, modem, and switch (either by cycling power or in the case of the router just logging in and rebooting) does not fix the issue.

However, if I power cycle the power to the surge protector in the box, everything comes back up no problem. This seems to be the only fix at this point. This also all started after a flash of the BETA build for the WRT1200AC.

My theory is that it is just the firmware, but I guess I am not savvy enough to know how to check the logs for errors... any help is welcome Smile
Sponsor
Kokoloko
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 12:59    Post subject: I got the same problem too Reply with quote
Any luck on resolving this issue?
I got the same problem, everything looks OK except it seems like there is no traffic going towards the Wan...
Brewder
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 14:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
I HAVE HAD THIS EXACT SAME ISSUE! Glad it just wasn't me.

Here's a post I made about it..

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=301216

One routine I found that worked for me when this "routing" issue happens, is to:

1. Turn OFF the cable modem.
2. in DD-WRT, Release the DHCP address for the WAN.
3. Wait about 5-10 Minutes
4. Power ON the cable mode.
5. Reboot the router

Most times that fixes it... But I got so frustrated, that I moved to a Kong build of DD-WRT this past Monday, and so far this issue hasn't happened.

//Brew
Yemble
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 14:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
Maybe entering the ISP's DNS addresses into the static DNS fields of the router might help?
Brewder
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 15:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
That's exactly how my old setup was configured... no love.

//Brew
Kokoloko
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 11:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yemble wrote:
Maybe entering the ISP's DNS addresses into the static DNS fields of the router might help?

Before trying to flash a Kong build I defined static DNS servers and so far everything works great for over 24 hours! Thanks for the advice, did you encounter this sort of issue before or was it just a guess?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.) All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: