dd-wrt initial installation on tp-link archer c8

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
grjjsli56
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 0:23    Post subject: dd-wrt initial installation on tp-link archer c8 Reply with quote
Because this is my first post here I want to say hello to everyone Smile

Yes, I read all 3 announcement. Yes I search forum and wiki. And I have some doubts. I just bought my archer c8. Before I done that I check is there are dd-wrt .bin for that particular model. I found on Supported Devices that dd-wrt support this router model and also I found those files.
At first I thought it will be pretty easy, I will download archer-c8-webflash.bin or factory-to-ddwrt.bin and flash it via TP-LINK web gui flasher, reboot router and voila! dd-wrt is now on my router. But after I read more and more I'm not so sure its proper way. Better ask than sorry so I ask here.

I read Installation wiki but it isn't clear me much. Also I read Peacock Thread-FAQ but after that still I have some doubts. So I need to ask here, is my initial thought are ok?
To proper install I should 30/30/30 than upload (via lan, not wifi) one of those bin files (which one?), and after proper reboot and few more minutes another 30/30/30?
Should I do something more/else or different?

My router is TP-LINK Archer C8 v2
Original Firmware Version:
3.17.0 Build 20150716 Rel.55646n

P.S.
Sorry for my poor English.

Thanks in advance Smile
Sponsor
grjjsli56
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 15:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
Update:
I understand that I should do:
1. 30/30/30
2. flash factory-do-ddwrt via tp-link webgui flasher
3. 30/30/30
4. flash archer-c8-webflash.bin

Is that correct? Or I miss something?
Xeon2k8
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 19:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
grjjsli56 wrote:
Update:
I understand that I should do:
1. 30/30/30
2. flash factory-do-ddwrt via tp-link webgui flasher
3. 30/30/30
4. flash archer-c8-webflash.bin

Is that correct? Or I miss something?

Welcome to the forum.

First of all v1 is the one supported by DDWRT not v2, although I think they are mostly the same. But seeing that there are already problem to get v1 working on ddwrt like here

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=300765

Then I wouldn't take the risk if I were you. I have a v1 and I'm buying an R7000 because there is not much support yet for c8, like you can't go back to factory firmware and I'm seeing that it is not going to be possible for a while, so I gave up on this router. If I were you I would return it and buy a better supported router.

In case you still want to keep this one, the steps for the V1 if I remember correctly were

1- downgrade to eldest firmware you can find on TPLINK webpage.
2- factory reset from UI or button.
3- use factory to ddwrt bin file
4- factory reset again (UI, nvram command, button) and you are set.

30/30/30 is useless on ARM routers.
grjjsli56
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 20:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
@Xeon2k8 thanks for your replay.
I spend some time here before I bought this router. I thought that if this model is on Supported devices site I can "safely" flash it.
R7000 its to costly for me. What other router is "well supported" if supported device list are not trustworthy to check there?
Xeon2k8
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 22:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
grjjsli56 wrote:
@Xeon2k8 thanks for your replay.
I spend some time here before I bought this router. I thought that if this model is on Supported devices site I can "safely" flash it.
R7000 its to costly for me. What other router is "well supported" if supported device list are not trustworthy to check there?

For TPLINK on Broadcom routers c9 is in a more advanced state, they have revert to stock and more support, but it is more expensive. C7 is Atheros chip which are pretty stable on ddwrt by now so it is a good option too, you should probably check on the forum about it and current state. The other options that I know are Netgear 6250 that should cost about the same as C8, it is really stable and also is supported by Kong's build which is a real plus. The downside is internal antennas and only 1 USB3.0.

Also Asus routers are really good on ddwrt, also some models supported by Kong, I think 56U and 66U are really common here but I don't know for sure and their cost.
grjjsli56
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 11:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm not sure I can return my C8 after it has already use. Anyway, thanks for your help. Maybe something will change soon, and I flash my C8 safely.
Xeon2k8
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 14:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
grjjsli56 wrote:
I'm not sure I can return my C8 after it has already use. Anyway, thanks for your help. Maybe something will change soon, and I flash my C8 safely.

In that case it would be most likely that your flashing goes fine, but there is a high risk that you brick it. In case it succeeds if you find that for example your 5ghz wifi is weak or LAN is slow or some other annoying thing, you would be stuck in ddwrt until who knows.

Anyway good luck whichever the path you take and let us know.

PS. Don't use any build before Feb-2016, they override your MAC address and will make it harder to go to stock if a method comes out some time.
grjjsli56
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 16:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
Xeon2k8 wrote:

In that case it would be most likely that your flashing goes fine, but there is a high risk that you brick it. In case it succeeds if you find that for example your 5ghz wifi is weak or LAN is slow or some other annoying thing, you would be stuck in ddwrt until who knows.

Anyway good luck whichever the path you take and let us know.

PS. Don't use any build before Feb-2016, they override your MAC address and will make it harder to go to stock if a method comes out some time.

Thanks for advise and warnings. I think I will put this router to my other place and in few weeks I will buy another one. Maybe one of those asuses you wrote about.
SSVegeta
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 22:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi, anyone coul install the wrt firmware on Archer C8 v2? I already flash the v1 by tftp but the router keep restarting every 10 seconds. Help please
SSVegeta
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 4:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
SSVegeta wrote:
Hi, anyone coul install the wrt firmware on Archer C8 v2? I already flash the v1 by tftp but the router keep restarting every 10 seconds. Help please

I already found the solution
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=1083450#1083450
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: