WRT1200AC locked out after firmware upgrade

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.)
LondonerSteve
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 20:52    Post subject: WRT1200AC locked out after firmware upgrade Reply with quote
Hi everyone,

I just got a WRT1200AC and it worked fine out of the box. I am using a Mac and I downloaded the image for the firmware upgrade and went through mysmartwifi.com to upgrade. Now I can't login, I get a non-private IP address, a default gateway of 255.255.0.0 and no router/default gateway address. I've tried hard resets multiple times but can't login. Any advice?

Many thanks in advance for any help or guidance offered.

Cheers,
Steve
Sponsor
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 22:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
Try to turn it on and off rapidly by the switch 3 times. It should then boot to the other partition.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 9:59    Post subject: No go Reply with quote
I tried that to no avail. I can't seem to login, no matter what. I tried the 30-30-30 technique as well.

Is there a default router address (besides myrouter) that techs use to get in?
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 10:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 11:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yes, I tried the default IP address as well. I'm not getting a default gateway (as you can see from the screenshot), so any IP address I put in gets me no response. Have I bricked the router?

Could it be in some type of Bridge Mode? If so, how could I log in then?
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 11:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
Which file did you use?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 12:59    Post subject: Re: WRT1200AC locked out after firmware upgrade Reply with quote
LondonerSteve wrote:
Hi everyone,

I just got a WRT1200AC and it worked fine out of the box. I am using a Mac and I downloaded the image for the firmware upgrade and went through mysmartwifi.com to upgrade. Now I can't login, I get a non-private IP address, a default gateway of 255.255.0.0 and no router/default gateway address. I've tried hard resets multiple times but can't login. Any advice?

Many thanks in advance for any help or guidance offered.

Cheers,
Steve

I have a WRT1900AC and this happens to me a LOT after firmware upgrades... for whatever reason, the HTTP UI doesn't work... So I log into the router via Telnet, and issue the reboot command. After the 3rd time, the HTTP UI works... Go figure.

A simple way to test is to try connecting on port 80 via TELNET... so:

telnet 192.168.1.1 80

If the router is in a fubar state, you'll get a connection refused message.... Otherwise, it will respond with some gobbly gook. If it does, then I bet you can access via your web browser.

//Brew
Fez27
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 19:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
LondonerSteve wrote:
Yes, I tried the default IP address as well. I'm not getting a default gateway (as you can see from the screenshot), so any IP address I put in gets me no response. Have I bricked the router?

Could it be in some type of Bridge Mode? If so, how could I log in then?

try the Linksys smart wifi URL. might work...

Suggestion:

When upgrading dont use the smartwifi portal.
Use IP address to get to Linksys stock screen, say manual set-up and choose local on the bottom right and login, this should still be reflecting the IP in the URL and not smart-wifi.

before downloading the file clear your cache (Browing histor) and before flashing clear your cache as well. I prefer IE for flashing but isn't important as I understand but the clearing cache is especially important right before flashing as this can cause corruption (Bricked my EA6900 like that, had to TFTP to rescue it - took me 72 hours to work out how to get that right)

I follow this each time with my WRT1900AC V1 and never have issues.

Your situation is weird as the router should have failed over to the second partition which in theory should have the firmware you flashed from,, ie Stock in your case.

FYI: Not sure whether this is mentioned in too many places on the forum but it is definitely recommended to flash from the first Linksys Stock firmware not the latest stock firmware.

Old is 1.1.8.164461 and latest is 1.1.10.167514.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.) All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: