Nighthawk X8 R8500 AC5300 router available $400 msrp.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
cfbcfb
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 16:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
SirSilentBob wrote:

Dumb question, I'm sure, but are there even any mobile devices out in the wild that support connecting to radios like this? I tried searching but could find none.

As far as I know the only other device that can use the full capabilities at this time is another ac5300 router. And poorly at that. Read the smallnetbuilder and Dong Ngo's review of the unit, although those were a month or so ago. Middling 2.4GHz range and not thrilling AC throughput.

Quote:
It just seems like a lot of money to pay for a device that won't have its full capabilities used for quite a little while.

The shiny here is for people like me that have few 2.4GHz clients (although some that can use higher speed N), lots of older non AC 5GHz clients and a handful of AC1300 or better clients. I have a house full of ac1300 bridges that are waiting for their lower speed AC and non AC 5GHz peers. The tri band with auto selection of which radio the client connects to is a big positive. In 3-4 years when I have a handful of 4x clients will just be a nice to have.

Quote:
I don't know, I guess I am just disappointed that router manufacturers seem to be in a race to use the most wireless spectrum, whether there are actual devices that can actually USE it or not.

That's exactly what's happening. Broadcom keeps whapping out SOC's and the router manufacturers will keep making routers off of them.

Quote:
People that don't know better will just end up spending a lot of money and will no doubt simply assume that routers like the R8000 and R8500 are the "best" ones to get

And that's also what's happening. My girlfriend went over to bestbuy and told them about her 6500 square foot house and they foisted one of these on her. Unfortunately she has mostly 2.4 devices and would have benefited more from a strong 2.4Ghz performer like a nighthawk 1900.

I have one on the way because I can use it and because someone on ebay decided to sell theirs for well under $300.
Sponsor
tarekkkkkk
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 14:17    Post subject: Lost web gui after upgrading to latest firmeware Reply with quote
Guys i dont know what to say i tried to follow up this guide to get the gui back online http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=29181 but it seems its not working no matter what i do and im afraid i need to reset nvram to make it work which im trying to avoid, any tips is appreciated.

Note: firmeware upgraded is 02 feb on this link http://desipro.de/ddwrt/K3-AC-Arm/
DaveTheNerd
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 14:48    Post subject: Re: Lost web gui after upgrading to latest firmeware Reply with quote
tarekkkkkk wrote:
Guys i dont know what to say i tried to follow up this guide to get the gui back online http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=29181 but it seems its not working no matter what i do and im afraid i need to reset nvram to make it work which im trying to avoid, any tips is appreciated.

Note: firmeware upgraded is 02 feb on this link http://desipro.de/ddwrt/K3-AC-Arm/

I finally had to bite the bullet and do a settings reset on my R8500. I did it with the 1/15 builds and it's been great ever since. I did use a pared-down version of frater's backupessentials script to save my port forwards and DHCP reservations, but I most certainly did not keep anything having to do with wireless. That I set up 100% from scratch. Went pretty smoothly and all has been great since.
Timmy1024
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 16:47    Post subject: Should I Buy a R8500? Reply with quote
Hi guys,

I'm from a third-world country and I'm about to go to the US for one week. I'm in need of buying a router, so I was very excited to get me this R8500, but I read in the "Support" page that it still was in WIP for DD-WRT. Then I've found another post (from Kong, I think), saying that we shouldn't expect any development soon, because Netgear didn't get in contact with him. Finally, I've found this thread in where (it seems?) that Kong is already releasing something for the router (I don't know if it's a beta).

Would you recommend me getting this router on the premises that it would work with DD-WRT now/soon? If not, I could buy the R7000 (which is the latest listed on the Support wiki and available on Amazon), but I think it got a little bit outdated.

Please let me know what you think; thanks in advance.
DaveTheNerd
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 18:12    Post subject: Re: Should I Buy a R8500? Reply with quote
Timmy1024 wrote:
Hi guys,

I'm from a third-world country and I'm about to go to the US for one week. I'm in need of buying a router, so I was very excited to get me this R8500, but I read in the "Support" page that it still was in WIP for DD-WRT. Then I've found another post (from Kong, I think), saying that we shouldn't expect any development soon, because Netgear didn't get in contact with him. Finally, I've found this thread in where (it seems?) that Kong is already releasing something for the router (I don't know if it's a beta).

Would you recommend me getting this router on the premises that it would work with DD-WRT now/soon? If not, I could buy the R7000 (which is the latest listed on the Support wiki and available on Amazon), but I think it got a little bit outdated.

Please let me know what you think; thanks in advance.

While it would be correct to say that DD-WRT support is most certainly a Work-in-progress, that progress is coming along quite nicely. Kong has been releasing builds for the R8500 since 2015-12-21, and it's quite stable now (I most recently had 8+ days of uptime with it running as my main router, QoS, lots of wireless clients and bridges, all working quite splendidly!).

I think you'd be fine with it, but your mileage may vary, of course.
bushant
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 0:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have been unable to locate detailed instructions for flashing this unit as peacock says. Is it safe to use those found here?

http://myopenrouter.com/article/how-flash-dd-wrt-open-source-firmware-netgear-r8000-nighthawk-x6

And are these the correct files to start with.

This first
dd-wrt.K3_R8500.chk 04-Feb-2016 00:59 21M

And then straight to this?

dd-wrt.v24-K3_AC_ARM_R8500.bin 04-Feb-2016 01:02 21M

Before asking for help - Read the forum guidelines AND Upgrade DD-WRT!
Adblock by eibgrad + Blocklist Collection
HalfBit
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 2:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
bushant wrote:
I have been unable to locate detailed instructions for flashing this unit as peacock says. Is it safe to use those found here?

http://myopenrouter.com/article/how-flash-dd-wrt-open-source-firmware-netgear-r8000-nighthawk-x6

And are these the correct files to start with.

This first
dd-wrt.K3_R8500.chk 04-Feb-2016 00:59 21M

And then straight to this?

dd-wrt.v24-K3_AC_ARM_R8500.bin 04-Feb-2016 01:02 21M

As the dates on those two firmwares are the same, I'm willing to bet they are the same build. The .chk is for flashing from the OEM firmware, whereas the .bin is used if you already have DD-WRT running on the device.

WRT54Gv2
WRT54Gv8.2
~~~~~~~~~~Other Settings~~~~~~~~~
https://nextdns.io/?from=2d3sq39x
https://pi-hole.net/
https://github.com/DNSCrypt/dnscrypt-proxy
Night Prowler
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 17:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
bushant wrote:
As the dates on those two firmwares are the same, I'm willing to bet they are the same build. The .chk is for flashing from the OEM firmware, whereas the .bin is used if you already have DD-WRT running on the device.

A little off topic but to clarify what you said. If I have already flashed the router using the .chk file, I should only be using the .bin flash file once DD-WRT has been flashed using the .chk file?

What is the ramification of flashing a .chk after already flashing using a .chk file?

Thanks...

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 17:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
Night Prowler wrote:
A little off topic but to clarify what you said. If I have already flashed the router using the .chk file, I should only be using the .bin flash file once DD-WRT has been flashed using the .chk file?

You are correct.
Night Prowler wrote:
What is the ramification of flashing a .chk after already flashing using a .chk file?

I don't know. If it works, it works I guess. However, sometimes, especially with Kong's PTBs, the .chk file is not the latest build. It is simply a means to an end to get DD-WRT on the device, and the .bin's are the latest build--again, especially for Kong's PTBs.
Night Prowler wrote:
Thanks...

You're welcome.

WRT54Gv2
WRT54Gv8.2
~~~~~~~~~~Other Settings~~~~~~~~~
https://nextdns.io/?from=2d3sq39x
https://pi-hole.net/
https://github.com/DNSCrypt/dnscrypt-proxy
bushant
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 22:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
HalfBit wrote:

Yes, I believe these go together although I assume I could use any of Kong's .chk files first.
Thanks for the insight.

Before asking for help - Read the forum guidelines AND Upgrade DD-WRT!
Adblock by eibgrad + Blocklist Collection
ephemeris
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 15:24    Post subject: Re: Nighthawk X8 R8500 AC5300 router available $400 msrp. Reply with quote
labo wrote:

The other interesting feature is the availability of 6 LAN ports in addition to the WAN port (all GbE, obviously). Two of the 6 LAN ports come with 802.3addynamic link aggregation support in-built into the firmware. For select devices (such as certain ReadyNAS models), connecting both wired ports to ports on the device will automatically configure everything to take advantage of the teamed link. For example, it will be possible for two different wired clients or multiple Wi-Fi clients to stream out simultaneously from the NAS and get more than 1 Gbps of effective throughput from the NAS.

Is this functionality supported in the latest Kong builds? I have a Synology DS1513+ that supports link aggregation and I'd like to take advantage of it.
ATPF1082
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 18:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
I was disappointed to find that the latest build supports VLAN for only 4 of the 6 ports. Is there any reason to expect that a build will fully support all 6 ethernet ports soon?
stalonge
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 8:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
guys ,

I received my r8500 yesterday and a moment after i flashed it using last kong build 3/30 (29300) .. *.chk ..

it is working just fine .. all 3 wifis , HDD 5tb / samba / Dlna / ftp / port forward / acess restriction / ipv6 ..
now it has 14 hours uptime ..

Very Happy Very Happy

1 R7800 54420 AP Wireguard webserver JFFS SAMBA FTP usb HD Mesh
1 R7800 54420 Cli Mesh
1 WZR1750 54389 AP Webserver Samba Wireguard
1 TP link Archer C7v5 54420 Cli Mesh
1 DD x86_64 48296 Gateway Samba Ftp Webserver
stalonge
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 9:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
Maybe Kong could fix a litle cosmetic thing ..

LED button of R8500 is not working .. Razz

Very Happy Very Happy

1 R7800 54420 AP Wireguard webserver JFFS SAMBA FTP usb HD Mesh
1 R7800 54420 Cli Mesh
1 WZR1750 54389 AP Webserver Samba Wireguard
1 TP link Archer C7v5 54420 Cli Mesh
1 DD x86_64 48296 Gateway Samba Ftp Webserver
DaveTheNerd
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 12:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
Now that here are others with this router in-hand, I'm curious if someone else can test the issue I'm seeing with mine. From a factory reset (or, really, any other state, too), change the security of one (or more) radios to WPA2/AES and hit "Apply."

When I do this, the router says its in WPA2 mode, but if I look from one of my clients, it sees the router in WEP mode. Sometimes a restart of the router resolves this, sometimes not.

Anyone else seeing this happen?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 15, 16, 17  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 3 of 17
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: