TRENDnet TEW-811DRU [experiences so far]

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
phorce1
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 8:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
Drill the holes and attach a small fan inside to move air through the case. You do **NOT** want to try to attach a different heatsink that will support the addition of a fan.

Attach the fan so it blows out through the holes you drill. That will draw air in through existing vent slots/port panel and across your heatsinks rather than just blowing down on one spot.

I'll post pictures of my horror box if I end up taking it apart again before putting it into service.
Sponsor
phorce1
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 9:05    Post subject: For those who wish to try all the images (and who use Linux) Reply with quote
I created a bash script that will download ALL of the 811dru .bin files from 2013 to today.

http://www.sysmatrix.net/~gvl2/getTEW811.zip

To use it create a directory for it and unzip the files

Then cd to that directory and "./getfirm.sh 2013.txt"

repeat with each of the .txt files

I created theis on 03/29/2016. The 2016.txt file will have to be updated when new images are added to the dd-wrt ftp servers after this date. Just add the complete directory name of the new top directories ("03-28-2016-r29362")to the end of the .txt file and re-run getfirm.sh. It will not re-download older .bin files that already exist.
oscarq
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 14:06    Post subject: 811DRU Stable suggestions Reply with quote
after having issues with the latest builds:
with buffer memory issues
(tried a lot of things to fix it)
the problems starts after a hour, dns go down and cant access the local http service, and no internet until you unplug power.

The most stable for version for me ATM:

Router Model
Trendnet TEW811DRU
Firmware Version
DD-WRT v3.0-r28598 mini (12/24/15)
Kernel Version
Linux 3.10.94 #5325 Thu Dec 24 07:34:03 CET 2015 armv7l

https://www.dd-wrt.com/site/support/other-downloads

betas › 2015 › 12-24-2015-r28598 › trendnet-811DRU

feel free to reply if there's a way to get this fixed eventually, i hope that helps.
tabletuser33
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 1:27    Post subject: Trendnet TEW811DRU Reply with quote
I started having bridge client lockups after about 3 good weeks on my TEW811DRU running a March 2016 firmware. I just updated to the ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/2016/04-25-2016-r29519/trendnet-811DRU/ latest firmware. Still having locks.

I tried running an external cooler before upgrading firmware. My router runs about 80 Celcius, I taped an old VGA cooler and now its down to 70 Celcius. Still seems a little hot. What is anyone else getting for CPU temp on their TEW811 or others?

Any suggestions on getting back a stable client bridge?

IMG_20160430_203953.jpg
 Description:
external cooling mod (alpha stage)
 Filesize:  89.39 KB
 Viewed:  18439 Time(s)

IMG_20160430_203953.jpg

zurien
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 13:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
Been running dd-wrt for about two years, atm this is the version I have on mine:

Firmware: DD-WRT v3.0-r29409 mini (04/05/16)
Time: 13:53:05 up 25 days, 19:13, load average: 0.00, 0.01, 0.04

CPU TemperatureCPU 73.0 °C / WL1 45.3 °C

temp ranges from around 68-78, no problems so far.

2.4ghz wifi off.
5ghz wifi on.
prax1s
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 6:02    Post subject: Re: 811DRU Stable suggestions Reply with quote
oscarq wrote:
the problems starts after a hour, dns go down and cant access the local http service, and no internet until you unplug power.

feel free to reply if there's a way to get this fixed eventually, i hope that helps.

In the main basic settings screen, click the "Apply Settings" button. You have to do this every time you boot up. I have had the same issue and this is the only successful fix I know of ATM.
bluzfanmr1
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 13:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
My 2 cents on this router, which I purchased about 3 months ago...

I ended up settling on this version: DD-WRT v3.0-r28112 mini (11/10/15).

Going past this version would cause all kinds of issues for me so I stopped there. It has been rock solid ever since. I do only use the 5Mhz wireless because the 2.4 is slow. I use another router for 2.4. I have a 100 Mbps internet connection but speed tests have shown consistent speeds up to 135 Mbps, and I sometimes see the bandwidth graphs hit close to 300 Mbps. Not sure exactly why but everything is very, very fast.

I've also successfully added a USB stick and installed Entware to be able to do a couple of cool things. YAMon3 is so awesome to have and I love it!

Another useful thing the router is doing is blocking ads on my network. I am able to offload the large hosts file to the usb stick, which made a big difference to the way the router runs. I am also able to use iptables to filter all dns requests in case the kids try to bypass the OpenDNS settings.

All in all it's been a steal at $20, as long as you don't need to rely on the 2.4 wireless.
matt12
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 3:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi @bluzfanmr1,

Thanks for sharing your info; I had been using as well this router exclusively as a 5 Ghz, in my case AC Only router (VHT 80 + 80); clearly this device it´s not good to work in 2.4 Ghz band. Can you provide some more details of your setup please. I´m using a more older build than yours and I would like to come to a more recent build; as well I had been struggling to get a stable performance on the more recent builds.

Apart of the good performance you mention on this DD-WRT v3.0-r28112 mini (11/10/15), are the status led lights working correctly?, "off" / "on" when radio is respectively "Off" / "on", and same for the USB status?.

Thanks.
bluzfanmr1
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 12:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
Here's the some of the wireless settings. Obviously use WPA2 Personal + AES for the wireless security. Also included are some of the other settings where I made a few changes.

One thing to note is that I did a lot of reading on TX Queue Length settings and then experimented with different numbers. I'm not exactly sure of all the technical details but when I set it significantly lower at "5" everything seemed a lot faster. I noticed the CPU loads increased and that helped with the stability of the router overall. Almost as if it was processing things quicker and the memory wasn't getting overloaded or clogged up.

I'm not posting every setting here so if you need any others just let me know.

Screen Shot 2016-05-13 at 7.25.20 AM.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  122.06 KB
 Viewed:  18030 Time(s)

Screen Shot 2016-05-13 at 7.25.20 AM.png

Screen Shot 2016-05-13 at 7.22.16 AM.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  96.07 KB

Screen Shot 2016-05-13 at 7.22.16 AM.png

Screen Shot 2016-05-13 at 7.20.38 AM.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  191.38 KB

Screen Shot 2016-05-13 at 7.20.38 AM.png

Last edited by bluzfanmr1 on Sun May 15, 2016 12:43; edited 2 times in total
matt12
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 5:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks bluzfanmr1,

I will give a try; the differences with my setup it´s that you use mixed mode AC/N and you use "beamforming" set to "off".
macexperts
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 12:02    Post subject: Re: 811DRU Stable suggestions Reply with quote
prax1s wrote:
oscarq wrote:

In the main basic settings screen, click the "Apply Settings" button. You have to do this every time you boot up. I have had the same issue and this is the only successful fix I know of ATM.

i've been running DDWRT for many months on this hardware w/o issues but recently have run into this same problem - the 'apply settings' works for a short while but mainly have had to power cycle - i've tried the latest May 2016 builds and reverted to April 25 2016 Nov 10 2015 and the Dec 2015 builds mentioned above in the thread as stable but I'm still continuing to loose the ability to surf. The router status page works fine -temps not atrocious - it doesn't make any sense. Has anyone found out how to fix this? It seems like its getting internally confused somehow - I am hoping I dont have to reset and reconfigure everything due to some data corruption with the settings being the cause - any input on this as being a possibility? Thanks in advance to all.
bluzfanmr1
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 12:37    Post subject: Re: 811DRU Stable suggestions Reply with quote
macexperts wrote:
prax1s wrote:
oscarq wrote:

i've been running DDWRT for many months on this hardware w/o issues but recently have run into this same problem - the 'apply settings' works for a short while but mainly have had to power cycle - i've tried the latest May 2016 builds and reverted to April 25 2016 Nov 10 2015 and the Dec 2015 builds mentioned above in the thread as stable but I'm still continuing to loose the ability to surf. The router status page works fine -temps not atrocious - it doesn't make any sense. Has anyone found out how to fix this? It seems like its getting internally confused somehow - I am hoping I dont have to reset and reconfigure everything due to some data corruption with the settings being the cause - any input on this as being a possibility? Thanks in advance to all.

I can sympathize with what you are experiencing as I've gone through this as well.

I believe this router can only handle a small number of basic things. This is probably why it was $20 on sale. Once you begin adding available services, it overloads and quits working like a router should work.

I tried probably about 25 different builds on this router. Pretty much every time, if I didn't reset to defaults and start from scratch on each new build, there would be weird issues and the router would crap out. I gave up trying to go past the version mentioned in my previous posts and just accepted that I wasn't going to be able to go any farther without issues. So I started from scratch at that version and everything has been rock solid since then.

All that being said, I found that adding a USB stick for additional space seemed to help stabilize the router. I was even able to install Entware and many of the features that come with it. It's almost as if the router has a ton of processing power, but not enough ram/memory to work with that power. I haven't studied all the technical aspects of this but I have no doubt that things solidified once I added the USB and stuck to a minimal amount of services expected from the router.
macexperts
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 21:44    Post subject: Re: 811DRU Stable suggestions Reply with quote
bluzfanmr1 wrote:
macexperts wrote:
prax1s wrote:
oscarq wrote:

I can sympathize with what you are experiencing as I've gone through this as well.

I believe this router can only handle a small number of basic things. This is probably why it was $20 on sale. Once you begin adding available services, it overloads and quits working like a router should work.

I tried probably about 25 different builds on this router. Pretty much every time, if I didn't reset to defaults and start from scratch on each new build, there would be weird issues and the router would crap out. I gave up trying to go past the version mentioned in my previous posts and just accepted that I wasn't going to be able to go any farther without issues. So I started from scratch at that version and everything has been rock solid since then.

All that being said, I found that adding a USB stick for additional space seemed to help stabilize the router. I was even able to install Entware and many of the features that come with it. It's almost as if the router has a ton of processing power, but not enough ram/memory to work with that power. I haven't studied all the technical aspects of this but I have no doubt that things solidified once I added the USB and stuck to a minimal amount of services expected from the router.
Yes it may be something like this. The router was doing very well and I was updating builds every few weeks without issues (this lead me to believe that some issues had been ironed out as the original build that Trendnet links too wouldn't surf or work at all for me when I first purchased this router - it even locked out the GUI interface and I had to telnet in to get that fixed) until the day of my last post. I was dreading doing a full reset because my setup would probably take 2 or 3 hours to manually rebuild. Eventually I reverted back to the 11/10/2015 build someone posted earlier and it eventually stabilized but I have no idea why. I am intermittently getting a no surf (half or partial load) on a page here or there but its infrequent enough it may not be the router. I may try to setup the USB again. Thanks for the input and feedback.
prax1s
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 23:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
If you dirty flash, dont reset, then don't complain about stability. You're asking for trouble.

Also try using TCP vegas instead of westwood.

As for the USB stick stuff, thanks for that info, I will try that as well, its an interesting suggestion.
prax1s
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 4:08    Post subject: Re: 811DRU Stable suggestions Reply with quote
bluzfanmr1 wrote:

What was your procedure for preparing/formatting the usb stick?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 9, 10, 11  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 6 of 11
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: