"EA6300V1" (Q87-EA6400) BCM4360

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 72, 73, 74 ... 97, 98, 99  Next
butterworth
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 17:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
Cincinnatus wrote:
it's probably a good idea to get it right.
I agree!
Quote:
was not able to SFTP to the device using the changed ID/PW
ID (username) is always "root" on DD-WRT for SSH and SFTP (WinSCP). The password is always what you set it to be. Hopefully this bit of info will save you from reverting or reseting the router in the future for firmware upgrades. I'll add a reminder to the install guide.
Quote:
the router came back with 29264
Seems about right for this router....
Quote:
I'm now showing 7E for the LAN, 7F and 81 for wireless, so it seems everything is good to go.
Congrats!
Quote:
Anyway, my thanks again for your help. Hopefully this dialog will help others.
It will. Enjoy your new router!
D-Link DIR-825 B1 (DD-WRT r29396)
Sponsor
Cincinnatus
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 19:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
butterworth wrote:
ID (username) is always "root" on DD-WRT for SSH and SFTP (WinSCP). The password is always what you set it to be. Hopefully this bit of info will save you from reverting or reseting the router in the future for firmware upgrades. I'll add a reminder to the install guide.
Yup, that was the problem. I was using myID/myPW and root/admin, and then root/00000000, then root/12345678, then... then... Wink
baskwo
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 23:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hey guys, does the uuid is important to have? Because I did a 30/30/30 so I have no more my uuid. Can I still change my CFE?
butterworth
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 6:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
baskwo wrote:
I did a 30/30/30 so I have no more my uuid. Can I still change my CFE?

You do not need UUID to install DD-WRT. You do need UUID if you want to go back to stock firmware - since you don't have the UUID, you can not go back. DD-WRT (or ASUS Merlin) is your only option.

Yes, load the CFE. In fact, you should follow the entire guide, skipping only the UUID lines.

uisik34
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 8:26    Post subject: Re: EA6400 Router Settings Reply with quote
uisik34 wrote:
Hello everybody,

I have just bought used EA6400 and flashed it latest ddwrt firmware with success and can log in.
I just want to know If there is any tutorial about simple settings on router for PPPoE - Wireless N+AC - USB Storage - Client and Bridge modes etc...

My problems;
PPPoE setting was made and Mac Cloned of my ISP router (both WAN and wlan) then could log in internet and access but after a while I loose signal of wifi each time. I tried to flash 2 different ddwrt revisions on router but the result was same.

Another weird status is even I change my router MAC and clone it to my ISP's some after time it changed to its default and lost internet connection (on latest ddwrt 29308v) status show wan and wlan id as routers original but in mac clone section it remains my required clone MAC values.

Any comments and suggestions will be so grateful here.

Thanks, UI

Well all above problems were fixed with the ddwrt firmware version 29316.

Even I applied Thermal fix on the router the temprature remains at same level 80-85C. I think this range is acceptable but what is the risk level of heating for this broadcom SoC?
Rebel1699
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 9:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have a problem I could use some advice on. As stated in an earlier post, I installed via butterworths post and all was great. Tonight, I decided to experiment. I set overclock to 1200, save and applied. Then reboot. It has been non responsive since. Port light on, but computer cant access the router "unidentified network". I have tried dhcp and setting the ip manually. Wifi networks on the router are also not broadcasting. In this position, what can I do?
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 9:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
Rebel1699 wrote:
I have a problem I could use some advice on. As stated in an earlier post, I installed via butterworths post and all was great. Tonight, I decided to experiment. I set overclock to 1200, save and applied. Then reboot. It has been non responsive since. Port light on, but computer cant access the router "unidentified network". I have tried dhcp and setting the ip manually. Wifi networks on the router are also not broadcasting. In this position, what can I do?

Why would you experiment like that if you don't have the knowledge to fix the ensuing problems.
You'll need to use serial recovery if you cannot get the cfe mini webserver to come up.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 9:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
Malachi wrote:
Rebel1699 wrote:

Why would you experiment like that if you don't have the knowledge to fix the ensuing problems.
You'll need to use serial recovery if you cannot get the cfe mini webserver to come up.

On the previous page, I saw a post about temps and said he was at 1200. I foolishly thought that if his was ok on it, mine should be as well. Oh well, ill either buy a cable or pop it in the trash. Either way, thanks for the reply.
butterworth
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 16:04    Post subject: Re: EA6400 Router Settings Reply with quote
uisik34 wrote:
Good to hear!
Quote:
I applied Thermal fix on the router the temprature remains at same level 80-85C. I think this range is acceptable but what is the risk level of heating for this broadcom SoC?
That is perfectly acceptable, and exactly what these packages seem to be designed for. It also means that the heat sink is in contact with the die (you're not seeing 100C+ temps that others have seen, therefore there is contact).

In fact, it's generally not high temperatures by themselves that break electronics packages (die attached via solder to a substrate, which is then attached to a motherboard/circuit board) - it's temperature cycling, i.e., going from hot to cold to hot to cold repeatedly. So just leave your router plugged in all the time, and the temperature won't vary more than 10 deg C or so.

70-90 deg C die temp is just normal for this kind of package.

A side note: if you play around with overclocking your personal computer (not router, which I wouldn't mess with; see posts above), never ever repeatedly "stress test" your machine for short periods of time (i.e., go-stop-go-stop-go-stop, etc). Every time you press "go" on prime95, you heat up your processor to its max. Every test counts as one thermal cycle. Rule 1 on computer processor (again, not router SoC, which is different): stay below 80C. Rule 2: temp cycles kill, not temps alone.

Likewise, every time you unplug your router, let it cool, then plug it back in, that's a temperature cycle. Once it's good and working, just leave it alone and plugged in.

My background: I'm a mechanical engineer doing analysis work for electronics packaging (literally answering this question on various silicon-die/solder/dielectric-substrate systems for a living). I actually know what I'm talking about here, versus just making an educated guess on a topic like how to install DD-WRT. =)

uisik34
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 20:20    Post subject: Re: EA6400 Router Settings Reply with quote
butterworth wrote:
uisik34 wrote:
Good to hear!
Quote:
I applied Thermal fix on the router the temprature remains at same level 80-85C. I think this range is acceptable but what is the risk level of heating for this broadcom SoC?
That is perfectly acceptable, and exactly what these packages seem to be designed for. It also means that the heat sink is in contact with the die (you're not seeing 100C+ temps that others have seen, therefore there is contact).

In fact, it's generally not high temperatures by themselves that break electronics packages (die attached via solder to a substrate, which is then attached to a motherboard/circuit board) - it's temperature cycling, i.e., going from hot to cold to hot to cold repeatedly. So just leave your router plugged in all the time, and the temperature won't vary more than 10 deg C or so.

70-90 deg C die temp is just normal for this kind of package.

A side note: if you play around with overclocking your personal computer (not router, which I wouldn't mess with; see posts above), never ever repeatedly "stress test" your machine for short periods of time (i.e., go-stop-go-stop-go-stop, etc). Every time you press "go" on prime95, you heat up your processor to its max. Every test counts as one thermal cycle. Rule 1 on computer processor (again, not router SoC, which is different): stay below 80C. Rule 2: temp cycles kill, not temps alone.

Likewise, every time you unplug your router, let it cool, then plug it back in, that's a temperature cycle. Once it's good and working, just leave it alone and plugged in.

My background: I'm a mechanical engineer doing analysis work for electronics packaging (literally answering this question on various silicon-die/solder/dielectric-substrate systems for a living). I actually know what I'm talking about here, versus just making an educated guess on a topic like how to install DD-WRT. =)

Well sounds made me comfortable. I just worried about after saw a few posts here some people had seen 20C decrease after thermal fix and seen 60s. maybe they mean at time of first boot up around 40s and reaches 60s in couple of minutes.
alexpp
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 21:43    Post subject: Re: EA6400 Router Settings Reply with quote
uisik34 wrote:

Well sounds made me comfortable. I just worried about after saw a few posts here some people had seen 20C decrease after thermal fix and seen 60s. maybe they mean at time of first boot up around 40s and reaches 60s in couple of minutes.

My router was reaching 105C when I decided to do the mod (thermal paste, etc). It went to 65C! Later, it kept reaching 90C. Did the router "unmodded" itself? Turns out that there is a HUGE diference in running the router in a hallway at 36C (I'm in Brazil) and a room with A/C at 22C blowing directly on the router.

Also, if I place the router vertically AND sideways, there is another 5-10C drop.
butterworth
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 23:29    Post subject: Re: EA6400 Router Settings Reply with quote
alexpp wrote:
My router was reaching 105C
And when you took the heatsink off, there was probably little to no impression or indentation from the die on the heatsink pad, right?
Quote:
It went to 65C!
And you probably had it in a cool room at the time?
Quote:
Later, it kept reaching 90C. Did the router "unmodded" itself?
Maybe, but probably not. It's probably in a warmer location.
Quote:
Turns out that there is a HUGE diference in running the router in a hallway at 36C (I'm in Brazil) and a room with A/C at 22C blowing directly on the router.
Yep. You'll probably see a ~14C rise (because the hallway is ~14C warmer). All component temperatures must be referenced against the room temperature to be really meaningful.
Quote:
Also, if I place the router vertically AND sideways, there is another 5-10C drop.
Yep. Naturally convective heat transfer 101.
butterworth
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 23:36    Post subject: Re: EA6400 Router Settings Reply with quote
uisik34 wrote:
Well sounds made me comfortable. I just worried about after saw a few posts here some people had seen 20C decrease after thermal fix and seen 60s.

That was my hope - I really think that 80C is fine for this application. Of course, if a cold router was the goal, we could absolutely do better. We could strap fans to the thing, drill holes, strap a coolermaster hyper 212 evo to the thing, but there won't be any additional performance gained for all that work and cost. Better to call it a day and go have a beer instead =)

Now, outdoor applications are a whole different ballgame...

Zefiro50
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 0:35    Post subject: 2.4Ghz Performance Improvement with R29193 Reply with quote
I wrote about how the 2.4Ghz on this was terrible staying in the single digit last month. Well now I've upgraded to R29193 (03022016) firmware and it appears the performance has gotten better. I'm hitting more double digits than before. It could be a fluke but I like this version.

Router
EA6300v1 (EA6400)
DD-WRT v3.0-r29193
Price: $4.99 Goodwill
hnws
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 17:19    Post subject: ultimate solution for cpu temp Reply with quote
CPU Temperature
CPU 53.6 °C / WL0 41.15 °C / WL1 47.63 °C

IMG_20160325_011537.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  59.05 KB
 Viewed:  12531 Time(s)

IMG_20160325_011537.jpg

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 72, 73, 74 ... 97, 98, 99  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 73 of 99
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: